Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Billy
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, my present 03-A has V&H Powershots with a Power Commander. It seems to run as well with a 30 tooth sprocket off the line as my last 03-A did with a 28 tooth sprocket while equipped with a CFR and gil's box. Both bikes had K&N filters (my older bike was topless, current bike not topless) I never put either on a dyno so I cant compare actual figures. My question is, what pipes installed on a stock motor and properly tuned with a Power Commander or like fuel management system produces the most HP. I have read post's saying some pipes actaully reduce HP. Just curious due to the noticeable difference in peformance between the two.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I say you don't need exhaust.Change the air filter to a free flowing style and have the ecm properly dyno tuned with the stock exhaust.You will be surprised at what you see.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I wouldn't even change the air filter. V-mod your pipes and tune it.
That's not how I've seen it work.the air filter and the sdjusting of the ecm is where the power is.
want to loose power? Swap the exhaust out with most of what's offered and you will do just that.

The original V-Rod pipes V-Modded are the best sound,but you don't have to do this for optimum power and performance.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
That's not how I've seen it work.the air filter and the adjusting of the ecm is where the power is.
want to loose power? Swap the exhaust out with most of what's offered and you will do just that.

The original V-Rod pipes V-Modded are the best sound,but you don't have to do this for optimum power and performance.
:them:

Factory spent a huge amount of time getting the pipes to work and produce good power, but a little light on the fuel for optimum output, blame the EPA. When you swap pipes you start again, no aftermarket pipe maker has the time and money to put in as much research. Most times all you get is louder!

·
Peaked At Birth
5,198 Posts
On my '05 CVO I get 120 RWHP with my CFR, PC3 usb, topless and K&N filter.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I wouldn't even change the air filter.
It's bigger than many quite powerfull car engines use. It's huge for a bike. Why does everyone jump on the K&N bandwagon? K&Ns filter about as well as chicken wire, they're a joke. Great marketing,though.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
It's bigger than many quite powerfull car engines use. It's huge for a bike. Why does everyone jump on the K&N bandwagon? K&Ns filter about as well as chicken wire, they're a joke. Great marketing,though.
It's big enough to supply the "volume" needed. Keep in mind it's not in open air like 99.9% of the MC's made. I think it's one of the V's best and most unique features. All that fockin' air and still minutely filtered. Just drill some holes in the plastic cover or go semi-topless - all the damn air ya need.
I agree that K&N's do not filter as well as stock. I run the SE, more flow and better filtering capabilities. I would not go as far as to call them a joke however.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Are you certain? Please define "best".
For what my ear likes and seems everyone else that listens to my V-Rods say they are the greatest thing they've ever heard.Better than the Ducs that are around.
A lot of people in the hood say they miss me riding off every morning when I used to go to work.They say they could hear me take off 5 miles away from the first red light.

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
I've got a number of mods on my Rod. Love the V&H slip-ons. People who know me, can hear me coming from blocks away and know it's me. When the dealers tech test rides my bike, it's likewise recognizable from a mile off.

As far as HP gains go - before I did my heads/cam/throttle body - we did a pull at the stealership and scored 116HP - with slip-on pipes, topless K&N & ECU.

I had the bike dyno-tuned yesterday and pulled 141HP with the mods listed in my sig. My tuner suggested that dumping the Thundercrap and going with HD SERT would net me yet another 5-7HP (and probably a more stable tune).

YMMV...

Rick

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
a "sert" is simply a conduit to your factory computer.
7hp?? WOW! That tells me he's not real confident in his tune on your bike. In any case, if in fact it's a true 141 RR, I believe you're maxed out with those mods if not lucky to even see those numbers.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I would be happy with a true 12% increase in rwhp at max rpms out of my 1250 that shows 115 and 83 on 3 different dynos.
I believe this would give me good street performance without having to worry about sacrificing durability of anything and let me make passes at the track down in the 10.90's.
If I could yank out a few high 10 second passes,I might be good for another year before I wanted more.

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
a "sert" is simply a conduit to your factory computer.
7hp?? WOW! That tells me he's not real confident in his tune on your bike. In any case, if in fact it's a true 141 RR, I believe you're maxed out with those mods if not lucky to even see those numbers.
:them: i thought the same thing, just couldn't put it into words yesserday.

·
Billy
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Having owned a Vrod for most of the last 6 years and subscribed to this forum for most of that time as well, I find it very interesting the changes in opinions over the years. I can only wonder how many dollars have been spent because a guys jump on the bandwagon for a mod, get pumped up and post about it and then as time passes I find that some of those mods are just hype. That goes as well for many asthetic mods that cost a plenty and then just don't give the same warm and fuzzy that was expressed in the posts. One of the most useless mods I ever wasted my money on was polished rotors, lots of cash and very little bling. I guess if I ever decide to change pipes again, I will go with the Bubs, simply because I think they look great even though they will deafen you. For what a set of pipes cost you would think they would provide more than just sound. Interesting debate though.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts