Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Just wondering how the more experienced riders up shift. My wrench tells me that I should "stretch" my gears more and really get the rpms up there so when I up shift, the throttle response will be better and the bike will take off faster. He said I can easily hit 100 in 4th gear without bothering the engine or hurting it.

·
gRRR
239 Posts
you can "stretch" them till the rev-limiter kicks in ;-)

·
1130cc is enuff 4 me
2,426 Posts
I regularly shift @ 6000-7500rpm when riding. The v twin likes it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Agreed that you can stretch all the way to red line and yes, our V-Trins love it!

When I am just cruising around town, I tend to shift a little early as I love the low end burble of the exhaust from 3-4K RPM. When taking off from a stop in a purposful fashion, I like to twist her out to about 7K or more and make a scene by scaring women & children and setting off car alarms!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your replies. I'm not that experienced and have only 7k in miles under my belt, so I appreciate what you all have to say. Can any of you tell me why you would go to (for example), 75 mph in second gear? My mechanic says that when you get the RPMS up there in say 4th gear, when you upshift to 5th you really take off. I haven't tried that, but do you guys agree with that? My big issue is that the bike has more performance capabilities than I have riding skills, so I'd like to hear from you guys who really know what you're doing.

·
1130cc is enuff 4 me
2,426 Posts
Thanks for all your replies. I'm not that experienced and have only 7k in miles under my belt, so I appreciate what you all have to say. Can any of you tell me why you would go to (for example), 75 mph in second gear? My mechanic says that when you get the RPMS up there in say 4th gear, when you upshift to 5th you really take off. I haven't tried that, but do you guys agree with that? My big issue is that the bike has more performance capabilities than I have riding skills, so I'd like to hear from you guys who really know what you're doing.
The vrod lives for upper rpms, cruising around town between 3-4000rpm is where you should be. I am regularly at 4300+rpm on the highway in 5th when riding 75-80mph. I used to think that the motor was gonna explode, then I checked in on these forums & learned otherwise.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I tend to "lug" all the bikes I ride, I noticed that my VROD doesn't like anything below 3500ish, even 3500-4000 is kind of low, once I reach 5k or above it really shines!!! Mine is just too loud with the pipes I have now to be cruising at 5000, if I stay 65-70 on the highway it feels like I am really abusing it, but go to 80 or above feels smooth and the power comes in a lot smoother.

·
N R S N V
1,012 Posts

Then take your time!!!!! When you have a nice long stretch of road in front of you, just ride your bike in first gear, a good steady throttle. Better yet...from a red light to the next red light, don't shift out of first. Feel the bike and the listen to the motor, pay attention to your rpms. You don't have to crack the throttle wide open from the start. You will easily get to 60-65mph in first before you have to shift to second. Before you know it, you'll be cracking the throttle from a dead start and that rev limit will give you the ever popular..."bomp bomp" when it's reached it's limit. :D
I'm not at all advocating speeding, but these bikes cruise oh so smooth at 90-100mph

·
Registered
233 Posts
When mine's cold, I shift a bit earlier, say around 4000. Once it's warmed up, I'll let 'er honk a bit. I don't make a habit out of that though. Most of my riding is kept to around the speed limit (ok, 10 over) so I'm not really cranking on it much. I try to keep the revs around 3000 when cruising around town with no load or hills, etc. It seems happy there. It sucks when the speed limit is 25 (and patrolled) because 2nd seems too low, and 3rd it just grumbles and complains. I try to ride 32-ish in a 25 in 3rd gear.

·
Registered
181 Posts
3000rpm isn't really lugging your bike? I feel like mine is almost stumbling at 3000 in town? I had it dyno tuned 2 months ago.

·
james
601 Posts
Then take your time!!!!! When you have a nice long stretch of road in front of you, just ride your bike in first gear, a good steady throttle. Better yet...from a red light to the next red light, don't shift out of first. Feel the bike and the listen to the motor, pay attention to your rpms. You don't have to crack the throttle wide open from the start. You will easily get to 60-65mph in first before you have to shift to second. Before you know it, you'll be cracking the throttle from a dead start and that rev limit will give you the ever popular..."bomp bomp" when it's reached it's limit. :D
I'm not at all advocating speeding, but these bikes cruise oh so smooth at 90-100mph
wow, i can only get 55 out of mine in first before the rev limiter hits.

·
Registered
655 Posts
^^I agree,it also depends on the sprocket size.Easy riding 4000 to 4500rpm,also gives the top mpg.I don't think bumping the rev limiter with any consistency is ideal either in fact I try not to,dont forget the limiter is dependent on coolant temp.7000 below 180 degrees but could be wrong.When you bump the limiter the bike is telling you something.

·
Kickstart My Heart!!
1,506 Posts
My big issue is that the bike has more performance capabilities than I have riding skills, so I'd like to hear from you guys who really know what you're doing.
Hit me up for a ride sometime. I'll show you what this bike can do! :D

A friend I ride with knows when he hears my bike rev to just drift to the side as I am about to blow his wheels off and get my ya ya's out.

·
1130cc is enuff 4 me
2,426 Posts
^^I agree,it also depends on the sprocket size.Easy riding 4000 to 4500rpm,also gives the top mpg.I don't think bumping the rev limiter with any consistency is ideal either in fact I try not to,dont forget the limiter is dependent on coolant temp.7000 below 180 degrees but could be wrong.When you bump the limiter the bike is telling you something.
^ YES this happened to me once (7000rpm limit). One cool morning (Temps @ about 50*) I was riding on the highway @ 65ish for about 10 minutes... I took the off ramp & then started to merge back into traffic. When it hit, I thought I blew the bike up. lol

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have an '01 Deuce too. Talk about two totally different worlds. I'm reminded real quick which bike I'm on simply by twisting the throttle. The deuce is a DOG, but comfortable as hell. The Vrod is two bikes in one. One personality up to 5000 rpm, a totally different bike over that!!! It really does like hi rpms, so let 'er rip.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The Vrod is two bikes in one. One personality up to 5000 rpm, a totally different bike over that!!!
That's one of the first things I noticed when I got mine. It's tame and docile as a lamb when you're just putting around, but get some revs in it, and it's like you got fired out of a cannon!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Suicide, I am in Randolph and would love to take you up on the offer. Send me a private email and let's do this! I'm 42 and just had my first baby, so I am definitely not trying to be a speed demon or ride like a [email protected]@thead, but hearing your guys talk about the performance of the bike makes me want to know what it can do and then learn how to increase my abilities to take advantage of it.

·
Kickstart My Heart!!
1,506 Posts
Suicide, I am in Randolph and would love to take you up on the offer. Send me a private email and let's do this! I'm 42 and just had my first baby, so I am definitely not trying to be a speed demon or ride like a [email protected]@thead, but hearing your guys talk about the performance of the bike makes me want to know what it can do and then learn how to increase my abilities to take advantage of it.
PM sent

1 - 20 of 21 Posts