Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
2009 VRSCAW
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to fit the headers on my new Vance & Hines 2 into 1 for the past 4 hours and no matter how I try it simply won't go on. The directions say to start with the rear (without tightening) and then proceed to the front. I have done this over and over and cant get the front pipe to go in the exhaust opening. The pipe opening scrapes on the lower part of the exhaust port opening but will not go any further. Left some really nice scratches on the machined port opening below the exhaust flange stud but so far thankfully thats the only place that has gotten scratched.
I have tried raising, lowering, wiggling, and nothing works.
Does the front have to be forcibly shoved into place?
PLEASE somebody help if you can :notworth::notworth:

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
In my experience, "starting from the back" usually refers to tightening the bolts and is the best way for this bike.
I might suggest getting the headers in the ports anyway you can, install collector and then tighten from the rear and up.

·
2009 VRSCAW
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Vambo.
Unfortunately getting the headers into the ports is the problem. Its like the pipes aren't spread wide enough to allow them to slip into place. I've had these things a grand total of 10 hours and regret my decision to switch from factory already.
Who would have thought installing a freakin' exhaust would have been this frustrating?

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
all 2 to 1's are a bitch, the first time i pried it on with a 2"by4".
I was worried about damaging something and at the end it was either her, or me

·
2009 VRSCAW
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Santeg.
Well I'm gonna give up on it for now because I am really really frustrated and angry. I have spent almost 7 hours trying to get headers on which makes me sick.
If anybody else has a suggestion I would appreciate it immensely.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
I always put mine on when I had that set up with the front in 1st and had to pull and twist the rear into place...

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Which model?

17555? Or 17553? or is it the "competition" drag pipe?

I ask, cause it looks like the 17555 will fit a 2010 NRS and I'm getting ready to order the 17555 for mine as I'm tired of heat shield screws falling out (and lower heat shields bouncing down the road) and mounts breaking off the OEM 3rd Volume/Collector.

All these 2:1's where both header pipes are welded together (versus using the 08-& older collector style with the H-Clamp) are gonna be a bitch to get on (especially without scratching something).

PLEASE which pipe and how this worked out for you.

I have a NEW OEM Collector out being ceramic coated for install (warranty) next week, and I'm really considering this 17555 ($389 at powersportsuperstore.com)

But before I actually order it and pay for it to be ceramic coated black, love to see what this was, and how it worked out for you.

I suspect you got the 2:1 as pictured, as the competition series is 2 piece headers into collector/muffler.

This is an exercise in "angularity", as you need to come into the motor at just the right "approach vector", and swing the pipes into position to get them on. You might even end up having to remove the righthand side exhaust studs to get "past" them, then lay the pipe down and re-install the studs. This one is a PITA to get on, as the install instructions want you to pre-mount the heat shields (yah, good luck not scratching THEM too - cover with blue masking tape)

Again, PLEASE CHECK BACK IN and let us (ME!) know how this went for you.

Rick

(this is one I may just let the stealership do for me, though my service manager wants me to move my toolbox into a bay and start working on VRSC's for HIM - since he claims I know them better than anyone else in the shop, and actually LOVE to work on them)

·
2009 VRSCAW
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Howdy Rick!
It is indeed the 17553.
I am not a happy camper. I finally got it on and SURPRISE the ends of the pipe don't seat far enough to start the nuts on the exhaust studs.
This is completely ridiculous. I have built two custom HD's from the ground up and have NEVER had as much problem with anything as this pipe.
Looks like a call into Vance and Hines to see what the hell I'm supposed to do now.

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
You might have to go back to the 08 exhaust gaskets. I recall seeing somewhere that these were a necessary "downgrade" for certain full header systems on 09 or newer bikes.

Good thing (well for me maybe), you started this thread - I was about to order the 17555 system today.

There were no material changes to the heads, so this is gonna turn out to be some random (but hopefully documented by V&H) install "weirdness".

Keep us posted.

Rick

·
2009 VRSCAW
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I ended up having to take it back off. The guys at Vance and Hines said to try to replace the exhaust gaskets again.
If anyone who is running this exhaust can give me some helpful hints on how they installed it without messing up the gaskets or going completely apesh*t I would love to hear from you.
For the record, their tech guys laughed and said they had a difficult time putting this thing on. I asked them for helpful tips and they just said "two people and lots of pulling".

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Yeah, I spoke with Ryan over there today.

The only part that changed in that setup (OEM) was the exhaust gasket.

I ordered the 17555 today - at $389 shipped, can't really go wrong, even if if have to get my exhaust guy to "revise" the design. If you can get the right side exhaust studs out, it might make it easier to maneuver the headers into position. Get the pipes over the ports, reinstall the studs, get the clamps over both studs, get the left hand nuts started a couple if threads, rock the pipes gently to seat in the ports/gasket - get the right side nut started - tighten down the mounting point at the collector (finger tight for positioning), then tighten down the exhaust flange nuts, collector mount and finally muffler (working front to rear). I'd get the left rear tight first, then go for the rest. Usually you need to get the front header in position, then rotate the rear in - hence the 2-man job - making sure the front stays in place while you get the rear up.

Can also surmise by the change in pipe & gasket in 09 (and again in '10), that the pipe fitting to head is going to require the 08 exhaust gasket (p/n:65109-01). Head part number (in my '10 book) is an '08 suffix.

Did the 02 sensors fit OK? They changed from 27703-08 (X2) to one of the '03's and one of the 27683-07 (front). the 27703's have a longer cable, same connector. Harness point in 07/08 was further up the frame (versus under the left side rad cover in 09/10).

My pipes should be in next week, off to be ceramic coated, then on by the end of the following week.

Post pics when yer finally done. I'm particularly interested in the clearance going by the swingarm pivot, as I need to clear my Rizoma rearset. From the photos in the instructions, it should just fit.

Have the Rizoma's at their lowest position, can move them up 1.5"'s if need be. Like this setup alot more than the SuperTrapp. V&H has got to sound better than ST, and the sportbike-like oval slash-cut should look badass.

Rick

·
2009 VRSCAW
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rick,
Man I truly wish you have better luck than I did. I am almost dreading the arrival of the exhaust gaskets because I am not looking forward to trying to wrestle this thig on again.
As far as removing the exhaust stud, I don't think your gonna have to worry about doing that as the pipes aren't wide enough to approach the exhaust port that high up. The guys from V&H said they engineered the pipes to be a really tight fit so you kinda have to go in from the bottom and then leverage it in place.
This time around I ordered several sets of gaskets and if I have the same problems I'm just gonna take it to the shop and have them install it.

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
I used a baseball bat. Like a big lever, and on it went. Then used a belt clamp to squeeze a bit to get the flanges started to bolt it on. Joe

·
Captain DeadPool
660 Posts
is it the VH Indy pipe...i did the install on mine in about 2 hours....i wasn't rushing....i also did the the front pipe first...the biggest problem i had was (a) getting the one piece stock front pipe off of mine and (b) putting the collector, the part with the baffle and springs on....almost forgot about the o2 sensors be for i found out they have a quick disconnect

·
2009 VRSCAW
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I used a baseball bat. Like a big lever, and on it went. Then used a belt clamp to squeeze a bit to get the flanges started to bolt it on. Joe
CPTJAM,
Thanks for the tip! I'm assuming you put the back in first? If so did you put the exhaust flange and bolts back on before trying to leverage the front in place?
Also, could you please elaborate on "belt clamp"? Is this a tool I can buy or something you rigged up?
Thanks again man!

Bad Dog,
Thanks for chiming in.
This is a different pipe than the Indy. One piece header and no springs.

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
CPTJAM,
Thanks for the tip! I'm assuming you put the back in first? If so did you put the exhaust flange and bolts back on before trying to leverage the front in place?
Also, could you please elaborate on "belt clamp"? Is this a tool I can buy or something you rigged up?
Thanks again man!

Bad Dog,
Thanks for chiming in.
This is a different pipe than the Indy. One piece header and no springs.
Belt Clamp = Ratchet Tie Down Strap (most likely), or something similar.

The OEM exhaust, with the front header attached to the collector is a PITA too - I've had mine on & off about 6 times already.

From the looks of the exhaust port side of these pipes, the "mating area" on the pipe looks a little thicker - think the '08 gaskets might be part of the "magic" in getting these on.

Since the dealership "owes me" a warranty R&R to replace my collector (with all the heat shield mounts pretty much broken off anyway), methinks I'm gonna order a set of 08 gaskets and let THEM put in on for me.

Since I have so much custom stuff on my bike (and the service manager is a friend outside of work), I'm usually back in the shop with them while they're working on my bike ANYWAY - so we'll have a 1/2 dozen sets of hands when it comes time to get mine on.

I'm as concerned about the finish on the pipes/heat shields, as I'm having mine 2-stage ceramic coated "blacked out".

Keep us posted on how it goes...

POST PICS WHEN YOU'RE FINISHED!

Rick

·
2009 VRSCAW
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rick,
Are the 08' gaskets thinner? The exhaust end of the pipe would fit expetionally well inside the exhaust port. If the 08 gaskets are thinner then it would allow the ends to sink a bit further in and give the room needed to install the nuts on the studs.
From what V&H told me, the only real difference in gaskets throughout the years is a slightly different inner taper on the seals themselves and the 09' and up are definitely one time use only.

·
It's Only Money
1,321 Posts
Wow. It has been a while since I installed my 2n1 on the B, but I can't remember this much pain and suffering. I think it went on (after I got the stocker off) in about 90 minutes. The biggest hassel I had was with where the thing became 2 into 1. The headers slipped right into place on the exhaust ports. The install ease was one of the really cool parts of the deal. I lvoe the pipe and it has been on for 4 years and still looks new and sounds great. Sorry for your difficulty.

·
2009 VRSCAW
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow. It has been a while since I installed my 2n1 on the B, but I can't remember this much pain and suffering. I think it went on (after I got the stocker off) in about 90 minutes. The biggest hassel I had was with where the thing became 2 into 1. The headers slipped right into place on the exhaust ports. The install ease was one of the really cool parts of the deal. I lvoe the pipe and it has been on for 4 years and still looks new and sounds great. Sorry for your difficulty.
Thanks for the input.
When you installed yours were you able to place the rear pipe opening over the exhaust port and then get the front in place without pulling, prying, or other trick. Also, did the ends of the pipe sit flush with the exhaust port or did they sink inside the hole slightly?
Any information you can remember about how you did yours would be awesome.

I ordered 3 sets of 09' gaskets and 3 sets of 08' gaskets so if one doesn't work I'll try the other.

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Rick,
Are the 08' gaskets thinner? The exhaust end of the pipe would fit expetionally well inside the exhaust port. If the 08 gaskets are thinner then it would allow the ends to sink a bit further in and give the room needed to install the nuts on the studs.
From what V&H told me, the only real difference in gaskets throughout the years is a slightly different inner taper on the seals themselves and the 09' and up are definitely one time use only.
Had my pipes off and on at least 1/2 dozen times with the same gaskets. Believe the taper on the 08's make the 08 & older pipes sink in deeper. The sealing part on the 08-older pipes where they meet the gasket/port are slightly larger (I believe) than the newer pipes. Keep in mind, the 08-older pipes have separate pipes for the headers to collector. Newer pipes have the front pipe welded to the collector, as the H-Collar that mated the pipes to collector had "sealing issues" causing exhaust leaks at that point.

Gaskets were the same from 01-08, and changed on 09.

I'm ordering a set of 09's and 08's and we'll see which one works. You're obviously going to get yours ON, before mine even ARRIVE.

Rick

1 - 20 of 49 Posts