Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
V-Rod Addict
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to install my HD 28T sprocket and rear chrome pulley. My question is how much time should I expect a dealer to charge me to install it? Is there anything in the manual that states time for these changes?

I also need to switch out my switch housings and master cylinder housings for the new chrome ones I bought. Time to do this installation?

Thanks...

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
What dealership are you going to use/ Thinking about the same mod later in the year. Let me know what you find out. Thanks

-Bry

·
Registered
214 Posts
I had my 28t installed at the dealer for ~$275. They kept the bike all day and did the fuel flange recall at the same time. Not sure how much more it would cost with chrome pulley.

Leon

·
V-Rod Addict
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
$275 seems expensive considering the amount of time it takes to change the pulley. Or does it really take 3-4 hours to change?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Why not buy a jack for about $100.00 from Sears. Spend an afternoon getting to know your bike, you'll have more money for the next mods!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'll let you know soon as I am having a 28T installed. My mech got the HD kit for about $120. He charges $40 an hour so I guess the job will be an hour to an hour and a half.

My Mech (Mechanic) is a guy who has his own shop and has been around longer than our local HD dealer. He has a certified VRod Mech in his shop and I trust him. The dealer charges $90 an hour, Campbell's Harley, in Marion, IL. My guy gets original HD parts about 20% less than the retail cost you see in the HD catalog.

He owns and operarates Double "D" Cycles in Marion, IL (618) 997-3614, his name is Daryl Drydon. He sells Big Dog Cycles and has a number of used Harleys.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I dunno. I know it would probably take me a lot longer. And I don't have a clue as to how to re-calibrate the speedometer. Besides, I would hate myself if I forgot something in the process only to find out the hard way while riding.

·
I seek only water...
1,029 Posts
I gotta agree with jlbait -- $100 or less for a lift and get to know the bike.
Prior to working on the 'Rod, the last time I had wrenched on anything was constructing a gallows with my erector set so I could hang my G.I. Joe.:D
Seriously, swapping out the pulleys are a piece of cake. Monster Max posted an easy how-to that I followed when I switched to the 28T. (I could switch back to the 30T in about 15 min.s, no sweat) -- and taking off the rear wheel and popping off the rear pulley is a no brainer. Buying a service manual is also a good investment to make sure you don' t screw it up.
You can purchase the ECM recalibration for the speedo from HD -- OR ride it knowing there is a 7% error. It doesn't hurt the performance of the bike or the bike itself.

·
V-Rod Addict
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought with the HD 28T kit you have to use a special tool to do the job. I heard it's not the same as using one of the 28Tooth's from the aftermarket.

·
I seek only water...
1,029 Posts
Joe, that's why I chose to go with a TurboTech 28T. Simple swap -- kept the stocke belt and didn't worry about any "special tool."

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Joe

My dealer said he hasn't done one yet but he said it books out at 2 hours. He said since its the first he would do it free :D But he would also like a new thermostat and some other work for the shop :rolleyes: Sometimes its cheaper to pay them. They charge $60 per hour

·
Registered
126 Posts
Dealer here said .75 hr for pully change [28t] and only charged me 225$ for drag bars, clutch and master , switch housings change......60$ per hour

·
O-FNG
321 Posts
My local HD dealer charged $105 labor (about 1.5 hours) for the 28T change (not including the kit). The TurboTech 28T is definetly a DIY job, but I heard that the TurboTec went "out of round" on one bike. Plus, if you end up needing the new belt with the TT, you are about equal with the HD kit with dealer install. For the $105, I'd rather not have any warranty issues.

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
The dealer isn't charging me anything for the mods,because I am gonna do them myself :diablo: :ride:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts