Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking my girl to Florida in March. We'll be there about a week to a week and a half. I have to rent a car to get from Orlando to Key Largo and back. Plus I'd like to have a bike to ride with my bud when I'm down in the keys, but bike rental(including insurance) is over 2 bills per day. So I'm already looking at a lot for rental if I did want a loaner bike. Does anybody know of an affordable way to ship my bike to Orlando and back from either Orlando or Key Largo? And if you're gonna post a generic response about finding a random shipping company on Google, SAVE IT

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
I'm guessing here, are you flying from indiana to Orlando? If so cheapest way is rent a motorcycle trailer from uhaul and drive there and back. All that renting is going to cost big time. Any company shipping your bike there and back will run you 4to5 hundred each way. I've used uship.com for pricing and used a guy I would use again (I have his number if you need it).

·
Registered
81 Posts
I was in Florida last September and rented an Electra Glide through HOG on their fly and ride program to do a long weekend from Miami to Key West. Did have to pay membership fees but there is some value in it and the rental was half the price of anywhere else.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Have you tried to contact any of the local dealers? Bruce Rossmeyer's in Ormond Beach, New Smyrna Harley, Orlando Harley, Seminole Harley, Space Coast Harley, etc. You might be able to negotiate a decent rental from one of them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First off, I'd like to fly because I don't love big drives, plus the gas money is going to be hundreds of dollars anyways. I wouldn't need a trailer because I have a pickup, but my truck only gets about 20 mpg and I'm not real sure I want to trust it to go that far, plus drive it 20 and then 8, and then locally, and then another 28 hours or so without spending half of my vacation in the seat of my truck. Not to mention the fact that my girl won't drive my truck because it's got a big ass.

·
(Peter)
488 Posts
You can check with AmTrac to see if they have an auto train that follows your route. I do know there is one that runs from Florida up to Washington and it pretty economical. M

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll try to answer all of these responses. I appreciate them all. As far as rental location, all of the cheapest rentals I found were from dealerships. How much did it cost to rent a bike through a hog membership? I am curious about that train idea. I've never even considered it. I'd like to fly in and out of Orlando because I can fly my girl and I from 45 minutes away from home to Orlando International for $100 apiece round trip and I could easily get a ride to avoid parking. Diesel fuel will probably cost me 6-700 bucks if I drive. I'm guessing that due to my crew cab dually on 33's. So if I could get my bike there and back for around 6 bills, I'd probably go ahead and ship it down.

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Got a couple of friends that haul bikes - one for a company, one with his own company.

PM me, I'll give you their numbers and see if you can get a decent rate.

As previously mentioned - it's probably cheeper to just trailer the bike in with your own car - between airfare, care rental, bike transport (or rental), it's be cheaper that way.

Also, you can bring alot more personal crap with you.

Call me SPOILED, but even when I had my bagger - for longer distance/lengths of time vacations - I trailer. I usually video, do audio recordings and photography at concerts I do on the road - so I get to haul all my toys (laptops, multi-track recorders, mics, stands, pillows comforters, air mattress, on-&-on). So I have all my own crap, my own car (with killer AV system) AND I get to have the bike to ride.

Rick

·
Registered
81 Posts
As far as rental location, all of the cheapest rentals I found were from dealerships. How much did it cost to rent a bike through a hog membership
I imagine it depends on the season and location. I dont have my bill handy but that I recall it was only a couple hundred for the weekend plus about $60 for the membership; cheaper than anything else I found at the time. Not all dealers participate so best is to call them at 1-800-CLUBHOG (1-800-258-2464) to check rates etc. They also ask for a 2 or 3 week advance booking.

·
Registered
821 Posts
What about Eagle Rider? I've never used them, but I know it's an option. A good or a bad option... I dunno.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Fly down, rent a car & enjoy your self. You can always rent a bike for a couple of days. Fort Lauderdale or Miami HD are within riding distance of Key Largo. The time & money saved will help pay for a rental. Ft. Lauderdale HD 954-724-2800 Miami HD 800-545-2561. It is not worth the time & money it would cost you to drive. just moed here from Pa. & love it. Should have done it sooner. Need any help, let me know. Dave

·
Methosan
156 Posts
You can check with AmTrac to see if they have an auto train that follows your route. I do know there is one that runs from Florida up to Washington and it pretty economical. M
Amtrac has a policy of taking on board only bikes with at least 4-1/2" ground clearance... not all V-rods qualify.

·
Methosan
156 Posts
What about Eagle Rider? I've never used them, but I know it's an option. A good or a bad option... I dunno.
I've rented bikes from a Harley dealer as well as Eagle Rider locations. Some ER's are at dealerships, some aren't. My experience is Eagle Rider doesn't maintain their bikes worth shit whereas dealerships do. I had a Road Glide in NYC from ER and the rear air suspension leaked the air (once I went back and he put some in) out in about 10 minutes. Also the radio/cd-player did not work. Guess was it fun to ride 2-on on NYC's shitty roads.. every bump or dip taller or deeper than 1/4" made us bottom out the suspension on the frame. Talk about needing new tooth fillings. Make a search on Youtube for "Blue Knights Suicide Run 2010". I've got an hour video there in 6 parts. You can hear on the video every time we slammed the frame.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Last time we went down we flew to Orlando, rented a car for like 70 bucks for a day, had to have my buddy drive over an hour to get us, chilled with him using his vehicle and Electra Glide for 3 days, then had to have him drop us back off in Miami a few hours away so we could go home. I don't like being a burden. That and we had to drive hours away for air fare that was cheap enough at the time and pay for long term airport parking. If I can get my bike there I avoid hassling my buddy, I save 140-210 bucks on a rental, don't have to pay parking at the airport, and save 140-400 dollars on air fare. If I drive myself, it'll probably cost me the better part of a grand for diesel fuel. Hence the reason for this post. Oh yeah, not to mention the cost of a Harley rental which I would love to have. My bud is in a club down there too, so just another reason I need a bike.

·
Methosan
156 Posts
Last time we went down we flew to Orlando, rented a car for like 70 bucks for a day, had to have my buddy drive over an hour to get us, chilled with him using his vehicle and Electra Glide for 3 days, then had to have him drop us back off in Miami a few hours away so we could go home. I don't like being a burden. That and we had to drive hours away for air fare that was cheap enough at the time and pay for long term airport parking. If I can get my bike there I avoid hassling my buddy, I save 140-210 bucks on a rental, don't have to pay parking at the airport, and save 140-400 dollars on air fare. If I drive myself, it'll probably cost me the better part of a grand for diesel fuel. Hence the reason for this post. Oh yeah, not to mention the cost of a Harley rental which I would love to have. My bud is in a club down there too, so just another reason I need a bike.
Seriously, though, if you have 2 extra day to burn each way take the train. Tickets (before cost of adding the bike) are the same or less than airline tickets - you do end up paying more because it takes 2 days from Indianapolis to Orlando with 3 trains, but you go in style and comfort, and you'll have your own bike in FL.

·
Registered
157 Posts
go to forwardair.com they have special containrs for shipping bikes. you can get a quote on their web sited but it might be more expensive than renting for a few days. there is also anoter comapny that just ships bike and when i find the link on my other computer i'll let you know.

·
Registered
618 Posts
when are you going? race trailer going to orlando ahdra races march 2nd. they have plenty of room to get it there for you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dang it, the train won't work, the only auto train goes from washington state to orlando and you have to ride too. How would I get ahold of a race team to haul my bike for me? All of this other stuff I'm looking at 1,000-1,200 dollars 2 ways with scheduling conflicts of course. Any more ideas?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts