Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve the “04A model ,I’m about to remove the shift shaft but my concern is it may have the shorter actuator spring . Has anyone done this procedure with success and not having to split the cases? Doing my head in lol .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your help guys , my concern is that I’ve read a few threads saying “04,”03,”02 have shorter springs p/n 35443-01K & 35445-01K and have a chance of falling out of alignment but during the “04 production they changed them out . My “04 was actually built in September 2003 vrsca

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did mine a few day's ago,be very gentle when you pull it out..clean all the grease from the new shaft and use engine oil to lube the new shaft and seal..I removed the old seal with a small screw driver

Hey buddy, is your a 2004 model and if it is what month was it manufactured? Thanks for your help

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well , I bit the Bullet and finished the shift shaft replacement. So it seems that 2004 models that were built in September 2003 have the longer springs also . After the procedure I took the bike for a 10 minute test ride and the gears all selected better than before and no issues with 3rd/4th . Thanks for the assistance

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Jan - Dirk the forum was helpful I found numerous post and a few pictures spoke to a couple of guys and decided the odds were in my favour. Now tomorrow a new Avon Cobra tyre and I’m off riding again. Thanks once again

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did mine a few day's ago,be very gentle when you pull it out..clean all the grease from the new shaft and use engine oil to lube the new shaft and seal..I removed the old seal with a small screw driver

Removing the grease off of the shift shaft is important, thanks Thunderdemon , that 1 step , saved me a lot of time and stress. Needed to use a #2 Philip’s head screw driver to move the actuators , etc back into place but then it slipped in and with a little turn went into place.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.