2013 Vrod Muscle or 2015 Vrod night rod special

• 2013 Vrod Muscle

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recognize how unique these bikes are in HD's lineup and were sad that they got rid of them. I am looking to purchase one and have two bikes currently lined up. Details below:

2013 Harley Davidson V-Rod Muscle
3000+ Miles $7000

2015 Harley Davidson V-Rod Night Rod Special
1200 Miles $9500

Both bikes are really clean upon visual inspection but the 2015 just completed 1k maintenance with service record proof. I think I know where I am leaning but look to this valuable community for help and opinions

·
VRSC est -03
3,095 Posts
Saddlebags?!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just bought my 2013 DX recently. Had 1000 miles and gave 10k for it. Consider the looks obviously but in addition, keeping it clean. The muscle has a lot of aluminum that will tarnish as you may have seen on others. The black IMO is the way to go. Then get yourself a can of "Pig Spit" for the engine. Works great.

·
"Vrod King"
923 Posts
The black one. Get the black one.

Reactions: CJS

·
Premium Member
2,520 Posts
Muscle has a little bit more Torque, NRS has a little more Hp due to exhaust systems. NRS looks much better stock IMHO but the Muscle would be cool to ditch the OEM turn out mufflers and install two Carbon Fiber ones and make the airbox cover air inlets functional but Get the NRS. Does either have anti skid brakes ?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Muscle has a little bit more Torque, NRS has a little more Hp due to exhaust systems. NRS looks much better stock IMHO but the Muscle would be cool to ditch the OEM turn out mufflers and install two Carbon Fiber ones and make the airbox cover air inlets functional but Get the NRS. Does either have anti skid brakes ?
Both have the option of ABS if not come standard. I know my 14 has ABS. But does not have the factory security system which is interesting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Both have the option of ABS if not come standard. I know my 14 has ABS. But does not have the factory security system which is interesting.
So both have ABS to my knowledge but neither have the factory security system. Well on the muscle the guy didnt know

·
Registered
357 Posts
So both have ABS to my knowledge but neither have the factory security system. Well on the muscle the guy didnt know
I am honestly not a fan of the ABS systems on these bikes. They're a PITA to maintain and need a fancy tool to actuate the ABS in order to fully flush the brake fluid. Otherwise you get old fluid trapped inside and brake fluid breaks down quickly. I also think the ABS system performs like trash. I've had mine activate at times where it's actually hurt my braking performance.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
I am honestly not a fan of the ABS systems on these bikes. They're a PITA to maintain and need a fancy tool to actuate the ABS in order to fully flush the brake fluid. Otherwise you get old fluid trapped inside and brake fluid breaks down quickly. I also think the ABS system performs like trash. I've had mine activate at times where it's actually hurt my braking performance.
I bought Twinscan2 ABS just for that task. Member Jason here also sells an Android version at a better price for the job. The only time I've heard of unwanted activation is on washboard road surfaces. Otherwise, it has kept me upright in one nasty braking event so while not a perfect system, it does on the most part add some safety. Not a system for those that can't be bothered to maintain it correctly. This is best done from a new state, so any used bikes that have it, it's a gamble for HCU health. Mechanically, the only real design fault is using that small encoding disc in the bearing itself , rather then a larger disc for finer coding .
Ron

·
Premium Member
2,520 Posts
Yea I think the ABS is probably best for helping riders in a panic situation, and yes a PITA to maintain - also I don't think it's a lean sensitive ABS on V Rod so not ideal. I've got a neighbor that's an accident reconstruction / investigation engineer who did extensive testing on a couple newer M/C's with lean sensitive ABS for riders that said it actually caused their accident because of the algorithms in the ABS computer could not keep up with what the bike was actually doing while leaned over. And then you got the problem my buddy just discovered - he had a Triumph Speed Triple with ABS and got used to just jamming the back brake and letting ABS handle it then he bought a Star SCL and on his first ride totally locked up the rear wheel coming up to a stop light right next to me - I was like WTF ? He said I gotta re-learn proper brake application, no ABS. But the Triumph ABS saved him from hitting the side of a car I was barely able to swerve and steer around the front of so it can save your A$$ in a panic. (y):oops:

·
EJ
27 Posts
So, it looks like it's coming down to visuals. Mechanically and feature wise, it's probably a tie. Sit on them both - see which one seems to "fit" better. My first V-rod was an '06 Night Rod (before they came out with the NRS). I miss that bike (was rear ended in 2018 and bike was totaled). I ended up with a '14 Muscle. I personally liked the fit and the chrome on the '06 Night Rod. I'm adjusting to the '14 Muscle. I recognize the love for "blacked out bikes", but I'm old school. I think black & chrome is the best combo out there.

If the Muscle was well maintained and the aluminum is not corroded or pitted, that's good. If it's in rough shape, stay away from it - unless you like consuming adult beverages in the garage with music while polishing...

My advice would be to get the one that comes closest to "fitting like a glove"...

Just my $.02

·
EJ
27 Posts
I should add that my '14 Muscle has the saddlebags. For me, that would easily break the tie. I'd go for the bags if that's a need, but I realize neither of your choices have bags.

So, it looks like it's coming down to visuals. Mechanically and feature wise, it's probably a tie. Sit on them both - see which one seems to "fit" better. My first V-rod was an '06 Night Rod (before they came out with the NRS). I miss that bike (was rear ended in 2018 and bike was totaled). I ended up with a '14 Muscle. I personally liked the fit and the chrome on the '06 Night Rod. I'm adjusting to the '14 Muscle. I recognize the love for "blacked out bikes", but I'm old school. I think black & chrome is the best combo out there.

If the Muscle was well maintained and the aluminum is not corroded or pitted, that's good. If it's in rough shape, stay away from it - unless you like consuming adult beverages in the garage with music while polishing...

My advice would be to get the one that comes closest to "fitting like a glove"...

Just my $.02

·
EJ
27 Posts
JFisher - love that stand in your pic. How do you like it? Can you share the details (manufacturer, rough cost?)

I just think it's really tough to beat the looks of the NRS. Just personal preference
I just think it's really tough to beat the looks of the NRS. Just personal preference

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have the Muscle and prefer the look of the Muscle over the NRS, but I believe the 2012+ NRS is more comfortable (seat and bars) to ride as setup from HDMC.

·
Premium Member
2,520 Posts
Muscle riding position is too stretched out for anyone that's a bit shorter or shorter arms, a bit strange as long as the wheelbase is to have your Torso that far forward - don't know what H-D was thinking it needs a Budman riser or NRS riser & bars to be more comfortable and less of the famous "clamshell" riding position - I like the sound of the dual Muscle exhaust but with Bassani or TAB, V&Hines mufflers. Those H-D OEM side exit looking pipes belong on a '57 Chevy IMHO :LOL:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts