Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Torx Button Head screw next to the brake that holds the muffler cover on keeps coming out, this happened shortly after getting the bike.
Dealer put new in and Red Threadlocker on and still it comes out when riding.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could fix this without needing to tighten the screw after each ride?
Even this may not work if on a long ride.

Thanks for you time.

Joe

·
Kevin
89 Posts
I had same problem. I used some "high temp thread locker". It solved the problem. Good luck.

·
Big Dawg
705 Posts
Do a search for heat shield screw and you will find tons of info.

·
Registered
284 Posts
thanks will check mine. saw manolos had bad out. there when he tighten. going to have to let him know to keep a eye on it.
must be another factory bo bo.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
It's a notorious problem on the V-Rods. They made a new kit with wider nuts, but they'll vibrate out too. Not to mention those nuts are a pretty tight fit in the hangars.

If you use high temp silicone, instead of thread locker, it will hold much better, IMVHO.

RJ

·
Jay Johnston
1,732 Posts
Change the pipes, put a CFR on and no more worries about heat shield screws! I used red lock tite on mine when I had the stokers mounted and it seemed to work just fine.

·
Registered
155 Posts
street rodder said:
If you use red thread locker and let it dry overnight, it'll stay in. mine has been in for almost a year.
I thought the red stuff was near impossible to break loose later? I used it by mistake a few years ago on a headlight trim ring, was more than a bitch getting off. Would you risk a problem if/when you wanted to take them off?

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
gregbenner said:
I thought the red stuff was near impossible to break loose later? I used it by mistake a few years ago on a headlight trim ring, was more than a bitch getting off. Would you risk a problem if/when you wanted to take them off?
Red is harder to get off, but heat helps to break it up. So on the exhaust, it may be okay. I don't use locktite. I found silicone does a pretty good job at preventing vibration loosening.

·
Registered Idiot
5,461 Posts
I just replaced mine 3 weeks ago, HD has a new screw that is slightly triangular shaped if you look at the thread end and appears to be just a bit longer. Supossed to hold better, we'll see. Sorry I do not know the new part number.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just and update, took her out for a spin on Saturday and lost another one same spot.
Seems as if it’s stripped.

Now what?

Joe

·
Registered
12 Posts
Had same problem with my vrscr. used blue locktite and no more loose screws coming out. Worked for more than a year

·
Registered
74 Posts
Use the high temp silicone. I think it's called "RTV" or something like that. Any auto parts store will have it. I'm pretty sure that Permatex makes it. I had exactly the same problem. This fixed it, and it doesn't get hard like Loctite does, so your bolts will be easy to take off later.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I tried the "red" hi-temp locktite. Still lost the bolt on the heat shield. Read about the silicon, tried and it worked like a charm. No more lost bolt....so far. Ha!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Problem fixed for this year

One more update.
Electric City Harley in Scranton, PA, helped out with the problem.
They had a fix for it, also replaced the heat shield recall

Fixed for this years riding season.

If it comes out again I will use the old stand by duck tape.

Joe

·
Registered
155 Posts
carrerabike said:
One more update.

If it comes out again I will use the old stand by duck tape.

Joe
I think Harley has developed some special "high temp" duc tape. Cost a hundred dollars though.:banghead:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cost for Harley tape $$$$

:notworth:
Cost of the tape priceless, fixing the screw, now that's style.

That's what I'm talking about!!

J

1 - 17 of 17 Posts