Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A LEO associate suggested that it is not too smart for a woman riding her motorcycle alone to stop for another motorcylist on the side of the road. The same sort of advice cagers tend to get about stopping for anyone on the road. Off duty, he rides, waves to anyone else on a motorcycle regardless of type and stops for everyone who may need help.

Your thoughts?

·
Ms. Subtle
12,179 Posts
i just use my judgement.. if the situation looks ok enough for me i will stop.. in my car .. on my bike whatever.. i just fgure they need help and if i needed help i would want some one to stop for me..

·
Premium Member
2,900 Posts
My mother-in-law lived in the Detroit suburbs and used to tell all kinds of tails about the crime in the area. Certainly you would NEVER stop to help someone with a flat or car trouble on the freeway because this is what all the drug dealers used as a ploy to set up exchange areas... etc.

Then she got a flat on I-75 going over the Rouge River bridge while driving her Z28. She could NOT BELIEVE that NOBODY stopped to help this poor little old lady change a flat!

My guess is that nobody could believe that a "little old lady" drove a Z28 to work... SHE must have been up to something!
----
Just trust your instincts.
In broad daylight where there is other traffic, why not?
At 2:00 a.m. in a back alley in a bad neighborhood... are you nuts?

·
Don't think, ride.
752 Posts
Tough one, I got ripped on another forum for saying I would not stop for another biker if I was alone. For me, if I notice another biker is stopped I am way passed them before I can even react so I would have to double back on the interstate anyway. It would totally depend on when and where if I would consider stopping. With cell phones now, hardly anyone is going to get stranded.

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
It's sad to say, but in todays world the fact remains that there are many people out there looking to prey on the kindness of unsuspecting people. I think if you're alone and especially if you're a women you shouldn't stop. That's not to say that you can't pull over down the road and call help for him though.

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
deja-vu

I'll stick with my answer from harley-davidsonforums.com :D

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
FireBum
485 Posts
If you do stop, take Vrodder's advise and do it safely. In my town a new lady biker decided to stop and help one of her new "Brothers" sitting on the shoulder of I-70 in evening rush hour traffic. In all the excitement she braked so hard that it caused everyone behind her to panic and an 18 wheeler that couldn't stop took the shoulder and ran over the bike and the rider and rolled both up under the truck so bad we couldn't get him out until the tow truck came. All while she watched.

The shoulder of the road is a very dangerous place. Stay off of it whenever possible

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
I believe that there is good in everyone. I also believe there is evil in everyone. With that said, I'll stop for anyone. The caveat is that I carry a gun. :2cents:

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Yea I wouldnt have a problem stopping for someone, but I like confrontation so worst case scenario I get to have some fun! The other 1/2 I tell not to stop for anyone except me!

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Vrodriding said:
Yea I wouldnt have a problem stopping for someone, but I like confrontation so worst case scenario I get to have some fun! The other 1/2 I tell not to stop for anyone except me!
I would have expected a different response considering this episode.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
rjrivero said:
I would have expected a different response considering this episode.
Its a lil differant now if the guy was stopped selling lemonade I wouldnt stop lol and when I am not drugged I can handle my own I did wreslte for 8 years and box for 1 and kickbox for 2 in the police athletic league out in Cali. However when I am drugged that stuff doesnt matter. I still trust people when I am in the right state of mind and able to defend myself if needed, make sense?

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Lil, Peter and I stop, but can't say as I ever have when riding alone, and I have felt guilty about it a time or two when I could see it was a younger person one of my son's ages.

If I saw another woman broken down when I was riding alone, I'd probably turn around and go back, if I hadn't been able to stop in time. I couldn't DO anything (which is another reason for not stopping), except keep her company until real help arrived. But I'd be unlikely to do that with a male - some fear about it, and also not being as worried about a male being as vulnerable as a female. OK, yes it's all sexist... But it would also depend on where I was. More likely to stop here in Central PA for anyone than in a city.

I haven't gotten stuck myself yet when riding alone, but there have been a few times I pulled over for one reason or another and another biker (male)stopped to check on me. It's a very nice thing, but I have to admit I had a moment of concern, even though I think male bikers are generally much more gallant and protective than average.

I did get stuck in my car one time driving home from DC and freaked out a little bit when a rattletrap ol pickup pulled off in front of me while I was waiting for AAA. It turned out it was a lovely couple, and the woman said she'd made a point of getting out of the truck with him to not scare me when they came over to check on me. But at least you can keep your doors locked and windows rolled up in a car.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Val said:
OK, yes it's all sexist....
At least you can admit that ;)

Seriously, I don't think it's sexist, as much as it is SAFETY. This world is much different than it was 15 years ago. I cant blame you one bit.

·
On Good Ol' Nbr7
7,267 Posts
rjrivero said:
At least you can admit that ;)

Seriously, I don't think it's sexist, as much as it is SAFETY. This world is much different than it was 15 years ago. I cant blame you one bit.
:them: .... and I live in Detroit.....

Well, a few miles north.....

HH

·
GA. BOY
2,462 Posts
rjrivero said:
I believe that there is good in everyone. I also believe there is evil in everyone. With that said, I'll stop for anyone. The caveat is that I carry a gun. :2cents:
:them: i follow rj's rules

·
Not 1 Serious Thread
12,942 Posts
I'd pull to the side, not too closely and NOT getting off my bike and just ask if they need me to call for help. Thing is these days, everyone has a cell, so unless one is in the canyons and has no signal, they can probably do this themselves. If they ARE in the canyons though, they will be very happy that I'm heading to a phone for them. If I do not get too close and they do not have a gun, the risk factor is not SO bad. Now were it a bike that has just gone down, I'd jump off and do all I could. (I do have training in emergency life saving techniques) I can not just ride on by though...

·
Registered
322 Posts
Diamond Lil said:
A LEO associate suggested that it is not too smart for a woman riding her motorcycle alone to stop for another motorcylist on the side of the road.

Your thoughts?
Consider this a second, similar opinion. I don't stop for anyone unless I have a trump card.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts