Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WHen I talked to my dealer yesterday about shortening the reaer shocks as per "SKullman " they said that they would not do it as because of the liability of it. They said cutting the strut sacrifices the integrity of the shock and would not take responsibility if something happened. This seems reasonable as the shock does take alot of stress. Also they said once you cut the actual sp[ring it screws up the action of the spring making the suspension basically suck. IS this true? Can anyone out there who has had their shocks shortened say this is crap? Have you noticed a degrade in spring action since lowering your rear shocks by cutting them? I was looking at doing this but now want to know if it is really so risky to cut the stock shocks an inch as so many guys on this board have done.
THanks
James

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
The stock springs are pretty Bad to begin with! ;)

·
O-FNG
321 Posts
James...you have to evaluate the risk vs. reward ratio. For argument sake, let's say cutting the down the shocks ruined them. You're out $69 bucks and you off spending $500 or so on aftermarket ones. If you like the cut down ones, you saved over $400. Also, factor in you can pick up a cheap pair of stock shocks from the forum or eBay to replace yours if you feel you made a mistake. Bottom line, if you want to change the look of the shocks, spend the money on aftermarkets or buy a cover - if you like the looks of the stock shocks, send them to Skullman. I ride 2UP, with a 200 Metz, no problem with the suspension of the cut shocks. For $69 it's not worth getting into a discussion about materials engineering and physics....John

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I have the skullman shocks,
I bought the 1 5/8" Shortened ones, the look is awesome and the ride is the same at stock, (A little Stiff)
If you going on long rides 2-up, I would look into a progressive shock or something for comfort. But the work skullman does is Great.

Dont worry about any shock strength, they are fine.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jeff Hoover said:
Put mine on yesturday (11.75") and put 100 miles on since. The look is 100% better the ride is 10% worse. I think they're great. Jeff
Thanks that s honest feedback I think I am going to give it a shot!
James

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
I HAVE 2 SET OF STOCKERS AND A CUSTOM SET OF SHORTER FOX SHOCKS IF anyone is interested PM Me! :kaz:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts