Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
TURBONATOR
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been watching all the serious HP #'s being produced by Turbo and Supercharger, (foaming at the mouth BTW) I'm very impressed so far but this brings up some questions.
How are these motors holding up today being way North of 200 hp and not long ago it was to believe that anything North of 200 your motor is going South in a hurry? What is being done different?

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
there had been some v-rod motors have case failures but all those motors as far as i know where extremely large bore motors.. boring the cases for those large liners weakens the top of block.. another problem with the case at high hp levels is the cases spreading apart under load at the main bearing saddles.. this causes a loss of oil pressure and spun bearings or connecting rod failures.. that problem can be handled with heavy duty studs and a well designed stud girdle..once strength modifications are completed i believe really serious hp can be made, of course an improper tune up can destroy any motor..

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
if i had to predict a number i would say in the next year or two hp numbers in the mid 300`s will become a reality..

·
TURBONATOR
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree. I just wish I could get there NA.
Ken, that would be cool if that was possible. It would be one hell of a sleeper.

My own personal problem is winter coming soon and I get to thinking to much and when I get a idea in my head of what I want to do then I cant get it out of my head until I have it.
This is going to be a very hard winter on me, I can see it coming........I MUST RESIST that never really helped saying that either, I'm going to be in so much trouble this winter :spank: LOL

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
there had been some v-rod motors have case failures but all those motors as far as i know where extremely large bore motors.. boring the cases for those large liners weakens the top of block.. another problem with the case at high hp levels is the cases spreading apart under load at the main bearing saddles.. this causes a loss of oil pressure and spun bearings or connecting rod failures.. that problem can be handled with heavy duty studs and a well designed stud girdle..once strength modifications are completed i believe really serious hp can be made, of course an improper tune up can destroy any motor..
do you think the best motor for high boost is an 1130? I have a 1250 now (stock) and was thinking of getting a 1130 to build for high boost....

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
do you think the best motor for high boost is an 1130? I have a 1250 now (stock) and was thinking of getting a 1130 to build for high boost....
my only point was that the really big bores weaken the top case when they are bored for the big liners necessary.. if you stay stock bore even with the 1250 the upper case shouldn`t be a problem.. heavy head hold down bolts or studs ,, the bottom end tries to open at the main saddles with high hp.. heavy studs, girdle will help keep the main saddles from spreading..any thing that can be done to brace the cases should be done for really high hp.. and of course the tune up is critical as the hp rises..

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Is there anyway to weld material onto the case to strengthen it? What other options besides the girdle and new pan are there? Are there alot more spots for bolt on bracing?

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Is there anyway to weld material onto the case to strengthen it? What other options besides the girdle and new pan are there? Are there alot more spots for bolt on bracing?
welding enough material to make any difference on strength will cause the cases to move(warp) .i am sure some of the fixes will become available when they prove themselves.. HORSEPOWER has posted a big number and i hope he might share what strength modifications were made.. tim doherty has similiar hp at the present and is developing the necessary parts to keep it together at those hp levels, some of those parts may become available in the future..of course doing your own modifications and developing new parts could be fun..

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Im excited to finally see some much needed developments like this. Now what we need is to get one of these high hp motors out on the street, beat the piss out of it and see how long it lasts. :)

·
Autobanmod
9,893 Posts
I have been watching all the serious HP #'s being produced by Turbo and Supercharger, (foaming at the mouth BTW) I'm very impressed so far but this brings up some questions.
How are these motors holding up today being way North of 200 hp and not long ago it was to believe that anything North of 200 your motor is going South in a hurry? What is being done different?
Which of these conversions is beyond the prototype stage and has proven to last more than a quarter mile or a dyno session?

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
the doherty bike made several runs at bonneville with the best being 207+mph , tim and the guys tore it down to inspect parts and so far no problems... i hope HORSEPOWER keeps us up to date on his supercharged v-rod, i would bet they post a 300+hp before too long.. i know a really high hp v-rod is possible, just takes money , smarts and comitment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts