Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Jeff/Modistrator
6,136 Posts

·
spit happens
5,531 Posts
Did yours go bouncing down the road and finally stop in the middle of the road like mine did???:D

Easy fix.There is alot of threads on this very subject,to help you threw it.
Mine just went boucing down the road again:soapbox::soapbox:

I have a feeling that the Kosman shift lever is too heavy for the shaft.This is twice now:deal:

·
Insane inda membrane
13,002 Posts
Waaay too much. My dealer was telling me they'd have to pull the engine and split the cases. I did it on my patio in under an hour.

·
Premium Member
5,718 Posts
How much you think a dealer would charge for this?

While at Laconia my buddy broke his doing a drunken burnout when he lost control and laid it down on the left side :banghead: ....anyway they had the shaft in stock and told him the book said 12 hours to remove and install the engine and install the new shaft.......and that they never did one so probably two days.....lol......I told him to buy the shaft for $85 and I'd take care of it. Once we got home it was done in less than 15 minutes with no more the 5 drips of oil because I jacked the bike up so the rear tire was a foot off the ground and the front tire was still on the ground.....god I love this forum :notworth:

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
While at Laconia my buddy broke his doing a drunken burnout when he lost control and laid it down on the left side :banghead: ....anyway they had the shaft in stock and told him the book said 12 hours to remove and install the engine and install the new shaft.......and that they never did one so probably two days.....lol......I told him to buy the shaft for $85 and I'd take care of it. Once we got home it was done in less than 15 minutes with no more the 5 drips of oil because I jacked the bike up so the rear tire was a foot off the ground and the front tire was still on the ground.....god I love this forum :notworth:
Don't you love it when you can save the day. :thumb:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Help

ALright so I changed out the shift shaft after I broke it ... Install went great , no leaks or anything, but now the bike pops outta third and 4th gear ... It was fine before, no shifting problems . Did i miss something???

·
Registered
6 Posts
Help!!

ALright so I changed out the shift shaft after I broke it ... Install went great , no leaks or anything, but now the bike pops outta third and 4th gear ... It was fine before, no shifting problems . Did i miss something???

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok mine broke this past weekend, not sure of a reason since I don't recall ever dropping it on its side but who know who ****ed with it while parked.

Sounds like a pretty simple fix so I bought the new shaft, seal and rings for my 02 but wait now I read that earlier models such as the 02's have old parts that need updating otherwise it won't allow simply pulling and replacing without opening the case. Something about the old springs disengaging when the shaft is pulled. Some say it needs to be in either neutral or in 1st or 2nd gear while pulling shaft to prevent this, still not clear if that even helps with an 02. So I am not sure if I should even try since this forum is somewhat contradicting or hard to follow. Can anyone help???

I emailed the local dealers service where I bought the parts and they told me they replace a couple broken shafts in the past. Says the service manual has a very detailed procedure of dropping the oil pan and holding the spring in place while replacing the shaft. Otherwise the engine would need to be pulled and case split to correct the problem if done without this procedure. Say its a difference of 3.5 hour job to over 10 hours if not done correctly. He is sending me a quote for the job. Anyone have a service manual to verify this?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I am going to be doing the shift shaft replacement soon. I have read about every post I could find trying to figure out when they updated the spring. So far I have gathered it was during the 2004 production but I haven't found a solid date. My mfg date is 12/03. I'm guessing I have the old internals. Can anyone confirm? Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had the parts ready to go until I read about the spring letting loose on older models so I let West Bend HD replace my shifter shaft on my 02. They charged me 1 hour labor. Apparently there is a service manual procedure to remove the oil pan and hold the spring in place while replacing the shaft. Not sure if there are any special tool for doing so but there was an extra charge for a $1.00 oil pan gasket.

·
Lover of Bikes
1,726 Posts
Just replaced my '05 shaft that broke while in the Adirondacks. Luckily my buddy had a 10mm wrench so I could reinstall it on the remaining shaft. It got me home about 200 miles and I rode with it daily until the shaft/seal arrived from Zanottis about 3 weeks later (about $50 cheaper than here in Canada). My 16 year old did most of the work. Lost more than a few drops of oil though...more like about 100ml. Thanks to this post!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I finally changed the shift shaft on my 04 B. I had read about the older models and the procedure to remove the oil pan. I have the motor out right now while I'm getting the frame powdercoated so I figured it would be the best time to do it. I had been running with the shift bracket pushed further down the shaft and the shift linkage bent to compensate.

When I removed the broken shift shaft and looked into the empty hole I could tell the entire interior linkage had sprung up and to the right. However, I was able to use a skinny common screwdriver to pry the interior linkage down while carefully lining the new shaft up. At a certain point the screwdriver has to come out but by that point the tip of the new shaft is lined up. From there it's just a matter of wiggling and carefully pushing the new shaft in.

Just take your time and be careful but this can be done on the older models without pulling the oil pan.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com App

·
Jpeso
13 Posts
I finally changed the shift shaft on my 04 B. I had read about the older models and the procedure to remove the oil pan. I have the motor out right now while I'm getting the frame powdercoated so I figured it would be the best time to do it. I had been running with the shift bracket pushed further down the shaft and the shift linkage bent to compensate.

When I removed the broken shift shaft and looked into the empty hole I could tell the entire interior linkage had sprung up and to the right. However, I was able to use a skinny common screwdriver to pry the interior linkage down while carefully lining the new shaft up. At a certain point the screwdriver has to come out but by that point the tip of the new shaft is lined up. From there it's just a matter of wiggling and carefully pushing the new shaft in.

Just take your time and be careful but this can be done on the older models without pulling the oil pan.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com App
Did you ever have a problem with you shifter after you did the switch?

21 - 40 of 62 Posts