Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all. My dealer said 2.5-3 hrs labour because they have not installed one in a V-Rod. Any experience on this one?
Thanx,

Pete

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
Tell the dealer that he should give you a deal.... seeing you are letting him learn on your baby!!!!! :sinister:

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
vrodracer said:
Title says it all. My dealer said 2.5-3 hrs labour because they have not installed one in a V-Rod. Any experience on this one?
Thanx,

Pete
Come on, it's a MOTORCYCLE not a rocket ship!!!!! It uses standard design HD struts, something they work on every day. There's nothing special about the V-Rod front forks.

If they have the manual they can read all about it and see that it's a 1 - 1.5 hour job MAX. In fact, they should have a shop guide that specifies the hours needed for a front spring R&R. Sounds like your "dealer" needs to go to school on basic shop management. :2cents:

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Thanks Rick. Do you use a standard HD labor guide or does Chilton or Mitchels make them for bikes as well?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just do it yourself. I did some motocross springs in about 1/2 hr. total time, maybe less. It always takes me 2X whatever anybody says (I'm picky).

·
VRRRRRROD!
3,173 Posts
vrodracer said:
Shop says I won't be able to do it myself. "Special tools" are needed! (A spring compressor?)

They almost always tell you that! Alot of shops think an Allen wrench is a 'special tool' :bash:

·
Registered
503 Posts
they'd like you to believe a 28th sprocket is a big deal to install also.... just install em youself... MJW930 is right.. these are not rocket ships... heck... they aren't even sophisticated motorcycles!!!! For heaven sake... they're put together with bolts from a surplus hardware store..

When I hear guys say the just picked up their bike at the dealer after letting them screw the heck out of them to install some chrome/other parts... I could scream!!!!! No wonder people get so "upside down " on these bikes it costs them $1.50+ /mile to own when all is said and done. It cost the guy I bought my v rod from $4.16 per mile to own his bike because he paid the dealer top buck for the parts and installation.... (and I gave him top buck for it...)
Excuse me a second while I put my soap box away..
greg

·
Registered
598 Posts
Rick Nielson said:
Flat Rate Time Is 1.1 Hrs For Both . Labor Code Is 2361
That Will Piss Them Off.

If it wasn’t for this place I would be clueless :hmm: Its info like this that your dealer does not want you to know. I hope you don’t get in any trouble for sharing. I don’t suppose that HD publishes a labor code book?????

·
O-FNG
321 Posts
Just got my quote from HD Pompano Florida, where the service manager is a pretty good guy. He quoted me to just change out the springs to the new kit would be $100 labor with putting SE racing fork oil back in (I am suppling the spring kit). He said that the sliders do not have to come out to put in the new springs. I am having them also take off the sliders for me to have chromed, and then re-install them, for another $100 labor. At their shop rate, it works to about 2.6 hours for both springs and sliders (which is about 1.6 hours longer than it will really take!!).

·
Registered
10,065 Posts
Okay, I think the best and least expensive way is to remove the forks yourself and take them to the dealership. I did this, and supplied the chrome sliders, progressive springs, and oil. They supplied the seals and labor. It cost me $120.

·
FASTESTSTKBLTDRV
1,267 Posts
Max said:
Thanks Rick. Do you use a standard HD labor guide or does Chilton or Mitchels make them for bikes as well?
STANDARD HD TIME. THE TIME THEY LIST IS
FOR WARRANTY TIMES. WE USALLY TIMES
BY 1.25 FOR CUST. PAY AS THE FLAT RATE
FOR THE MOST PART CANT BE MET.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts