Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
aka shudude
Joined
·
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got my bike back last night after being in the shop for more than a week and I was stoked. On the way home from the dealer I noticed a faint rubbing sound but it was intermittent so I didn't think much off it. It's not that far from the dealer to my house, so I didn't ride very long. This morning I went to go for a ride and I noticed that my belt was sagging down below the belt guard and I thought WTF???? I put the bike up on the lift and had to tighten the belt and when I went to unscrew the rear axle bolt I found the tech didn't even torque the damn thing and it easily twisted off :bash: I found that the belt pulled forward because of this. I tightened the belt, but I 've never done this before so I'm not sure how tight to make it. I get the belt fixed and Mrs shoe and I go for a ride to lunch, and on the way there I start to notice that the bike is difficult to turn right. I slow down pulling into the restaurant and as I turn right in a parking space the bike feels like its fighting me to turn, pulling against me and I start to loose it as it lurches, my wife tries to help me keep the bike upright and slips off (banging her knee up) I managed to keep the bike up and get it parked (jump off and help my wife). Then looking at the bike I notice that the tech routed the clutch tube out around the frame when he put the new radiator in and thus causing it the be short and pulling against me in a right turn. :banghead: [email protected] it!, this is the second time this dealer left critical stuff undone!! I went to them because they were the closest to me, since my leaky radiator couldn't make it my regular shop. I told the mngr about my past problem with his shop and he swore that they had new techs there that were better. I'm pissed that my wife got hurt and pissed that once again I got screwed at my local dealership after they swore they would take better care of me this time. Should I go back and have them re-check critical bolts (dont really want to) or just write them off and go somewhere else? I know I'm going to call them at least and let the mngr know what happened. :soapbox:
Sorry for the rant, but I'm really kinda ticked off right now.
Shoe
 

·
The Heavycycles Guy
Joined
·
6,785 Posts
holy crap! that is way out of line... what moron leaves the rear axle bolt loose??!?! I can somewhat see rerouting a line the wrong way, but not the rear axle... and wtf were they even doing back there during a radiator change?

what about during the test ride, or did they forget to do that too?

I would be ripping pissed.

crap like this is why I do all my own wrenching... nobody treats your stuff like it's your own.
 

·
aka shudude
Joined
·
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DrHeathenScum said:
holy crap! that is way out of line... what moron leaves the rear axle bolt loose??!?! I can somewhat see rerouting a line the wrong way, but not the rear axle... and wtf were they even doing back there during a radiator change?

what about during the test ride, or did they forget to do that too?

I would be ripping pissed.

crap like this is why I do all my own wrenching... nobody treats your stuff like it's your own.
They also did the valve lash, so I guess they did that when they took the engine out?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
shudude said:
Well I got my bike back last night after being in the shop for more than a week and I was stoked. On the way home from the dealer I noticed a faint rubbing sound but it was intermittent so I didn't think much off it. It's not that far from the dealer to my house, so I didn't ride very long. This morning I went to go for a ride and I noticed that my belt was sagging down below the belt guard and I thought WTF???? I put the bike up on the lift and had to tighten the belt and when I went to unscrew the rear axle bolt I found the tech didn't even torque the damn thing and it easily twisted off :bash: I found that the belt pulled forward because of this. I tightened the belt, but I 've never done this before so I'm not sure how tight to make it. I get the belt fixed and Mrs shoe and I go for a ride to lunch, and on the way there I start to notice that the bike is difficult to turn right. I slow down pulling into the restaurant and as I turn right in a parking space the bike feels like its fighting me to turn, pulling against me and I start to loose it as it lurches, my wife tries to help me keep the bike upright and slips off (banging her knee up) I managed to keep the bike up and get it parked (jump off and help my wife). Then looking at the bike I notice that the tech routed the clutch tube out around the frame when he put the new radiator in and thus causing it the be short and pulling against me in a right turn. :banghead: [email protected] it!, this is the second time this dealer left critical stuff undone!! I went to them because they were the closest to me, since my leaky radiator couldn't make it my regular shop. I told the mngr about my past problem with his shop and he swore that they had new techs there that were better. I'm pissed that my wife got hurt and pissed that once again I got screwed at my local dealership after they swore they would take better care of me this time. Should I go back and have them re-check critical bolts (dont really want to) or just write them off and go somewhere else? I know I'm going to call them at least and let the mngr know what happened. :soapbox:
Sorry for the rant, but I'm really kinda ticked off right now.
Shoe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
I would not let them touch my bike after they have demonstrated their incomptence and blatant disregard for your safety. And it appears it is not the first experience with them.

I would seek some form of financial refund. You do not want them re-doing anything! They have most likely screwed up things you haven't even discovered yet, including the valve lash.

Find a shop that understands V-rods, get a quote for them to review the work done, and discuss a fair solution with the initial firm.

I would be willing to take a total loss before I would even consider taking my bike back there! Of course there are two sides to every story but this is over the top!

For the safety of other forum members please advise which dealer to avoid!
 

·
knit whit
Joined
·
1,413 Posts
I would let the service manager know what incompetant techs he has and take to a known reliable dealer. They screwed up twice they'll screw up again.
 

·
Sanctimonious
Joined
·
44,118 Posts
I have heard minor complaining before, Hell I have even done it, but loose wheels and restricted steering you should be giving someone HELL like never before. What Service Dept was this?
 

·
To boost or not??
Joined
·
1,916 Posts
That's BS I can't believe that, was hoping to get away from that kinda crap with the Harley. I've had similar experiences when I use to have my crotch rocket, wheels being mounted wrong, break calipers not tightened down, ect. Thats the point I bought the manual for it and started doing all my own work. Of course after alot of ranting a the service manager and a refund check for all the BS work they had "done".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,809 Posts
Yes go back and get some finiancial setitution from the dealer, but do not let them touch your bike!! Did they give you s worksheet showing you the specs of your valves and what they found. I bet you they didn't even take the valve covers off!!
 

·
Bike is for sale!
Joined
·
5,075 Posts
More and more we are hearing about awful service, and now this. That was just dangerous! We should have some of the forum guys who know what they are doing set up regional shops and just not go to HD for anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,107 Posts
widdlewunn said:
I would let the service manager know what incompetant techs he has and take to a known reliable dealer. They screwed up twice they'll screw up again.
I couldn't have said it better. Also, I'd seek some type of refund and never go back.
 

·
aka shudude
Joined
·
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
luxlamf said:
I have heard minor complaining before, Hell I have even done it, but loose wheels and restricted steering you should be giving someone HELL like never before. What Service Dept was this?
VALLEJO Harley Davidson :tmbsdow:

I usually take it to Michaels in Cotati, but like it posted, the radiator leak was getting pretty bad, so I opted to go the local shop.
 

·
I'm Bored
Joined
·
1,741 Posts
Dude, don't call the dealer; call a lawyer. I'd be in an attourney's office filing suit so fast they wouldn't know what hit 'em. I have no respect for dealers and here is just another reason why. Willie, are you listening? You better get your :stac: together brother. I see this more and more.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
15,036 Posts
shudude said:
Well I got my bike back last night after being in the shop for more than a week and I was stoked. On the way home from the dealer I noticed a faint rubbing sound but it was intermittent so I didn't think much off it. It's not that far from the dealer to my house, so I didn't ride very long. This morning I went to go for a ride and I noticed that my belt was sagging down below the belt guard and I thought WTF???? I put the bike up on the lift and had to tighten the belt and when I went to unscrew the rear axle bolt I found the tech didn't even torque the damn thing and it easily twisted off :bash: I found that the belt pulled forward because of this. I tightened the belt, but I 've never done this before so I'm not sure how tight to make it. I get the belt fixed and Mrs shoe and I go for a ride to lunch, and on the way there I start to notice that the bike is difficult to turn right. I slow down pulling into the restaurant and as I turn right in a parking space the bike feels like its fighting me to turn, pulling against me and I start to loose it as it lurches, my wife tries to help me keep the bike upright and slips off (banging her knee up) I managed to keep the bike up and get it parked (jump off and help my wife). Then looking at the bike I notice that the tech routed the clutch tube out around the frame when he put the new radiator in and thus causing it the be short and pulling against me in a right turn. :banghead: [email protected] it!, this is the second time this dealer left critical stuff undone!! I went to them because they were the closest to me, since my leaky radiator couldn't make it my regular shop. I told the mngr about my past problem with his shop and he swore that they had new techs there that were better. I'm pissed that my wife got hurt and pissed that once again I got screwed at my local dealership after they swore they would take better care of me this time. Should I go back and have them re-check critical bolts (dont really want to) or just write them off and go somewhere else? I know I'm going to call them at least and let the mngr know what happened. :soapbox:
Sorry for the rant, but I'm really kinda ticked off right now.
Shoe
Damn, did they at least cram a bunch of free :cook down your neck?
 

·
aka shudude
Joined
·
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cheatin said:
Damn, did they at least cram a bunch of free :cook down your neck?
Y'know Cheatin, I expect a certain amount of free :cook at the dealership. I absolutely expect safety stuff to be taken care of though.
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Top