Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
50kmsec
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:banghead: It all started out giving me problems going into neutral and the my belt broke under hard exceleration going into third at the time I did not relate it to the transmission because I had some divits in my drive pulley so I thought it was rocks or something. Installed new belt first test ride out it gave me a small fit going into fifth and then it cleared up I road on for about four hours all was good. the next morning finally get to ride into work but noooo it would not go into third it went straight into neutral nursed it home. now on the jack I can force shift it by hand some times. and have not gotten a neutral lite at all even if it feels like it is in neutral. I have done some research on here and checked with the local shops. all leads are shifter shaft or shifter fork shaft or shifter fork. just puzzeled why some times it works and sometimes it don't. Any help would be appreciated. I will be doing the work myself providing I can fab up some of those specialty tools needed to get inside hoping I do not need to.

·
50kmsec
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:stooge:WTF Thought just for grins and simple I did an oil change moble 1 and first test ride is ok:notworth:

·
Registered
1 Posts
shifter not shifting

About 4 years ago had same problem on way home from Washington DC in Delaware on I-95 in stop and go traffic. Got lucky when bouncing over the grass to get to exit ramp it cleared up. When I got home took it to the HD dealer. They couldn't really come up with a reason for it. They thought that water was getting into the area where the shifter peddle was mounted on the shaft and compromising the grease. The fix was to use a heavier grease (I believe it is axle grease). Also when I wash my '05 vrod-a (with S-100) I put some electrical tape over the openings were the shifter peddle mounts on the shaft and tie a plastic bag over that area to keep the water out (plastic bag keeps me from blowing tape off with the hose). I haven't had any problems with it since.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts