Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know this is an old topic but what are the best options for rear shocks? Also are there any other models that are compatible? Would
Like to get legend but they do not list any for a v rod. I’m riding a vrsca as well.

· Registered
2006 Night Rod
56 Posts
I just swapped my rears to Progressive shocks and they are an immediate improvement over stock. Will they match Ohlins? Nope, not even in the same zip code but they look good, install without issue and improved my ride quality.

Progressive Suspension 412-4053B Black 13" Standard Replacement Rear Suspension Shock

Tire Wheel Motorcycle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

They are priced between $300 (Amazon) to $400 depending on where you buy them.

I will not be winning any style points and yes there will be times I wished I had the Ohlin's but at this moment in my life they fit the budget and build.

Good luck on your search.

Frank

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just swapped my rears to Progressive shocks and they are an immediate improvement over stock. Will they match Ohlins? Nope, not even in the same zip code but they look good, install without issue and improved my ride quality.

Progressive Suspension 412-4053B Black 13" Standard Replacement Rear Suspension Shock

View attachment 613246

They are priced between $300 (Amazon) to $400 depending on where you buy them.

I will not be winning any style points and yes there will be times I wished I had the Ohlin's but at this moment in my life they fit the budget and build.

Good luck on your search.

Frank
I’m sure that will be the route I head. I definitely cannot throw a grand at two shocks for all the more riding I’m able to do. (Live in Ohio). I appreciate the info

· Registered
7 Posts
ive had the 440 progressives, the fornales,the ohlins ,but am now back to the stock aw shocks,they may not be as good as some say but are certainly reliable. The progerssives sprung leaks, the fornales involved constant air adjustments depending on the weight and terain,the ohlins rusted but were also ugly and expensive.im happy with my stock rears, more constant, easy to adjust.andimho,the best looking. There you go, my two cents worth.save your money.

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ive had the 440 progressives, the fornales,the ohlins ,but am now back to the stock aw shocks,they may not be as good as some say but are certainly reliable. The progerssives sprung leaks, the fornales involved constant air adjustments depending on the weight and terain,the ohlins rusted but were also ugly and expensive.im happy with my stock rears, more constant, easy to adjust.andimho,the best looking. There you go, my two cents worth.save your money.
Thank you. Only reason I’m considering anything is for when my wife and I ride together. She gets jarred quit a bit so I was looking to get something with a little more control on the rebound

· Registered
879 Posts
My girlfriend had a 2006 sportster 1200C and switched over to a 2018 freewheeler, best move ever. I got my freedom to ride again. Can't ride the way I like to with her on the back. She was a little miffed when I removed the passenger pegs off my R, but still have them on the breakout.

· Registered
6,471 Posts
My girlfriend had a 2006 sportster 1200C and switched over to a 2018 freewheeler, best move ever. I got my freedom to ride again. Can't ride the way I like to with her on the back. She was a little miffed when I removed the passenger pegs off my R, but still have them on the breakout.
That's fine but never come home with those pegs down. 🤣
Ron

· VRSC est -03
3,668 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: Jeffc12566
1 - 20 of 24 Posts