Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
speeding safely
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After owning a Sporty for 5 years and 40Kmi, then a '98 Softail custom for another 6 years and 40Kmi, I just bought a VROD. It has 850mi on the bike, and is pretty much all stock. I can't wait to take possession of it in a week and a half. But, here's my dilemma:

I live in Tucson and the bike's in Albuquerque. I could fly there, then drive it home 500 mi, but I'm concerned about a few things:

1. The bike. It hasn't had it's 1,000 mile check-up and it still has it's original oil.
2. The warranty: It's an '03 with 10 months left on the warranty. Will 1400 mi void the warranty?
3. comfort: With a stock seat- I'm not sure how long I can last. I'm guessing I'd need to do the ride home in two 250 mile legs.
4. No windshield. I'm thinking of buying the detachable touring windshield and installing it in the airport parking lot.

Or- I've got a long bed pickup truck, which I could just drive there, load it up, and drive it home. More comfortable, but far less fun.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
I agree with frank, 500 miles is nothing and besides you have to stop every 100 miles and let your a$$ laugh when you get gas anyway.

Welcome to the forum.

·
If You Ain't Cav...
2,069 Posts
morey000 said:

1. The bike. It hasn't had it's 1,000 mile check-up and it still has it's original oil.
Should be no problem, just get it done (service) asap and put in the synthetic!
Originally posted by morey000

2. The warranty: It's an '03 with 10 months left on the warranty. Will 1400 mi void the warranty?
NO!

3. comfort: With a stock seat- I'm not sure how long I can last. I'm guessing I'd need to do the ride home in two 250 mile legs.
Like Max said, got to stop every 100 mi anyway for gas... only a 3.7 fuel capacity....

4. No windshield. I'm thinking of buying the detachable touring windshield and installing it in the airport parking lot.
Just have a full face helmet and let her rip.... sence you have years of riding experience, should be no problem! GOOD LUCK and Welcome aboard!

Mike:biker:

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
I love the windshield, and recommend it for long drives. But, you will need to install lowers to stop the updraft (see other threads on this subject). The dealer probably won't have those in stock, so you should probably go with Scout's recommendation. Full face and let her rip.

PS: You'll love it.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
You didn't say if the bike was at a dealer or a personal sale.

If it's at a dealer just have them do the 1000 mi. 850 is close enough.

If it's a personal sale see if you can get the owner to take it in for the 1000 mile before you arrive.

Worst case, schedule and oil change at a dealer for the morning you pick it up.

Oil's cheap and the first change is the most important. That's when all the crud from assembly get's completely flushed out. Even if you have it changed again when you get home it's $30 worth of insurance.

What oil to use? If they do the 1000 mile then do Syn3. If you're just getting the oil changed and will do the 1000 mile once you get back do regular oil then have your local dealer do syn3 when they do the complete service.

As for the windscreen, do the full face helmet. Nothing short of the touring screen with lowers is going to give you any significant protection.

BTW, if you haven't guessed, I say Ride It Home :)

One caveat: Albuquerque to Tuscon in November can get you caught up in the mountains in some pretty raw weather. That may be what makes your final decision.

I drove the Porsche you see in my avitar Home (Florida) from San Diego when I bought it in March '99 and had to outrun a snow storm in New Mexico. If I'd have left my sister's house in Phoenix 6 hours later I would have run into 2 feet of snow on I-10 :slap2:

·
speeding safely
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's what I like. A bunch of optimists who enjoy riding! Thanks for the encouragement.

My plan right now is to be ready for either option, and let the weather decide. I'm hoping for a nice high pressure system to move into the southwest next weekend.

And having a quick oil change at the dealer or bike shop in town will make me feel better. Otherwise, I'll be worried about little metal bits floating around in my oil the whole way home. I guess I'm a bit anal about those things.

(oh, yes. I've read the posts about the touring windshield and the Memphis lowers)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Well, when I picked mine up, I used a truck. That bike in the back of that truck sure made the truck look fast. Anyway, it was about a 2 hour drive. Got home and put 800 miles on it. Believe me, you'll want to change out that stock seat soon. I have the touring seat and the sport windshield. The seat is great. The windshield looks very good and does an ok job of knocking down some of the wind. You will love this bike. I have had Hondas, Yamahas, and Harleys. This is by far the best riding bike I have ever had.

BTW,,,,got with my other buds last night and planned out the Stugis trip fro next August. Can't wait to take teh Harley rocket up there.

·
speeding safely
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Terrific ride

Rode her those 500 miles home this weekend. First stop was Clyde's HD in Albuquerque for her 1,000 mile maintenance ($225 ouch). Then I threw the touring windshield on in the parking lot.

It was mostly sunny ('cept at night) and between 45 and 60F. With full leathers and a couple layers, I was toasty warm the whole trip. What a wonderfully scenic and enjoyable ride across the Chihuahuan and Sonaran deserts. The VROD purred like a kitten the whole way and the stock seat didn't bother me at all- I coulda' rode another 500. :D

As soon as I got home, what did I do? Went for a ride, of course. Had to show off the machine to a few friends- who were kind and drooled appropriately. And then let my wife try out the poor excuse for a back seat.

The VROD is certainly a beautifully designed machine- er, with the exception of the gas tank (perhaps it should be called a gas 'cup'.) 3.7 gallons my a$$! Seems a lot more like less than 3.0. I think I could actually see the fuel guage sinking, as I cruised at 85-90mph getting less than 35mpg.:rolleyes:

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Hey Morey000 - glad you waited until THIS weekend to pick her up!! We were in Phoenix last week and over the last weekend for the rain and cold and I was wondering if you had gone to ABQ to get your bike or not in all of that! Of course, we had to fly home on Friday, just as the sun came out. GREAT to hear you've got her now!

Val

1 - 11 of 11 Posts