Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kinda new product for aluminum anything. Talked with the guy today and he swears by the stuff. One good application to the wheels and no discoloring or pitting. On Vtwin forums, many people swear by the stuff, applied to v-rod wheels. Only has to be applied about every 2 or 3 years.

www.sharkhide.com

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Applied sharkhide to my wheels when brand new (over a year ago). Worked very well.

I have since replaced my wheels with custom units.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
qcwiz I tried shark hide and the problem I had was that it is very difficult to apply and make it look good. You wipe it on with a rag so it does protect well but if your looking for a smooth application it is very tough to get even if you spray it on.

Max

·
Registered
582 Posts
Max said:
qcwiz I tried shark hide and the problem I had was that it is very difficult to apply and make it look good. You wipe it on with a rag so it does protect well but if your looking for a smooth application it is very tough to get even if you spray it on.

Max

Max,

Did you leave the sharkhide on the wheels? How did you get it off. Is it possible to get a nice smooth coat?

I've been using liberal amounts of S100 corrosion protectant. Sprays on and leaves the wheel slooking rather dull. Works pretty well although you need to keep reapplying it iperiodically.

I'm told that Clear coating the wheels will not work well, Clear coat yellows or cracks... is this true?

Rodman

·
Registered
582 Posts
MR_KING said:
Applied sharkhide to my wheels when brand new (over a year ago). Worked very well.

I have since replaced my wheels with custom units.

How did you manage to get a smooth coat?

Thanks,

Rodman

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
rodman it comes off with paint thinner or mineral spirits but I took it back off of mine. I just never could get it to look right so I can't say how it would hold up.

Max

·
Registered
149 Posts
TTT..
Since my bike hasn't been riden yet I'm thinking it would be a good idea to do something to help protect them while they are still clean. I have heard praises for Mothers Billet and some good/bad for Sharkhide. From Max's experience it seems to be a PITA to apply the Sharkhide but what about it looking good? Max can you elaborate on why it didn't look good to ya? Was it just the overall finish (rough or streaky?) or did it loose some of the shine, etc?
Will the Mothers Billet protect or is it just a cleaner/polish?

TIA..
ks

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
kevins... I use Mothers Billet then a good coat of carnauba wax, if you don't use the wifes dish soap to wash your bike it's good for a couple of months.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Rodman Ilive in an area that does not have salt on the roads ever and so all I do is keep the wheels clean.

Kevins the shark hide even after it dried looked like it was put on with a paint brush and left that finish on the wheel. It was rough and uneven no matter what I did to apply it, also before you make it all the way around the wheel the other part has started to dry so when you get back around to it it leaves a seam that looks terrible like partly melted liquid and very rough.

Max

·
Registered
582 Posts
VrodG said:
kevins... I use Mothers Billet then a good coat of carnauba wax, if you don't use the wifes dish soap to wash your bike it's good for a couple of months.

If you live in a wet climate with salted the roads, or if you live near the sea, then wax probably will not protect your wheels.

I use S100 Corrosion Protectant on both my bikes. It works. I get rust spots anywhere I fail to spray. S100 will is not water soluable but washes off with a strong cleaner. On the downside it's not a permanent solution and it dulls the look of the wheels. :2cents:

Rodman

·
Registered
582 Posts
Max said:
Rodman Ilive in an area that does not have salt on the roads ever and so all I do is keep the wheels clean.

Kevins the shark hide even after it dried looked like it was put on with a paint brush and left that finish on the wheel. It was rough and uneven no matter what I did to apply it, also before you make it all the way around the wheel the other part has started to dry so when you get back around to it it leaves a seam that looks terrible like partly melted liquid and very rough.

Max

Thanks Max.

I found a new product out here in the UK.

It's called Protex 4 Alloy Wheel Protectant. It claims 12 month protection using a polymer (plastic) compound that. It comes in a spray can ( what about the brakes???)

http://www.speeding.co.uk/acatalog/Protex4_Alloy_Wheel_Protection.html

I'll give it a try and let everyone know how it works.

Rodman

1 - 12 of 12 Posts