Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, all in all, how many members have broken shifter shafts?? I have 15,000
miles on my 02A, can I expect this to happen sometime down the road??
I am easy on my bike, but do run thru the gears once in awhile.
Thanks for any input.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
floydster said:
So, all in all, how many members have broken shifter shafts?? I have 15,000
miles on my 02A, can I expect this to happen sometime down the road??
I am easy on my bike, but do run thru the gears once in awhile.
Thanks for any input.
58k on my 02 and still on the original shaft. Most of the shafts I have seen broken have a reason behind them breaking, either dropped or very hard shifts. They don't just snap during normal use IMHO.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Another part of this might just be how many have changed shift rods. I use the original shift rod which has a good deal of spring in it since it flex's easily. I have one of the chrome heavy shift rods that I don't use but I notice it has no flex at all. Meaning that the shift rod might work as a little bit of a cushion with some bikes on the shift shaft. Just a thought but we haven't checked to see how many shafts broken use the stock shift rod and how many use the altered shift rods.

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
26k miles on the original shaft. No problems.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Max said:
Another part of this might just be how many have changed shift rods. I use the original shift rod which has a good deal of spring in it since it flex's easily. I have one of the chrome heavy shift rods that I don't use but I notice it has no flex at all. Meaning that the shift rod might work as a little bit of a cushion with some bikes on the shift shaft. Just a thought but we haven't checked to see how many shafts broken use the stock shift rod and how many use the altered shift rods.
i'm not using the factory shift rod...might be something to that as my bike has never been down but i did have the shifter-shaft break at about 16k miles. i like to really stomp on the gears sometimes when i get into is so it's possible i just over stressed the metal as well.

it's just nice that it is a relatively cheap/easy fix.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the original shift rod as well, and keep it well lubricated, as I do with all the linkage on my bike.
Floyd

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Harleyvrodguy said:
sheared mine right off after 13k, hard shift into 1st
What kind of shift rod are you using? I only ask because I really think now that there may also be some relation in the shift rods. Didn't your bike also go down just over a year ago and if so did it hit on the left side at all?

·
Noel
4,611 Posts
What's the possibility that HARD shifting could weaken the shaft?
I am having problems with the shifter not returning after up shifting.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
TaxmanHog said:
What's the possibility that HARD shifting could weaken the shaft?
I am having problems with the shifter not returning after up shifting.
No doubt the harder you shift the harder it is on the shaft. Make sure all the linkages and rods are lubed good before you do anything else.

·
Big Daddy!
975 Posts
Max said:
What kind of shift rod are you using? I only ask because I really think now that there may also be some relation in the shift rods. Didn't your bike also go down just over a year ago and if so did it hit on the left side at all?
Stock shift rod, never down....knock on wood my friend!! :dance:

·
Not Dead Yet
1,172 Posts
32,000 - original shaft.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
1,000 miles and still on the orginal shaft. Sorry, I just had to say something...some of you guys really put on the miles.

·
Noel
4,611 Posts
Max said:
No doubt the harder you shift the harder it is on the shaft. Make sure all the linkages and rods are lubed good before you do anything else.
Thanks MAX,

I picked up a new seal -just in case- I decide to pull the shaft for inspection, cleaning & lube. Only 11.43 with tax! :broke:

This evening I put on a few more miles involving lots of up & down shifting, and did not miss one.

I am hoping the PM yesterday is working it's way into the joints on rod. :dance:

·
Noel
4,611 Posts
ragbagz said:
1,000 miles and still on the orginal shaft. Sorry, I just had to say something...some of you guys really put on the miles.
:notworth:

Over 22,000 hard ridden miles on my 04. VRSCA 4,300 this year
Over 7,000 on my 07 Screamin Eagle Ultra Since November 06
and 72,775 on my 98 Springer, not many this year, she is feeling neglected!

·
aka shudude
3,174 Posts
Just broke mine today, orginal shaft - 74,900 miles

shoe

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nooo!

I can't believe I laid down my 07 DX. Oh, the humanity! And my first bike too, yeah, I got ambitious when I decided to learn to ride. That said...

Since it went down on the left side, it snapped a shaft that I think is what we are talking about here. My DX has the forward controls, so the shift lever connects to a shift linkage (long, thin rod) which is OK. That linkage attaches to a lever (the transmission control lever, I think) at one end, the other end of the short lever is connected to a shaft that goes straight into the transmission. There is a seal around the broken piece of shaft sticking out. I rode it home (about 40 miles) in 4th gear because of this.

What I'd like your opinions on, is this something I can or should replace myself? I'm looking to minimize the cost of getting her up and running again. If I take it to the dealer, can you tell how much I should expect it to run, roughly? I also bent the handlebars a little, is replacing those something I could do? I have the basic hand tools and decent mechanical skills. Bike is due for its 1000 mile service anyway (961 miles).

Not too much other damage, I wasn't going very fast. Turn signal lenses popped off but didn't break. Left rear turn signal doesn't work, bulb looks fine though. I was surprised that the frame and airbox cover are untouched, along with the forks and other painted glossy bits.

Damn you Palomar Mountain Road!

:banghead:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts