Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any pics of dx's before and after w/ these shock bracket that lowers the rear or the bike? I thought of going on the cheap and getting 11" shocks and these 1" bracket. advise would be great

·
Registered
56 Posts
11" and lowering bracket?. That thing gonna demand shocks that are harder than a crowbar to not bottom out which can be pretty dangerus. Going cheap can be expensive in the end. Sure if you just going after the look and not wanna drive with heavyer loads than a keyring. I think the recomendation just for an 1" loweringbracket is a load about 200 pounds. Thats including your own weight. There are several threads about which shocks that functions in real life and what keeps the driveability of the bike here in this forum.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Btw it not just the freeplay between the tire and the fender that you have to watch out for. You also have the frame vs the belt that stops any wilder ideas.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lowering

Ok you convinced me. what will just the brackets do? will the ride stay the same and what kind of look will it produce?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Have you looked into replacing the shocks with a real suspension, like arnotts? There could still be a group buy on here so you can get them cheaper.

You dont want your ride to bottom out and wreck shit.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ok you convinced me. what will just the brackets do? will the ride stay the same and what kind of look will it produce?
What the brackets do is to move the bottom of the shook backwards and make the swingarm move up. The bigger angle of the shooks makes them work worse. I think the lowering look cool but when you look at the shooks it looks strange. And due to the fact that you make your bike handle worse i think you should spend a couple of extra bucks on better shooks, cause the better handling can save you from sitting in a wheelchair for the rest of your life. Okey you think i pushing it to far, but in every bikers life there is a point in time that you will need every bit of handling you have. And 100-150 extra can be the best saving you and your family have ever done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:notworth: I have decided to open the wallet and go with an air ride after the advise. Now i need to decide between arnots and legend. arnots seems to be a little less expense but the legend seems like you get a little more for your money. THOUGHTS?

·
Wick
546 Posts
:notworth: I have decided to open the wallet and go with an air ride after the advise. Now i need to decide between arnots and legend. arnots seems to be a little less expense but the legend seems like you get a little more for your money. THOUGHTS?
I have the Arnotts cant fault them dont know what extra you get with the Legend it would want to be a fair bit, when I bought my Arnotts on a group buy on here the Legends were on Ebay for about $1000 more.

·
Snapper
1,307 Posts
I have the Arnotts... They work great and look great. Not sure what extra you get with the Legends. One of the big differences is the look. With the legends, unless changed, the bags were exposed as where they aren't with the Arnotts. I thin kboth companies are great to work with. A friend of mine has the legends (venomousSVT) and he had to get some work done on his shocks and they were great to him. I had to have a chrome issue taken care of with mine. Seems a chromer they used to use had pitting problems. The guys at Arnott were awesome. Never worked with a better group of people on an issue. So either way your good but i would say Arnott is the way to go if it's cheaper, and as was said before they use to be a good bit cheaper.

By the way... good choice on not going with the slam kit. changing the angle of a shock is not a good way to lower the bike. I don't know anyone that actually rides their bike that kept those. In the least 12" Progressives are the way to go. But the Airs are definitely the best!

Oh yea... if you are looking at lowering it you better start thinking of front fork options. I suggestion the progressive lowering springs with Heavy Duty fork oil. Otherwise the front end is going to be all jacked up! Not only did i do that but i also dropped myine through the trees a little bit.

·
Wick
546 Posts
There appears to be a group buy happening at the moment go to that section and try your luck.:moped:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts