Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got 2003 left over and I am still in the "baby it until you hit 500 miles" stage. Yesterday while leaving work my friend pointed out that I was spitting dark smoke out of my pipes. As I revved I could see and smell the exhaust. I drove about 1/4 mile and it went away. I should mention it was around 45 degrees. This morning from a cold start I noticed I could see and smell the exhaust but it was much lighter in color. It was much warmer perhaps high 50's. This afternoon while in the high 60's low 70's it was even lighter but to be honest it was quite windy and it was difficult to see. Basically it looks like the colder it gets the darker my exhaust. I checked oil and it looks ok. Should I worry?

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
No.

But if you keep sniffing your exhaust, gasoline, brake fluid, drain oil, etc. you will suffer permanent brain damage.

Unless you bike is making thick blue/black (bad piston ring) or white (blown head gasket) smoke, it is extremely unlikely anything is wrong with your bike.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
noinfo said:
I just got 2003 left over and I am still in the "baby it until you hit 500 miles" stage. Yesterday while leaving work my friend pointed out that I was spitting dark smoke out of my pipes. As I revved I could see and smell the exhaust. I drove about 1/4 mile and it went away. I should mention it was around 45 degrees. This morning from a cold start I noticed I could see and smell the exhaust but it was much lighter in color. It was much warmer perhaps high 50's. This afternoon while in the high 60's low 70's it was even lighter but to be honest it was quite windy and it was difficult to see. Basically it looks like the colder it gets the darker my exhaust. I checked oil and it looks ok. Should I worry?
You should absolutely worry, try to loose as much sleep over it as possible. This sounds like the most serious problem I've ever heard of. :laugh: I think it's because your bike was really cold, they run very rich at warm up. Nothing to worry about. :2cents:

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
noinfo said:
while leaving work my friend pointed out that I was...
Since you brought up things to worry about - I guess I would be more concerned about "friends" who seem in a rush to find faults with your beautiful new motorcycle.

Schadenfreude anyone?

·
VROOOOOMMM!!!
763 Posts
I have been an auto technician for over 22 years now and own my own auto shop. I started with points and condensor and have learned through mass air flow sensors and speed density systems, here are some things I have learned in my past. Black smoke is rich fuel mixture. running too rich too often washes the oil off the cylinder walls and eventually makes it past the rings into the crankcase. over a few months time, that will ruin the rings and end up burning as much oil as you do gasoline, not to mention gas doesn't make a very good lubricant to keep the crank and bearings happy. make sure you SMELL the oil. If it smells like fuel, you have a problem. if it just smells like oil, it's probably not too rich. and you're probably ok. I would not be alarmed if it lasted for a only a few seconds (maybe 15) in colder weather or so. computer controlled systems should be calibrated to properly sense the engine temp and the barometric pressure and compensate for a cold or warm start and still keep the air fuel ratio somewhat close. it is possible the engine temp sensor has gotten out of range and thinks it's really 40 BELOW zero outside instead of 40 above.(read that VERY different fuel needs at start up). I recently had a grand am doing that. It also had a pretty noticeable hesitation from a stop. 15 dollar part. 4000 dollar engine. you didn't mention if you start the bike and let it run for a few minutes before you take off on it (which is a REALLY good idea) it lets the internal engine parts come up to operating temperature (that means the metal swells up to the right size when it's warm for proper clearences) and the fuel system can operate more efficiently. kind of like stretching out before jogging or doing a lot of physical activity. My 03 has never smoked black. it is tough to say without actually SEEING what you are seeing, bottom line is: may not be a bad idea to drive by the local dealer and talk to a TECHNICIAN not a service writer or salesperson and ask if it is normal in your area, and if they have ever seen it before. they may know exactly what to do or not to do. it is ridiculous to me that a 2 cylinder motor costs MORE than I can buy a 502 inch v-8 for, but that's how it is. it's your money and your bike, I would be much more comfortable letting someone (technician) SEE what is happening as opposed to taking my text printed words here as to what you should do.

--just my 2 :2cents:

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
vroom said:
I have been an auto technician for over 22 years now and own my own auto shop. I started with points and condensor and have learned through mass air flow sensors and speed density systems, here are some things I have learned in my past. Black smoke is rich fuel mixture. running too rich too often washes the oil off the cylinder walls and eventually makes it past the rings into the crankcase. over a few months time, that will ruin the rings and end up burning as much oil as you do gasoline, not to mention gas doesn't make a very good lubricant to keep the crank and bearings happy. make sure you SMELL the oil. If it smells like fuel, you have a problem. if it just smells like oil, it's probably not too rich. and you're probably ok. I would not be alarmed if it lasted for a only a few seconds (maybe 15) in colder weather or so. computer controlled systems should be calibrated to properly sense the engine temp and the barometric pressure and compensate for a cold or warm start and still keep the air fuel ratio somewhat close. it is possible the engine temp sensor has gotten out of range and thinks it's really 40 BELOW zero outside instead of 40 above.(read that VERY different fuel needs at start up). I recently had a grand am doing that. It also had a pretty noticeable hesitation from a stop. 15 dollar part. 4000 dollar engine. you didn't mention if you start the bike and let it run for a few minutes before you take off on it (which is a REALLY good idea) it lets the internal engine parts come up to operating temperature (that means the metal swells up to the right size when it's warm for proper clearences) and the fuel system can operate more efficiently. kind of like stretching out before jogging or doing a lot of physical activity. My 03 has never smoked black. it is tough to say without actually SEEING what you are seeing, bottom line is: may not be a bad idea to drive by the local dealer and talk to a TECHNICIAN not a service writer or salesperson and ask if it is normal in your area, and if they have ever seen it before. they may know exactly what to do or not to do. it is ridiculous to me that a 2 cylinder motor costs MORE than I can buy a 502 inch v-8 for, but that's how it is. it's your money and your bike, I would be much more comfortable letting someone (technician) SEE what is happening as opposed to taking my text printed words here as to what you should do.

Dude, way to technical for this post. Have you ever smelled your oil? Everyone I've ever talked to smells fuel in there oil on the V-Rods. I don't mean to say that what you've said at all isn't relavent, just keep it more simple. I build 2000hp Twin turbo race engines, I understand exactly what you mean, but most people need it simplified. You and I could talk shop all day and never get bored. I found when I keep it simple on the posts people appreciate it better. Lamens terms is what they want. :kaz:

·
Registered
555 Posts
vroom said:

Vroom,

I liked reading your post, on this issue. While not a race engine builder, some of us, do come to the board for entertainment and to take our knowledge to the next level. Guys like you make that possible. I think the more technical people on the board are trying to distance themselves from the rest of us, rather then everyone learning a thing or two and having some fun. The "listen to me, because I say so, you are incapable of grasping more complicated theory's" mentality is a recipe for a doomed board. I hope you continue to post anyway you see fit to HELP another rider who has a legit question. Thanks

·
Registered
885 Posts
I build 2000hp Twin turbo race engines, I understand exactly what you mean, but most people need it simplified. You and I could talk shop all day and never get bored.
Hey Rick, now you've got me real inerested :hyper:
Please Tell me more, show me pictures, what type of engines etc. :thumb:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
VrodRick74 said:
Dude, way to technical for this post. Have you ever smelled your oil? Everyone I've ever talked to smells fuel in there oil on the V-Rods. I don't mean to say that what you've said at all isn't relavent, just keep it more simple. I build 2000hp Twin turbo race engines, I understand exactly what you mean, but most people need it simplified. You and I could talk shop all day and never get bored. I found when I keep it simple on the posts people appreciate it better. Lamens terms is what they want. :kaz:
I don't think his post was too technical. I think it's great that he gave me some information on what might be going on. I feel, especially on forums like this, that we need both types of responses. A simple layman's answers and the more detailed technical one. It gives the group the ability to talk shop decide what the problem may be and then dummy it down for the rest of us. :thumb:

Thank you everyone!

·
VROOOOOMMM!!!
763 Posts
I thought I wrote that rather "user friendly" and not too awful technical. Thanks for those of you who support my thoughts. I figure that if you are a V-rod owner or at least looking at one, you're somewhat smarter than the average bear in the first place and you have the ability to grasp things if explained well..... I mean we weren't discussing the "area under the curve" of camshaft duration or "volumetric efficiency" or "steering axis inclination" or things like that.
Rick-- you and I need to talk sometime. I have built and worked on 3000 hp injected nitro dragsters and blown alky stuff, it's been a few years, I've been out of the racing scene for a while and am envious of what you do. I ended up fixing daily drivers instead of hot rodding which is what I really want to do.
A wicked ex-wife :barf: :whack: talked me into spending more time away from that stuff :banghead: :surrender: and still left me anyway. :confused: I am getting back into it again, and now am starting on bikes too---
I am re married and this one LOVES cars and bikes and hot rods (yea!), :plause: I am building her a bracket racer monte '84 :driving: , so things are looking up. :cheers:

--to anyone:
If I get too technical, just pm me and I can explain it better, or you can call and we can talk.

Everyone stay safe and keep riding!!!

·
VROOOOOMMM!!!
763 Posts
I am going to smell my oil when I get home tonight, I don't remember smelling gas in it, but then again I haven't checked it that often, I just turned 900 miles this last weekend, so it's almost time for that change to synthetic. .......we shall see.....

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
vroom said:
I thought I wrote that rather "user friendly" and not too awful technical. Thanks for those of you who support my thoughts. I figure that if you are a V-rod owner or at least looking at one, you're somewhat smarter than the average bear in the first place and you have the ability to grasp things if explained well..... I mean we weren't discussing the "area under the curve" of camshaft duration or "volumetric efficiency" or "steering axis inclination" or things like that.
Rick-- you and I need to talk sometime. I have built and worked on 3000 hp injected nitro dragsters and blown alky stuff, it's been a few years, I've been out of the racing scene for a while and am envious of what you do. I ended up fixing daily drivers instead of hot rodding which is what I really want to do.
A wicked ex-wife :barf: :whack: talked me into spending more time away from that stuff :banghead: :surrender: and still left me anyway. :confused: I am getting back into it again, and now am starting on bikes too---
I am re married and this one LOVES cars and bikes and hot rods (yea!), :plause: I am building her a bracket racer monte '84 :driving: , so things are looking up. :cheers:

--to anyone:
If I get too technical, just pm me and I can explain it better, or you can call and we can talk.

Everyone stay safe and keep riding!!!
I'd love to talk shop sometime, in the process of finishing the tubo kit for the V-Rod

·
VROOOOOMMM!!!
763 Posts
VrodRick74 said:
I'd love to talk shop sometime, in the process of finishing the tubo kit for the V-Rod

awesome!!!! send pics and sounds, and timeslips!!! :cheers:

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
as max says.... its the members that make this forum.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts