Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my bike practically new last Fall, 08. I see that the Service Bulletin was issued in Jan of 08. If my bike was sitting at the dealership when that Bulletin was issued, should they have replaced that nut with the kit before selling it to me??

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
I bought my bike practically new last Fall, 08. I see that the Service Bulletin was issued in Jan of 08. If my bike was sitting at the dealership when that Bulletin was issued, should they have replaced that nut with the kit before selling it to me??
You can just unscrew the cap by hand and look and see if they did
the new nut has a built in flange.

·
Guitar, not Gator
8,049 Posts
Probably not. Unlike recalls, Service Bulletins only get "fixed" if you complain.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
I'm complaining.

If memory serves, didn't you have to play around with the fall-away nut and not the top nut?

No the new top nut and a higher torque spec are the fix.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Yours is an R, so I don't know if it's somethign different or not. On mine it was just the nut and higher torque, nothign needed to be done with that star except the adjustment of the fall-away, but it wasnt any different than usual. Except I insisted he make it tighter than spec when he did it

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
The 'star' nut will seat in the threads a bit when you tighten the top nut; that's why you will need to check your fall-away after torquing. I find that if I set my fall-away to the loose end of the scale, then torque, the fall-away ends up at the tight end of the scale, right where I want it. But, that's on my bike. And I've changed to a steel stem and torque to 80 foot-pounds.

I'd be willing to place a small wager on whether your dealer voluntarily applied the bulletin fix to your bike before you bought it.

·
Guitar, not Gator
8,049 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
The new nut isn’t needed for models with a steel steering stem. All 2008 VRSC models have steel steering stems. There’s an update for the M-1215 Service Bulletin (M-1215B dated Jan 29, 2208) that specifically states that 2008 VRSC models don’t need the new nut and aren’t covered by this SB.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Stever975. I'm ordering AW triple tree's for my A. Can I use the old bearings with the steel stem? Or would you change to new bearings as well?

·
Registered
922 Posts
:banghead:, sorry Johnny. I don't have the new nut on mine either yet. I was going to do some mods this winter (AW triples) and was thinking of skipping the whole upgraded nut thing and just going to the steel stem. Didn't realize it was an R thread.

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
Stever975. I'm ordering AW triple tree's for my A. Can I use the old bearings with the steel stem? Or would you change to new bearings as well?
Bearings are the same for all models but I’d check to see if they look OK. Some have found that these are not packed well and were rusted.

HD only sells the bearings with the cup as a kit, 48300-60, since both should be replaced if one or the other is bad.

You can also get these from other bearing sources like Kamen Industrial Technologies. The kit (bearing and cup) is Timken PN L44643 90035 (Kamen # L44643#90035).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts