Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious since I'm reading up how the fuel tank isn't as large as later models. Is there anything else I should be looking out for when it comes to a '03? I was looking at one with 10k miles for $8,000 but I would kick my self in the h00hah to buy something as expensive only to be plagued with problems.

·
(Peter)
488 Posts
I have an 03. Yes the tank is definetly too small, but can be replaced with a larger 5 gal version which makes the bikes range comparable to other bikes. I have almost zero issues with my bike over the years. The only problems have been a dead battery (which is to be expected if Florida), and a bad fuel pump.

·
333/1200 1/2 da evil
28 Posts
people on here seem to love their '03s. Personally, I love my '08, but I think I would love any of the models/years (except for the R) :stilpoke: J/K, I thought that would start some crap on here.

wolf

·
Life is great!
783 Posts
I have an 02 (basically the same as an 03) and love it. Yes I have the small tank but agree with 3 Olive about stopping to stretch out around then anyway.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
if they put a 10gal tank on the 2012 VRSC line up then people would say that the 5 gal tanks on the previous Vs isn't large enough.
I can't speak for anyone else here, but I bought the V because I loved the styling and feel of the bike. Having a 5gal or a 3gal tank never factored into the decision.
Are you purchasing this bike from a dealer or private sale?

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
03 vrod with almost 60.000 miles 20.000 with a turbo and still going strong. I have no problem with the small tank when it get towards E stop and fill it up. :)

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
if they put a 10gal tank on the 2012 VRSC line up then people would say that the 5 gal tanks on the previous Vs isn't large enough.
I can't speak for anyone else here, but I bought the V because I loved the styling and feel of the bike. Having a 5gal or a 3gal tank never factored into the decision.
i bought my V for the same reasons, styling and speed (for a cruiser). The 3 gal tank never bothered me until I started riding some remote country hills in arkansas on a regular basis....found that I really NEEDED that extra range to enjoy the ride and not be paranoid constantly or have to put in 87 octane because that's all billy joes shack has in the sticks. I put in a 5 gallon tank as soon as they came out

·
GIT UR DONE...later
990 Posts
I love my 02 V & it brought me back to streetbikes. I wouldn't have tried a real long trip with the 3 gal tank. For $300 American & some elbow grease I put in the 5 gal. tank. Big difference in comfort level going to 150/160 mile before thinking about a fill up. Three gals or 5 gals, doesn't matter. It's a nice bike.

I just left Big Sky, Montana & am now in Idaho somewhere eating @ a Burger King with wifi.

Attachments

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
regardless of year, make, or model, there will be something that you will want or need to change for the bike to "suit" you. If the tank is the only thing keeping you from pulling the trigger, there are aftermarket options for that.

·
1130cc is enuff 4 me
2,426 Posts

·
aka shudude
3,174 Posts
144,000 miles on my '03. I put the 5 gal Ricks tank on around 90k because I wanted the extra range (I group ride with tour bikes). 3 gal. tank isn't reason enough to stay away from the '03. No matter what year you end up with, if you hang out here long enough, you'll be changing something out and upgrading!

·
Crash Bandacoot
1,431 Posts
My '05 has the small tank..135 miles or so..I have a 5gallon UE tank,brand new in the box I got about 3 yrs ago..don't think I'll ever get around to install it..like others say,by the time you do 120 miles or so,its time to get off and stretch..

BTW..anyone interested in the 5 gallon tank? I might be persuaded to sell it

·
Crash Bandacoot
1,431 Posts
144,000 miles on my '03. I put the 5 gal Ricks tank on around 90k because I wanted the extra range (I group ride with tour bikes). 3 gal. tank isn't reason enough to stay away from the '03. No matter what year you end up with, if you hang out here long enough, you'll be changing something out and upgrading!
144k miles? wow I'm impressed..any major issues?? what was the interval for valve checking?

·
Born to be mild
202 Posts
I have really enjoyed my '03 with very few problems, but there are some items that were generic issues with the '03 that were fixed in later model years.

Coolant bottle
Front Engine mount
Fuel lines

·
Snapper
1,307 Posts
Sounds like you have enough to go on with the 03's. Suweet bikes and i don't think i have really seen a person complain about owning one overall. Go for it if you like the overall style of the bike. The price seems pretty good to me.

By the way... i have an 04 with the small tank and i have some mileage lowering mods. I get 100 miles a tank in town and on the highway i get quite a bit more. I have no issues with it at all. If i planned on taking this bike across the country i would plan my route appropriately or get a larger tank though because you could catch yourself walking if your not careful. But you could do that in your cage if you don't pay attention.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts