Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Life's Circle
6,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like the last two times I have had the bike out the shifting has not been very smooth.
Shifting from 1st to 2nd is where I see the most noticeable issue where 1/2 the time I shift to what I think it going to be 2nd and I end up screaming in Neutral.

Since I am about to head to MWT from TX, I'd prefer to NOT have this issue.
I'm thinking about taking it into the dealership to have it checked out but any suggestions??

·
Locktite Queen
2,037 Posts
Time for an oil change? I noticed my shifting was much smoother when i put in fresh amsoil....

·
Sock Monkey Express
1,067 Posts
Mine does it as well.
No jumping into N though.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Darren
2,007 Posts
I agree on the oil change. If that doesn't fix it, then you may have trans. issues like Lux had.

·
Registered
655 Posts
The amsoil does makes a big difference in the 1-2 crunch.had syn 3 from the dealer and dumped it inside of 400mile because of it.Lubing the shifter bushing makes an even bigger difference and should be done monthly IMO.

·
Life's Circle
6,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's not popping into N from 2nd...it's just going into N instead of 2nd when I shift up from 1st. It's almost like I'm purposely doing a half shift...which I am not.
I just had my oil changed 3.5k miles ago.

·
LIFESHORTRIDEHARD
1,164 Posts
It's not popping into N from 2nd...it's just going into N instead of 2nd when I shift up from 1st. It's almost like I'm purposely doing a half shift...which I am not.
I adjusted my linkage So I don't have to lift as high and learned to be a bit more firm on that first shift. The rest are nice and easy right?

Sent from my EVO 4g

·
Life's Circle
6,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes the rest of the gears shift just fine...but why would I have to adjust it all of a sudden? Does it fall out of adjustment over time?
I've got 20k on the bike and this just started.

·
LIFESHORTRIDEHARD
1,164 Posts
It's not like it's out of adjustment I just made it easier. And the trany gets a little like a good woman aftera hard riding lol. Just loosens up a bit hahaha. You only need to worry if it starts clunking harder than usual when shifting and that usually can be fixed with an oil change even if you aren't due for one

Sent from my EVO 4g

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
This might sound stupid but I have been wearing steel toes boots for 90% of my riding time, when I wear something else I have lots of trouble shifting into 2nd for many miles until I get used to it. Have you changed footwear rtc..?

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
This might sound stupid but I have been wearing steel toes boots for 90% of my riding time, when I wear something else I have lots of trouble shifting into 2nd for many miles until I get used to it. Have you changed footwear rtc..?
Not stupid at all Lux, I've experienced the same thing.

BTW a firmer upshift will always ensure it goes all the way into the next gear and avoids kicking or hitting the shift peg and hence stressing the trans. Noticed that in both my aircooled and Revo bikes...

·
LIFESHORTRIDEHARD
1,164 Posts
:them: I wear boots all the time and I notice the issue the most if I just have my sneakers on. Can you tell if you just shift a little harder that it clears the neutral gap?

Sent from my EVO 4g

·
Registered
515 Posts
Mine too...pretty consistently. 2012 VRSCF, only a few hundred miles...still orig oil

·
LIFESHORTRIDEHARD
1,164 Posts
Mine too...pretty consistently. 2012 VRSCF, only a few hundred miles...still orig oil
Ok, I don't want this to come off the wrong way.. How many bikes have you guys owned? I am on my 5th street bike and I have owned two dirt bikes and one 4wheeler. This issue is a very consistent issue across the board with all of them if you shift too lightly from 1st to 2nd gear... You have to shift stronger with your foot and make sure that you are doing it quickly enough to gap the neutral slot. That's all it is. Nothing is wrong with your bike. I only owned one bike that this was almost a non-issue. My ZX12R. The tranny was so tight on that thing I barely ever missed 2nd gear. One of the easiest ways of avoiding this is to adjust the shift linkage so that the lever is just above your toe in your boot. this will give you better travel when you flex your ankle. Give it a try and let us know how it goes. :soapbox:

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
A couple of comments. When up shifting from first to second, the gap between gears is greatest. I like to pre-load the shifter with my toe, but let the revs fall a half second or so after pulling the clutch in before executing the shift. Done well, and at a lower rpm, you can execute noiseless first to second shifts.
Second, adjust the throttle linkage so free play is absolutely minimized. This allows very fine throttle control so you can carefully control rpms as you shift. I shift a bike not very differently than I shift the non synchro gearbox on a semi (which I drove too many years) matching revs to roadspeed and gear being selected. Done well you shouldn't feel any shifts, up or down. Remember to blip the throttle as you downshift too.

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
Melissa I'm wondering if this started after washing your bike recently.

I had this problem a while back on one of mine and it went away after I lubricated the front Heim joint on the shift linkage.

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Mel,
1st to 2nd shifts are the longest, and the most often "missed" - that extra couple of mm to execute it completely - but are normal. We get a bit sloppy and complacent; or, I do, and lazily shift, miss, and have to do it again. Me every time. If you are riding up to milwaukee, change the oil before, anyway. If not, have Ken bring a fresh change for you, and I will do it for you at the hotel. If you are trailering, nothing to worry about! See you there. Joe

·
Life's Circle
6,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Two things...no it doesn't make a difference if I'm riding in my normal riding boots or my Chucks I wore yesterday and yes, I washed my bike about a week ago after getting back from Spring Fling in OK.
At any rate, I have my Amsoil on the way and will get it changed before I come up. I'm trailering to TN then riding from TN to WI.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts