Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Team:

I will like to shorten the shifter rod for my 2013 V-ROD muscle. The shifter pedal is too vertical and I am having trouble upshifting. Are there any shorter shifter rods available from third parties? If not, will be OK to cut like 1 inch from my stock shifter rod?

Thank you very much.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Have you noticed that you can also adjust shift position from the shaft which comes out from the tranny? There is small splines or grooves in the shaft and lever too. Just open and remove hexagon head bolt and reposition lever and put bolt back and tighten it.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you noticed that you can also adjust shift position from the shaft which comes out from the tranny? There is small splines or grooves in the shaft and lever too. Just open and remove hexagon head bolt and reposition lever and put bolt back and tighten it.
Was not aware of this but sounds more complicated. The thread on the rod seems to be too long and does not goes all the way in. I think is not the original length rod.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Ok. Then I would check that ball link threads are ok and rod goes all the way in and take few rounds out and then cut it to proper length if necessary. Maybe I would not thread it more or at least die should be sharp. I've already made mistake with my R where is mids by re-threading rod one step smaller to accept quick shifter ring sensor and it broke there. It was annoying to fetch bike with the trailer.

But suggested tranny lever reposition is very eezy breezy as well. Whole bolt must be taken away since lever won't come out before. There is groove for security. It is good to make markers with pen before adjustment.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
Was not aware of this but sounds more complicated. The thread on the rod seems to be too long and does not goes all the way in. I think is not the original length rod.
If it's a 2012 and up, the adjustment isn't there. They moved the foot peg back but failed to make the adjustment length of the rod to give you the thread needed to move the peg up higher. Custom made to length rod is best option. Roughly 1" longer.
Ron

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
If it's a 2012 and up, the adjustment isn't there. They moved the foot peg back but failed to make the adjustment length of the rod to give you the thread needed to move the peg up higher. Custom made to length rod is best option. Roughly 1" longer.
Ron
Ok sorry I really did not know this. Mine bikes are all more than decade old.

Could you Ron be more specific how the linkage is attached to transmission shaft? I do not see that the tranny shaft lever fixing splined shaft method is changed.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
This part list is from 2013 Muscle and to me it looks like lever part 8 can be still attached to splined shift shaft 17 in different positions. Screw part 1 must be completely removed before lever can be taken out and re-positioned. Of course there is steps and limits where it can be set. I have used this many times to get shift lever nicely under my very stiff leather boots.

Font Auto part Engineering Automotive super charger part Cylinder

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is fixed! Thank you very much! I remove screw #1 in above picture and adjust shaft (#8) to vertical position. Now shifter pedal is in the perfect position. Once I was finished with this task I start checking why the throttle grip was so tight and when I move it to the top the throttle broke! I notice that the cable was rusted and totally dry, I guess previous(s) owner never lube the cables but that project will be in another thread if I have trouble fixing it. I have the VRSCR 2006 Service manual so hope is not too much difference.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
Is fixed! Thank you very much! I remove screw #1 in above picture and adjust shaft (#8) to vertical position. Now shifter pedal is in the perfect position. Once I was finished with this task I start checking why the throttle grip was so tight and when I move it to the top the throttle broke! I notice that the cable was rusted and totally dry, I guess previous(s) owner never lube the cables but that project will be in another thread if I have trouble fixing it. I have the VRSCR 2006 Service manual so hope is not too much difference.
All the cables and procedures are the same for these bikes. Should be no problem.
Ron

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Team:

I will like to shorten the shifter rod for my 2013 V-ROD muscle. The shifter pedal is too vertical and I am having trouble upshifting. Are there any shorter shifter rods available from third parties? If not, will be OK to cut like 1 inch from my stock shifter rod?

Thank you very much.
Pull the retaining bolt that holds the shifter lever on the shaft that comes out the cover. The splines allow you to rotate the lever forward or back depending on where you like it. Put retaining bolt back in when your done adjusting it. EASY AS PIE.

·
Registered Insane
2003 VRSCA
330 Posts
Since we are on the subject, if anyone is interested I make these shifter rods using real drill bits. Can be made in any eye-to-eye length of up to 13" with what I have in stock. Just $65 shipped to any member in the continental U.S. Shipping might be more to other areas of the world but I would only charge the difference.

-Sean

Automotive parking light Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood

1 - 13 of 13 Posts