Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Full Speed Realtor
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had trouble backing out their shock bolts for the 1st time? Mine feel like they're seized in place. I'm using an 8MM and it wants to strip out the bolt before the bolt will budge. Suggestions?

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
It does help if you have the bike raised so there is as little weight hanging on the bolts as possible - put the bike on a lift and raise it so that the rear suspension is unweighted. The back tire should be touching the ground, but the springs should be fully extended. I'm assuming that you are using an 8mm hex bit socket in a ratchet. 8mm "Allen" keys don't really have enough leverage to get the shock bolts out smoothly.

Also, try squirting a few drops of penetrating oil on the fastener. Leave it sit for a couple of hours and try again. Also, before you start backing the bolt out, you might try tightening it just a tiny bit. Sometimes that is enough to break the bond between the threads. You could also try adding a lttle heat - an electric hair dryer, but you need to be careful you don't damage the paint, etc. nearby. Just don't rush it.

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
If you are using a socket, you can try tapping it with a mallet after you spray the oil... tap it like you are trying to drive a nail... this will sometimes allow a little freeplay between the threads for the oil to get into.

Greg

·
MASTER VR TECH
1,777 Posts
Look, You need a 1/2" impact. If you start to strip it, or already have, you will have to drive a large TORX bit into it with a hand impact. This process can be complicated. When in doubt, see your dealer, or a shop that has the right tools for the job. From a Trained Tech. You cost yourself more money when you don't have the right tools or knowledge. Later SKI.

·
Full Speed Realtor
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks fellas. I got the suckers loose finally, just required a lot of elbow grease. After today I will seriously consider a lift, I could see how that would have made my life easier. All I was trying to do was mount my hard bags. Always the seemingly simple projects that turn out to be monsters. I really appreciate all of the help though, this forum is a great place.

·
Do It Movin...
1,180 Posts
Hot Rod:
I've found the hex bits with the rounded heads work just a bit better than the square heads.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Dont put them back in, I done the same thing,
Buy the Chrome ones from Drag Spec. they are harder than the stock grey ones and wont let your hex head Slide out of the bolt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts