Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Add another to the list... On the way to get my bike inspected my shifter lever fell off, I have Kosman mid controls... Anyway, mine broke at the bevel for the through bolt. Thanks VRodG for the phone call. Went from a slight panic to alright, no problem. Thanks again bro'!

FYI part numbers are (thanks Max)
Shaft PN 35432-01K
Seal PN 12071K

Prices as of today. Shaft - $72.37. Seal - $10.71
I believe the seal is a common seal because they have 10 in stock. Of course the shifter shaft needs to be ordered.

Is there a video "how to" on the forums for replacing broken shift shafts? I haven't found one and since this seems to be a reoccurring problem for many people I'd be happy to do one.:D

The first two pics are of the end of the shaft in the shift lever. The last is whats left sticking out of the transmission.

See post #10 for more pics of the swap.

This is covered in pages 3-76 to 3-78 in the 2004 VRSC Shop Manual

Attachments

·
Insane inda membrane
13,002 Posts
It's happened to me, and it's a piece of cake to fix. Two c-clips to deal with and that's it.

·
spit happens
5,531 Posts
Add another to the list... On the way to get my bike inspected my shifter lever fell off, I have Kosman mid controls... Anyway, mine broke at the bevel for the through bolt. Thanks VRodG for the phone call. Went from a slight panic to alright, no problem. Thanks again bro'!

Shaft PN 35432-01K
Seal PN 12071K

I believe the seal is a common seal because they have 10 in stock. Of course the shifter shaft needs to be ordered.

Is there a video "how to" on the forums for replacing broken shift shafts? I haven't found one and since this seems to be a reoccurring problem for many people I'd be happy to do one.:D

The first two pics are of the end of the shaft in the shift lever. The last is whats left sticking out of the transmission.
Did yours go bouncing down the road and finally stop in the middle of the road like mine did???:D

Easy fix.There is alot of threads on this very subject,to help you threw it.

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did yours go bouncing down the road and finally stop in the middle of the road like mine did???:D
LOL! Nah, mine broke on a downshift and hung down a bit but didn't fall off. I stopped and pulled it up and it came off in my hand.

Kurt, I remember reading about yours. It wasn't that long ago was it?

Thanks fella's! I'll do a quick video then for those of us who haven't gone through this yet.

·
Insane inda membrane
13,002 Posts
It was about a year ago, just before Midwest Thunder.

·
COLEROD
334 Posts
what up?

Shaft PN 35432-01K
Seal PN 12071K

This probably wouldn't happen unless you ride kinda hard. Do you ever ride sort of fast or anything?:)

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alrighty, I did the swap. Took all of 30 minutes. That included putting the bike on the jack, taking pics (sorry video cam batteries are dead), and clean up. Thanks to Laugermans H-D for getting the parts in 3 days!

First pic is of the broken shifter still in the bike. The other, the new shifter shaft and seal.

Attachments

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Removing the outer snap ring.

Attachments

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Next, drill a hole into the seal (yellow arrow). Using a sheet metal screw to thread into hole, tighten sheet metal screw and it will push the seal out. Clean out any shavings.

Attachments

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Remove the inner snap ring just like the outer. Slowly pull the shifter shaft out. The shift actuator (yellow arrow) is spring loaded and will move slightly up and to the right when you remove the shaft.

Comparing the original to the new you can see the original is bent... Hmm

Attachments

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Carefully install the new shaft. I know there is a joke here but anyway, it takes some moving, pushing and pulling, but get the new shaft seated in position.

Install inner snap ring,

Install seal. I used a 3/4" deep set socket.

Install outer snap ring and your done!

VrodG and LL Cool K are right. EASY job! It took longer to post this then to do the swap.

Attachments

·
Insane inda membrane
13,002 Posts
:stupid:

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh boy... cat fight!
LOL!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts