Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a two-car garage that I plainly staked out as mine when we moved it. Sure, over the years, I've allowed some small storage of non-manly things, but that's kept to a single shelf and covered up to prevent infection.

What I've got now is basically your general purpose shop. There's the obligatory tools and supplies one needs simply to maintain a household along with the left-overs of many large and small home repair/improvement projects. Aside from that, I've dabbled in wood working for the last few years so I've got some pretty mean power tools along those lines (table saw, router w/table, planer, etc). On the mechanical side, though, I've got a single socket set and basically what's needed to maintain my yard tools and basic (and I mean basic) auto repair.

As I've committed myself to heading down the long road of saving for a V-Rod, I would also like to start getting the shop ready to tinker and customize.

What are the top 5 or 10 "gotta have" tools that I will need? I've got plenty of space, light and power, but little in the way of mechanical hardware.

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Get the maintenance and electrical manuals for your bike.
The HD-issued manuals that come with the bike or is there better 3rd-party published material, like the Clinton manuals? The shop already has a fairly decent computer in it (used to be my high-end gaming rig circa 2003) with a tv/sound/and plenty of electric.

I have found some purpose-built cycle jacks online for around the $300-350 point. Overkill?

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts

·
boredom kills
2,323 Posts
Well, personally, if it will take you a long time just to save for the bike, forget the tools. Go figure out a way to buy someone's garage queen low milage 02. 03, or 04 for like 6 or 7 grand. They won't break so you won't need the tools right aaway.

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
Well... I can think of a few things... 1 yes a MC jack. Sum like the Sears, I have the MC jack from AutoZone. Works great. No issues. My buddy has a MC jack from Harbor Freight, he has a Big Dog and uses that. Really a personal preference on those tho.
You will need Allen wrenches, you can get the "standard" type (I got mine @ Lowes both met. and SAE and has a handle in the case to use if you need it) and or a set for ratchets is really nice. Star bit set and a star socket set. And yes invest in the HD Maintenance/Elec. book (SHOP BOOK) for your bike. They are 4 sale on here all the time. Zip ties, Velcro, Drill-bits, easy outs, tap and die sets. The list is endless. This is just the basics stuff. Always ask ?'s if you have any. Feel free. There are ALOT of ppl here who know their shit! And there are ppl here who think they/dont know shit! But any way just ask!!
Also you will need a small/big Frig. for the BEER!!!

And ....:vrodforu:

Joe

·
Registered
13 Posts
Get a parts manual as well, has lots of exploded views for when you brain fart and cant remember which little piece went in which order.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts

·
REVOLUTION !!!
21,389 Posts
Make sure to order all the slutty calendars and posters that adorn many home garages..

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
better 3rd-party published material, like the Clinton manuals?
"Oral sex for dummies"?:angeldev:
:hidesbeh:

Welcome!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts