Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently bought an 08 night rod that has the 2into1 v&h indy series exhaust high flow air filter and either a sert or super tuner not sure which one the box is black how do you tell which one it is and does anybody have a map for this setup or can at least help me understand how to use the tuner im lost on this.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
The SERT leaves nothing on your bike. It only reprograms your ECM.

·
Wick
546 Posts
I have an 08 with SERT its in a white box, as far as I know the SEPT is the newer version of the SERT, both only reprogram the ECM.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im thinking what i have is the super tuner and thats about all i understand of it the guy i got the bike from could have saved a little bit of money and bought the power commander instead which is a little more user friendly if anybody could help me with setting up a descent map for what mods i have done to give me starting point for the smart tune would be greatly apreciated

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just got an 2008 with a super tuner and have been emailing the dealer to check for a manual that may go with...

·
Wick
546 Posts
Did the SEPT come with a disc my SERT has one load it on your computer it may help you.

·
Back to the dark...
18 Posts
Does this picture help you decide (the current SEPST VCI is orange with black logo but the shape, button, and LED are the same):

I've got the "orange" one along with my '11 VRSCDX... Glad to know it's the "SEPT" compared to the "SERT".. actually, I order this VCI together with the bike and all stage 1 stuff.. But the tuning is always done by my dealer... Shall I ask hi to give me the Software and any documentation along so that I could also connect the ECM to my computer ?... If not, What P/N shall I order ? Thanks for your help,
AL :banghead:

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
..... actually, I order this VCI together with the bike and all stage 1 stuff.. But the tuning is always done by my dealer... Shall I ask hi to give me the Software and any documentation along so that I could also connect the ECM to my computer ?... If not, What P/N shall I order ?...
What's "stage 1 stuff"?

Concerning asking for the software, I'm not sure what to say since I don't know what your skill level is. If you bought a SEPST (32109-08B) then you paid for the VCI only. The software CD is a separate part number (32111-11). You'll have to decide yourself if you paid for and/or if you want the software. If you don't have this CD you won't be able to get the "on-line" updates either.

To connect the VCI to your bike you will also need a cable kit (part number 32184-08A). You should check your invoices to see if you paid for this also and if so, ask for the cables as well as the software.

·
Back to the dark...
18 Posts
Stage 1 stuff : I meant the SuperTrapp exhaust, Screaming Eagle air filter, and the associated map downloaded to the ECM through the SEPT VCI....
I'm sure now I only bought the VCI only (P/N 32109-08B, that's the one)... Thank you for your answers, it makes clear for me that I need to buy the CD and the cable. Shall I precise the year model of the bike (?)... or just need when I get the CD to download on-line the updates ?...

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
..Shall I precise the year model of the bike (?)... or just need when I get the CD to download on-line the updates ?...
The part numbers I posted are for all VRSC models. The software will look at your VIN (through the VCI) and decide what calibration files are correct for your bike. If you have the software and you're connected on line you'll be able to download software updates and the latest calibration files.

·
Orange is cool!
118 Posts
Does anyone know if there are any actual differences between the 32109-08A and 32109-08B tuners besides the color?

I have read a bunch of information about the two and the most I can gather is that the orange VCI has the updated software on it and that the A model will be upgraded anyway when it is connected to the computer. So I was assuming that the two boxes were identical.

Now the confusing part... While at a local dealer this past weekend I asked the service tech about the differences between the 32109-08A and 32109-08B models. The service tech said that the 32109-08B model had some extra options that I wouldn't need and probably wouldn't even be able to understand if I wasn't a racer. I really had a hard time believing him since he didn't sound very confident.

Is there an actual difference?

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
Does anyone know if there are any actual differences between the 32109-08A and 32109-08B tuners besides the color? ...
This is a quote from page 29 of the 2011 SE Pro Racing Parts Catalog (available here):

"Now featuring improved electronics to enhance reliability and improve communication between the vehicle and the computer. A “choke” feature has been added to the circuit board, and the color of the Vehicle Communication Interface (VCI) box has been changed to orange to provide visible differentiation from the previous VCI."

I don't have one of these so I don't know what the "choke" feature is or what it does but the circuit board in the orange version is different than the one in the black version.

·
Orange is cool!
118 Posts
This is a quote from page 29 of the 2011 SE Pro Racing Parts Catalog (available here):

"Now featuring improved electronics to enhance reliability and improve communication between the vehicle and the computer. A “choke” feature has been added to the circuit board, and the color of the Vehicle Communication Interface (VCI) box has been changed to orange to provide visible differentiation from the previous VCI."

I don't have one of these so I don't know what the "choke" feature is or what it does but the circuit board in the orange version is different than the one in the black version.
Crap, missed that one in the Parts Catalog. Thanks stever!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts