Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
F*@kTard
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 5-year old stock battery died completely earlier this spring so I bought an OEM replacement from the dealer as a precaution while charging it up with a tender overnight and since then I have had no issues with my original stocker. How long can my OEM replacement sit on a shelf and still be a viable replacement (taking into consideration I would fully charge it on a tender as well before installing it)?

·
MSF Ridercoach
276 Posts
does the battery have the acid already in it and sealed or does it have a bottle of electrolyte that needs to be put in the cells and then charged for the first time?

there should be a date stamp on it to say when it was made to. Can expect probably a two yr shelf life from time of manufactured with no worries in a temp controlled environment. if its allowed to sit in a place that gets seriously cold in the winter though it could be significantly less.

Though you can bypass all this if you just hook it up to a tender and then it should stay good for a very long time. Battery life can be such a hard thing to determine because how the battery is used and charged and discharged and what environmental factors it is exposed to can have affects on its life as well.

But sitting on a shelf with no real use and hooked to a tender it probably be good ten yrs from now still.

Ok enough of my rambling....

·
F*@kTard
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks man - I just wanted to know if I should sell it to someone who can use it now or let it sit until I need it. Assuming the dealers will keep v-rod batteries in stock so I can get another replacement whenever I end up actually needing it. I honestly didn't look in the box to see if the electrolytes are already added or not. I will just add another tender to my collection (houseboat with three batteries, open-bow Cobalt, Charger jetboat, 2 jetskis and the vrod) for this battery too...

·
MSF Ridercoach
276 Posts
I know that feeling. I got tenders sitting at the house for things I dont even own anymore but may own another one again soon so i keep em.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts