Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been posted before. Can a SERT be used on more than one bike or does it get "married" after the first use? I just realized the #01H SERT would work for my air head and my rod.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
No it cannot. The black box gets married to the ECM it initially programs. You can do a data log on both but not program.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
o2man98 said:
No it cannot. The black box gets married to the ECM it initially programs. You can do a data log on both but not program.
thanks!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I also found out that if anyone other than HD does the tune/map your warranty is voided. At least according to Hacienda HD in AZ.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
PHXDX said:
I also found out that if anyone other than HD does the tune/map your warranty is voided. At least according to Hacienda HD in AZ.

You mean the warranty on your ECM correct. They can't void the warranty on your bike because you flash the ecm.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
And they can't condition ANY warranty on the dealer doing the work, unless that dealer performs the work for free.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
Max said:
You mean the warranty on your ECM correct. They can't void the warranty on your bike because you flash the ecm.

any pipe mod or change, air box mod, map downloads, fuel management, ect is all considered "racing" equipment and CAN void the warranty on ALL makes. It is really up to the dealer and how he chooses to handle an issue.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
traktime said:
any pipe mod or change, air box mod, map downloads, fuel management, ect is all considered "racing" equipment and CAN void the warranty on ALL makes. It is really up to the dealer and how he chooses to handle an issue.
No, it can't. The modification has to be the cause of the failure in order to void the warranty. If you change your pipes and the fuel pump fails, it'll still be covered under warranty.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
rjrivero said:
No, it can't. The modification has to be the cause of the failure in order to void the warranty. If you change your pipes and the fuel pump fails, it'll still be covered under warranty.

again it's all up to the dealer, period! Straight from the horses mouth. A pipe or air box mod need not be the reason for a specific failure but if they deem you were racing / abusing the bike than YES you can easily be shit out of luck. They have some ability via the computer to gauge how the bike was rode.
Pipes, air mods and "race" tuners are installed for what reason? They know the answer. It's probably unlikely they would screw you hard but the possibility absolutely exists.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
traktime said:
again it's all up to the dealer, period! Straight from the horses mouth. A pipe or air box mod need not be the reason for a specific failure but if they deem you were racing / abusing the bike than YES you can easily be shit out of luck. They have some ability via the computer to gauge how the bike was rode.
Pipes, air mods and "race" tuners are installed for what reason? They know the answer. It's probably unlikely they would screw you hard but the possibility absolutely exists.
They can with the owners permission access data on 07 and 08 models that tells them riding habits of the rider. Note with the owners permission and I say this because I have talked with a couple of engineers about this very thing. If you change a pipe and the fuel pump fails or a tps sensor fails a dealer can try to deny the claim based on the pipe but they better watch out because a customer that knows the law will be hanging his name on the dealers sign if he hooks up with a good attorney. A dealer cannot force you to do anything in his shop and threats that you must install this or that with the dealer is just illegal.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
This link is a good read to understand what a manufacturer can or can not do.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/warranty.shtm

Now, the dealer is your first line of defense in a warranty claim so it pays to keep them on your side whenever possible. Only a really stupid dealer will dismiss a claim out of hand simply because they "think" there may be an issue. As Max said, if they try to pull the, "you didn't buy it / get it installed here" threat then they have broken federal law and a simple, calm reminder of that fact may be all you need to move your claim along.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
mjw930 said:
This link is a good read to understand what a manufacturer can or can not do.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/warranty.shtm

Now, the dealer is your first line of defense in a warranty claim so it pays to keep them on your side whenever possible. Only a really stupid dealer will dismiss a claim out of hand simply because they "think" there may be an issue. As Max said, if they try to pull the, "you didn't buy it / get it installed here" threat then they have broken federal law and a simple, calm reminder of that fact may be all you need to move your claim along.
I agree with you and Max as well, but in the end, the dealer does need to get paid from Harley. Most want satisfied customers and again I feel it's unlikely regarding this issue, however, it does happen.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
traktime said:
I agree you and Max as well, but in the end, the dealer does need to get paid from Harley. Most want satisfied customers and again I feel it's unlikely regarding this issue, however, it does happen.

It happens because of dishonest, ill-informed dealerships and employees. You hit it on the dot with the comment of getting paid by Harley. If they refused warranty work they get no check. I know myself and many other people will only allow them to work on our bikes for warranty work, otherwise I spin the wrenches.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts