Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Discovery channel this week, check out "Seven Wonders of... Motorcycling".

As we would all expect, the VROD makes an appearance!
(I won't spoil it... watch to see where it places).

·
Yeah, but what if...
4,714 Posts
I won't see it so you gotta trell me!

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
It was nice that they listed the V-Rod (at #6) as one of the "wonders of motorcycling", but all in all, it was a pretty forgettable show. I'm not sure I learned anything new from it.

The main problem, with this sort of show is, of course, that any list of the "best" or "most significant" bikes is going to be extremely subjective. I suppose that that the Honda Super Cub was pretty significant in making Honda a player in the US market - but from neither appearance nor performance standpoints could it be considered a "wonder". Likewise, the Hayabusa: you may admire the engineering that went into creating a street-legal 200 mph bike - but the number of owners who would ever be able to use a fraction of that speed and power is pretty miniscule.

Three bikes that didn't make the list, but very well could have are the Britten V1000 (a revolutionary "home-built" sportbike); the Vincent Black Shadow a "150 mph" superbike at a time when most Harleys could barely break 100; and the Honda CB 650 - the beginnings of the modern performance bike market. You could also add in there the Ducati 916. I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of other candidates too.

IMHO, the show looked like it had been assembled from bits and pieces of footage left over from previous Discovery Channel motorcycle productions. I'm glad they put it on - but I wouldn't go out of my way to see it again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts