Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help! What tools will I need and how do I unbolt my shocks so that I can mount the Rizoma turn signal relocators. I found another post but it didn't tell me how to unbolt the shocks and put them back together.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
8mm allen wrench for shock bolts. The uppers have an integrated nut under the fender that I did not have to put a wrench on.

You only have to remove the upper bolts to install the Rizoma TS relocators.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
wfbont007, while it is possible to remove a single shock on the ground it is not advisable to do it this way. A lift would be the safer route to take.

Max

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You guys are a welath of information! I am told I need a lift, but why? If I remove the top bolt, will there be too much tension from the shock to re-install? Please, a little more detail.

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
wfbont007, The back end of the bike will sag with just one shock. That means that when you try to remount the shock, you will have to lift the back of the bike. Not easy by yourself, and never a stable thing to do ;)
Lift is the best way.
Greg

·
Registered
62 Posts
When I did mine I was able to get the bolt through the shock and the frame w/o a lift. What I could not do was get the nut started. The pressure on the bolt caused it to angle down. Since the nut is also a spacer, I could not get it treaded. I got a lift, and it was a piece of cake.

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
Good idea John. I will keep that in mind. I want to replace these stockers with something nice.
Greg

·
Old Guys Rule
1,279 Posts
I have tried the no lift method removing only one side. Its a real pain in the butt. A lift is the only way to go and lots safer. You will need a lift later on anyway for upgrading all your parts!!!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts