Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
I'm Bored
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever see this screen before? The SERT reads the ECM info with no problem and the data logging in data mode works perfectly but it will not let me program it for some reason. The map is the correct format ( I can't even load one of the maps off of the SERT software, let alone my turbo map), the cables work fine, the battery is up, I have already pulled the maxi fuse to reset it, the SERT was manufactured in June 2007 so it's new.......I'm stumped! Bike is an '06 SE that I just installed a turbo on. I've loaded lots of maps but I've never seen this screen before. Help!

Attachments

·
WHATEVER
3,739 Posts
Turn everything off, restart the program, remove maxifuse, reinstall, check all cable connections and try again that worked for me!

·
Thread Killer
4,567 Posts
Did you have both the ignition and the run switch on? That is the only thing I can think of.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Yup. Are you using a USB to serial connector? Your communication port is most likely writing to the ECM at too high a speed.

·
I'm Bored
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RODent said:
Yup. Are you using a USB to serial connector? Your communication port is most likely writing to the ECM at too high a speed.
Thanks for all the help guys. I pretty much tried all of those before I posted but I did go back and try them all again without any luck. Rodent, I would agree with you as I am using the USB/Serial adapter as a possible problem but it programs the map on my own bike without any problem at all. I believe the problem to be specific to this bike's ECM or harness unless I'm really missing the boat.

·
Thread Killer
4,567 Posts
Never had any problems with mine, so that is new to me.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Have you used the SERT adapter on this bike before or is it new? I have seen this error 2 times and it was always due to a USB to Serial adapter. I was told it was either USB was not applying enough voltage to the serial bus or comm speed.

·
Noel
4,611 Posts
sgtrage said:
..........I am using the USB/Serial adapter as a possible problem but it programs the map on my ----own bike------ without any problem at all. I believe the problem to be specific to -----this bike's----- ECM or harness unless I'm really missing the boat.
The adapter as mated to the first bike it saw since purchase, "OWN BIKE", is -THIS BIKE- another in your stable or a buddies?

·
I'm Bored
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I finally got it loaded. I was using my personal laptop which is running Vista basic and I never could get it to load although it loads the map fine on my own bike. I loaded the SERT software on the work laptop which is running Windows XP and it loaded the map up just fine. So I really have no idea what happened but I can tell you that I hate Vista more and more every day!

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Most serial to usb adaptors aren't compatible with Vista. I'm looking at buying one soon.

·
I'm Bored
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rjrivero said:
Most serial to usb adaptors aren't compatible with Vista. I'm looking at buying one soon.
Yeah but the weird thing is that it loaded the map on my '03 just fine but I tried everything and couldn't get it to load the '06 bike's map. Oh well, it's done now.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Don't blame Vista.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Huh? Vista worked fine for me.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
It seems the older ECM's (pre-'05) will work with Vista but the newer ones won't. I think it has to do with the boot loader and a timing issue between the software and the interface.

Bottom line the Race Tuner IS NOT supported under Windows Vista PERIOD. Use it at your own risk........

If you absolutely must have Vista on the same machine you use to program your bike then I suggest setting it up for dual boot and have an image of XP on there too. http://www.windowstalk.org/dual_boot_vista.htm

·
Registered
519 Posts
mjw930 said:
It seems the older ECM's (pre-'05) will work with Vista but the newer ones won't. I think it has to do with the boot loader and a timing issue between the software and the interface.

Bottom line the Race Tuner IS NOT supported under Windows Vista PERIOD. Use it at your own risk........

If you absolutely must have Vista on the same machine you use to program your bike then I suggest setting it up for dual boot and have an image of XP on there too. http://www.windowstalk.org/dual_boot_vista.htm
I had abolutely no issue with Windows Vista using a communication port. Why do you say IS NOT supported? Now I would agree USB to Serial ports might be an issue due to voltage or timing or driver but I would not say Vista is an issue.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Not Supported and Not Working are 2 entirely different issues. I don't believe Harley had published that this is a Vista compatible application so any "strangeness" exhibited can and will be blamed on Vista. You may not like that answer but that's the way it works in Software Support. If you aren't running it on a supported platform you are on your own.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Again Mark, I am so glad I bounced this off you, Max, and Lonnie prior to sinking more money than I wanted to into a Laptop. There is no doubt I would have gotten the wrong system for my application.

I want the Laptop to be primarily dedicated to bike tuning, (did I just say that?) and to be able to do some remedial stuff with word processing, and DVD play. Now, I think I got the right system for the right job. I can't thank you guys enough for pointing me in the right direction. :notworth:

Now, Keep your phone on, cuz I have a feeling I'm gonna jack some stuff up getting familiar with this electronics voo-doo stuff.

·
Registered
519 Posts
mjw930 said:
Not Supported and Not Working are 2 entirely different issues. I don't believe Harley had published that this is a Vista compatible application so any "strangeness" exhibited can and will be blamed on Vista. You may not like that answer but that's the way it works in Software Support. If you aren't running it on a supported platform you are on your own.
Ahhh. Gotcha.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts