Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
obsessive
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to the gurus for some advice. Locally a guy has a PC3 for sale and hes asking a buck fity. I dont have any experience with tuners and am very computer illiterate (I can barely do this):lamer: Mine is a 05 B with a k&n, top still on and Jug Huggers. Seems to run pretty strong with a slight decel pop. any input, how to knowledge, would be greatly appreciated. Oh, the previous owner said the bike had an updated "tune" for the pipes by Harley. New to me, have had the bike for about 1 month. Thanks

·
obsessive
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I was looking at the EFI posts and different tunes. Im not into big HP numbers so I wouldnt do a dyno session. Im good at hustling off people who know what they are doing.

·
Wasted $40.00!
232 Posts
Tuner!

Might want to check with previous owner, or look on bike for a tuner, if you don't find one it might be a HD SERT done it and you won't see a tuner, if you're not doing any other mods to bike, I wouldn't waste that 150 on another tuner, if its a HD SERT the other should have the pisce you need to tune it at the dealer or a member here might have software and be able to twink it a bit and get rid of pop!

·
Banned
3,309 Posts
The bike could very well have a dealer download. If so, the problem with using a PC-III is your starting point is already richer than stock. Pretty much any map you download for a bike with the same mods will be too rich.

·
obsessive
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So any PC tune will be atop of the dealer tune.. is a dealer tune able to be overridden, or uninstalled to take advantage of another tune?

·
Wasted $40.00!
232 Posts
SERT or Download

I'm no Guru, but read alot on here. If your bike has either one of these two things. I think you have to have those cleared out and then you can use the PC. Sounds like it just needs twinked a little and the the previous owner should be able or the Dealer he had it done with should be able to help you!

·
Banned
3,309 Posts
So any PC tune will be atop of the dealer tune.. is a dealer tune able to be overridden, or uninstalled to take advantage of another tune?
I'm not sure how that works. I think the dealer can return it to stock. Shoot a PM to Ibrown, he's a Harley tech, a dyno guy, and all around ECM know it all.

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
The PC3 Powercommander is a piggy back system... What it does is "fools" the factory settings in the Delphi ECU... It does not overwrite the stock factory settings in the ECU... Once you unplugg the PC3, the motor reverts back to the stock factory settings in the Delphi ECU...

Whatever settings are on the stock Delphi ECU will remain... The only way you can change the settings is to have one of the HD tuners or a scanalyzer... With a scanalyser, the tech can do a "flash" to the ECU, stage I, stage II ect... Basically, what this does is changes the AFR settings in the ECU, rev limit changes etc...

If your bike is running good and you add in the PC3 piggy back tuner, you will have to find a map that closely resembles your motor and what mods were done, exhaust, airfilter, etc... Then you load the map into the PC3, from there you can make adjustments to the AFR with three external buttons that control how much fuel is getting to the injectors... The buttons regulate low, mid, high meaning, the low button adjust fuel from idle to 25% TPS, mid controls from 25% to 75% TPS and high controls fuel from 75% to 100% TPS... You can add more fuel or remove more fuel by pushing the buttons on the PC3...

Hope this helps...

·
Registered Idiot
5,461 Posts
Make sure you do not already have some thing already in place before you buy anything.
If you have a HD flash or SERT make your adjustments via that or remove the flash.If you do not have anything already in place then look for a tuner. PC3 is one of many options. It is what I use, so far so good. It all depends on how much money you want to spend and how handy you are. No matter what you use if you are not to handy then get some one to tune it for you. Not for the HP numbers but for the drivability. (Decel popping, surging, idle, hesitating) If you find a good shop to tune it then you will not regret it. And like some one said before there are some good maps on this site that others will share with you.
Something else to consider, is the PC3 seller trust worthy, I personally don't like used electronics unless I absolutely know the person I am buying from. New PC3 from Fuelmoto.com is like 220 to 250 I think and will come with a good starter map. JMO

·
obsessive
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to both powrman and tbones, very good info. Id love to have someone close to do some tuning, guess over time Ill find someone. havent heard alot of great things about the local HD The history of the PC is unknown, so Ill do more research, probably here, from you gurus:notworth:

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
Thanks to both powrman and tbones, very good info. Id love to have someone close to do some tuning, guess over time Ill find someone. havent heard alot of great things about the local HD The history of the PC is unknown, so Ill do more research, probably here, from you gurus:notworth:
The PC3 is a pretty simple and basic tuner to work with... It's limited in what you can do compared to the ECU full systems out there that are a bit more complex to master the programs and make the adjustments... With this tuner, it's pretty much a plug and play type of deal...

You download a map to it, then you'll have to fine tune the three circuits with the buttons based on how your bike runs... It's a pain in the butt to pull the plugs to look at them but, you can look at your exhaust pipes and if they get real black then you know your running rich, too white and you know your running lean... Your fans will come on sooner then normal if your running too lean so that's another indication to look for, abnormal heat coming off the motor (more heat they you normally felt) would also be a sign the motor is running too lean...

It's been my experience with this piggy back tuner that the maps are all on the rich side which is good. Goodluck with your journey :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts