Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 VRSCA Anniversary
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

I've tried to get as far as I can by myself and using Google, but what settings should I set my autotune for? Min map kpa, etc. RPM is at 9000(won't let me go past 9k). Max ve learn at 20%, min .01% or so.
It's set at stock improved right now, again.
I recently got Bassani road rage 2:1 pipes and it seems whenever I load the tune I end up with a weird jumpy sputter kicky kinda thing in the mid (2-3kish) range RPM, especially revving up in 1st and 2nd gears for shifting.
I get a lot of VE+(between cells and or variable changing too fast code) and MAP:L somewhat often, but kpa set to 30 and I get hardly any hits on it.

I'm going to try it again with the stock improved map and just ride the heck out of it up and down these Kentucky hills and hope it populates the cells where I'm getting that dang sputter.
Any advice on what to change would be great. Please.

Powervision(pretty sure I firmware updated it first thing out of the box) and I have the autotuner, for PV with the wide band, screwed into my Bassani pipes(came with holes preinstalled).

·
Registered
2003 VRSCA Anniversary
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, cap or scale? I was scaling at first but after I bit I could smell it getting richer with each update, so I cleaned out those maps and started over with capping it after every ride.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
Also, cap or scale? I was scaling at first but after I bit I could smell it getting richer with each update, so I cleaned out those maps and started over with capping it after every ride.
I take it you are using Basic Autotune? A few quirk and tips for you. Touchy area on the low MAP. Set it for 20 min as most stock bikes idle at 25 ish. When autotuning, other then idle, do not accept any data where the engine is pulling less then 20kpa. Meaning, don't let it over run, coast, decel or whatever when auto tuning. Simple way is to pull clutch in and coast back to a stop and repeat going up through the gears. Only accept data on known 20kpa and up or it will bloat the ve tables, generally in the 2-3k range, making them rich. You can see this effect when you do compares between updated cal and another. Some updated cals, you won't use just because you got bad data. Cap and Scale. Notice in the cal there are 127 cells in the decel areas. This will always ask you to scale since they can never be autotuned out. Software quirk in that area. Two options. Remove the 127s and change them to 110. Unless you have cells in higher rpm operational zones you should not scale. Always Cap unless there are 127s more to the right of decel areas. Even at that, only scale maybe once, twice at most or it will end up pig rich. 9000 rpm limit in cal can be raised a bit in the Limits and Switches selection of the calibration. Stock improved which I also run is set to 9100. On your final cal, go in and disable Adaptive learn. I've never gotten a stable tune with it enabled. Depending on how comfortable you are at this tuning, you can also after the first couple of runs, load the next cal set +4 on both timing tables. When you data run, it will automatically pull -4 to the cal. This way you fool it to tune to the cals actual timing. WARNING. Do not forget to revert this timing back on the final cal. I would also set the final cal CLB tables to 700 on both because this is what Basic uses to autotune with.
Ron

·
Registered
2003 VRSCA Anniversary
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I take it you are using Basic Autotune? A few quirk and tips for you. Touchy area on the low MAP. Set it for 20 min as most stock bikes idle at 25 ish. When autotuning, other then idle, do not accept any data where the engine is pulling less then 20kpa. Meaning, don't let it over run, coast, decel or whatever when auto tuning. Simple way is to pull clutch in and coast back to a stop and repeat going up through the gears. Only accept data on known 20kpa and up or it will bloat the ve tables, generally in the 2-3k range, making them rich. You can see this effect when you do compares between updated cal and another. Some updated cals, you won't use just because you got bad data. Cap and Scale. Notice in the cal there are 127 cells in the decel areas. This will always ask you to scale since they can never be autotuned out. Software quirk in that area. Two options. Remove the 127s and change them to 110. Unless you have cells in higher rpm operational zones you should not scale. Always Cap unless there are 127s more to the right of decel areas. Even at that, only scale maybe once, twice at most or it will end up pig rich. 9000 rpm limit in cal can be raised a bit in the Limits and Switches selection of the calibration. Stock improved which I also run is set to 9100. On your final cal, go in and disable Adaptive learn. I've never gotten a stable tune with it enabled. Depending on how comfortable you are at this tuning, you can also after the first couple of runs, load the next cal set +4 on both timing tables. When you data run, it will automatically pull -4 to the cal. This way you fool it to tune to the cals actual timing. WARNING. Do not forget to revert this timing back on the final cal. I would also set the final cal CLB tables to 700 on both because this is what Basic uses to autotune with.
Ron
It's autotune pro with 2 wideband O2 sensors. I guess that'd be basic compared to target tune, which I'm pretty sure is straight up not compatible at all with 03 VRSCA.
On my first fresh cal run I went for about 40 minutes and went a little harder and tried to populate the 2-3k area with actual running hits at 29 Kpa. At idle I'm sitting around 31, but actual running it'll hang out anywhere from 28(with load) to 37ish. It seems to have reduced the gurgle a good bit compared to my last few tries. I think after this I'll probably have to change my plugs, since it'll be time for my winter maintenance anyway, polish the solid wheels and whatnot.
It looks like I'll be having to plug in my PV into my laptop then and manually adjust those tables where it gurgles a bit, then, to 110? And the rev limit? I don't recall seeing those options in the PV settings anywhere on the standalone box.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
It's autotune pro with 2 wideband O2 sensors. I guess that'd be basic compared to target tune, which I'm pretty sure is straight up not compatible at all with 03 VRSCA.
On my first fresh cal run I went for about 40 minutes and went a little harder and tried to populate the 2-3k area with actual running hits at 29 Kpa. At idle I'm sitting around 31, but actual running it'll hang out anywhere from 28(with load) to 37ish. It seems to have reduced the gurgle a good bit compared to my last few tries. I think after this I'll probably have to change my plugs, since it'll be time for my winter maintenance anyway, polish the solid wheels and whatnot.
It looks like I'll be having to plug in my PV into my laptop then and manually adjust those tables where it gurgles a bit, then, to 110? And the rev limit? I don't recall seeing those options in the PV settings anywhere on the standalone box.
Pro is a different animal. Generally set to 13.0 or 13.5 afr across the board to develop the ve tables. Yes it's rich and sometimes the engine will buck and skip at some rpms because of this. Manual adjusting seldom works in closed loop as the sensors will revert it back via trims. You can manually edit percentage wise in areas but only after the Pro has developed the ve tables with the default AFR. Sensors are then removed and you will be in open loop from there. No trims will be formed in open loop so whatever ve edits you make will hold. Target tune is a much friendlier method. You can tune to the AFR of your choosing if the canned PV cal doesn't quite cut it. The early TT enabled cals were very rich as well. The last few , the past year or so are much better target AFRs.
With PRO, take it a step further. There is no reason you cannot develop the ve tables with PRO to a sane AFR in the idle to higher rpm cruise ranges of 5k and above with an AFR of 14.2-14.5 and leave the rest at 13.0, 6k and up and all areas 70kpa and up to 13. You modify the existing PV cal AFR to your liking and go out and develop the ve tables to the new AFRs. Pull the WB unit off after tuning is done and run open loop from then on.
Ron

·
Registered
2003 VRSCA Anniversary
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pro is a different animal. Generally set to 13.0 or 13.5 afr across the board to develop the ve tables. Yes it's rich and sometimes the engine will buck and skip at some rpms because of this. Manual adjusting seldom works in closed loop as the sensors will revert it back via trims. You can manually edit percentage wise in areas but only after the Pro has developed the ve tables with the default AFR. Sensors are then removed and you will be in open loop from there. No trims will be formed in open loop so whatever ve edits you make will hold. Target tune is a much friendlier method. You can tune to the AFR of your choosing if the canned PV cal doesn't quite cut it. The early TT enabled cals were very rich as well. The last few , the past year or so are much better target AFRs.
With PRO, take it a step further. There is no reason you cannot develop the ve tables with PRO to a sane AFR in the idle to higher rpm cruise ranges of 5k and above with an AFR of 14.2-14.5 and leave the rest at 13.0, 6k and up and all areas 70kpa and up to 13. You modify the existing PV cal AFR to your liking and go out and develop the ve tables to the new AFRs. Pull the WB unit off after tuning is done and run open loop from then on.
Ron
I haven't had a chance to test it out yet, but I took the PV unit off the bike and plugged it into my laptop(my laptop is plugged into the rest of my setup, unconventionally). I went and edited, from the existing map I just tuned with riding with the AT-110B, the low-mid Kpa up to 3.5-4k to 14.5-ish +/- and lowered the 127 VE zones to 100-110 like the rest of them were close to. My back cylinder had a lot more 127s than the front, I'm not sure the front had any, actually. They were grouped up in a weird zone but I just went ahead and leveled those out too. Surprisingly, to me anyway, most of my VE are close to 100.
From here, would you suggest I run this map on autotune closed loop to possibly refine the unedited sectors, or leave as it and ride it?

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
I haven't had a chance to test it out yet, but I took the PV unit off the bike and plugged it into my laptop(my laptop is plugged into the rest of my setup, unconventionally). I went and edited, from the existing map I just tuned with riding with the AT-110B, the low-mid Kpa up to 3.5-4k to 14.5-ish +/- and lowered the 127 VE zones to 100-110 like the rest of them were close to. My back cylinder had a lot more 127s than the front, I'm not sure the front had any, actually. They were grouped up in a weird zone but I just went ahead and leveled those out too. Surprisingly, to me anyway, most of my VE are close to 100.
From here, would you suggest I run this map on autotune closed loop to possibly refine the unedited sectors, or leave as it and ride it?
Auto tune it with the new edits.
Ron

1 - 7 of 7 Posts