Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I had to pull Daniii's engine and split the cases today because of a shift problem. Daniii and a couple of others replaced his shift shaft last week and then the bike would not stay in gear. I can report that the shift shaft replacement can cause problems. If you let the shift shaft slip back far enough during the install what will happen is the spring that holds the shift drum in place will fall under the retainer for it and you no longer have pressure on the shift drum to hold it in gear. We are doing an update to Dan's trans with new shift forks and update drum anyway but I wanted to report that it is possible during the shift shaft install to have other problems and require the cases to be split to repair. Will take some pictures and post later.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is an old shift arm and a new one. I was aware there were changes but now I see the spring is longer on the new shift arm that might keep this from happening on newer models but not sure which year they changed to this style shift arm. If you look in the bottom of the case in the first picture and visualize the location of the shift arm you can see the press fit pin the spring sits on top of. If yo move it back far enough it slips under that pin and then holds no tension on the shift drum.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
And then it jumps into other gears sorta randomly....... Rather disturbing, to say the least. I'm uploading pictures of the "Great 60K bike upgrade" right now....

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Oh boy those pictures look all too familiar, I hope what ever it is you two just replaced is being replaced on mine.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is one from around noon.

Attachments

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
Oh come on, now...it looks to me like Daniii is getting that new DMX engine upgrade!

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
smoothrod said:
Ok Dan you have the motor out and the cases are split, time to BB it. :)
We were going to use a drimmel tool and make it a bb. But then we discovered DMX's treatment to get the extra 50 hp with just a tune up. Thats right no oil and you get as much as 50 extra hp and lose extra weight. :)

·
Ray Connor
1,785 Posts
Danii and Smoothrod blown apart. You know guys I have access to an awesome DMX powerplant that bolts in the frame in minutes......if you guys can handle the power I suggest it.

Thanks for the post Max. I just knew the springs could drop and fail all together or you could stab it in no problem. I was not aware there could be a partial failure.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
smoothrod said:
Ok Dan you have the motor out and the cases are split, time to BB it. :)
Well we figured out what Bryon muller thought was a boat. The large black object up against the wall for those non techs like bryon that don't know thats called a tool box and not a boat. :rofl:

Attachments

·
Ducking for cover!
8,455 Posts
You and Daniii seem to have dueling threads happening on this subject.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
TexasV-Rod said:
You and Daniii seem to have dueling threads happening on this subject.
No dueling. Supplementary and simultaneous observations (I took lots more pictures. Max was sorta busy).

·
I'm Bored
1,741 Posts
Max said:
Here is an old shift arm and a new one. I was aware there were changes but now I see the spring is longer on the new shift arm that might keep this from happening on newer models but not sure which year they changed to this style shift arm. If you look in the bottom of the case in the first picture and visualize the location of the shift arm you can see the press fit pin the spring sits on top of. If yo move it back far enough it slips under that pin and then holds no tension on the shift drum.
So I'm guessing that if it does fall back far enough to miss the pin then that's the point of no return and you're going to have to split the cases? Good job on the pics guys.

·
tomsrod
191 Posts
Max

Max with all the extras he has on that bike iam really surprice you coild find the motor on the bike.:angeldev:

·
Rallycaust Survivor
11,141 Posts
Great info guys. Wished I could have been there to help/learn first hand. I noticed in one of the pics that you also had to use the craftsman jack while on the lift. Was that just to help hold the exhaust in a good location?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Troy said:
Great info guys. Wished I could have been there to help/learn first hand. I noticed in one of the pics that you also had to use the craftsman jack while on the lift. Was that just to help hold the exhaust in a good location?

Troy it takes two jacks to pull the engine. You have to have one to support the bike when the swing arm shaft is out and one to support the engine. So that best we could do was use the craftsman for the rear of the bike and my scissor jack for the engine.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
I suppose one person could do this by himself, but it would be a bit of an issuie. Max really needed my assistance for about 15 minutes. The rest of the time, I tried to stay out of his way. (And help him find tools).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts