Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 07 night rod special and I'm thinking about putting either semi or fully synthetic in at my next oil change at 12000 miles,just wondering if anyone can recommend a particular brand and where the best place would be to buy it
cheers

·
Registered
962 Posts
you may open the floodgates , there are lots of different views on this in the UK , in the US Amsoil is way popular and is very good oil , and most report the bike runs better with smoother gear changes and runs cooler , but here in the UK its £80 for 5 qts

i'm running Amsoil now and you can only get it on the internet and to be honest the next time i change i will use Motul fully syn 7100

others are happy to run Halfords own brand semi or full , and report no issues with clutch slip , so in the end its your decesion me i'd rather run full syn and use motorcycle spec that is the correct base like "ester" like Motul / Silkolene

i'd stick to a 20-50 or 15-50 but thats me !

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
any full synthetic 20w50 motorcycle oil rated for wet clutch applications. Many if not most here use Amsoil, but I hear that's more rare than Nessy across the pond.
There's a couple JASO ratings that are key for the oil to have for our wet clutches. I do not remember them off hand, but I'm sure someone from Canada will chime in any second now with that knowledge.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
just use whatever you feel comfortable with, whether it be dino or synthetic in the appropriate weight for the bike and your local conditions.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys
amsoil would be my first choice if it wasn't so expensive,seems weird that somewhere like halfords don't sell the stuff,looks like it will be mobil 1, motul 300v or lucas 2 mmm eenie meenie minee mo?

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
bee careful with Lucas oil. They have a couple of synthetics that are NOT wet clutch compatible and a few that are. Make sure you read the labels.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have just changed my oil and put in fully synthetic. Get your oil from www.opieoils.co.uk (I have no connection with this company). Sign up for lots of offers incl free delivery. If you are a member of a club or forum (which you are), you get an additional discount.

I used Silkolene Comp 4 20w-50 Synthetic Ester Based 4-Stroke Engine Oil For High Performance Motorcycles -4 Litres @ £32 delivered.
SKU: SILCOMP420W50-4

Tech details http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/New-Fuchs-silkolene/COMP-4-RANGE.pdf

Kev

·
Registered
962 Posts
I have just changed my oil and put in fully synthetic. Get your oil from www.opieoils.co.uk (I have no connection with this company). Sign up for lots of offers incl free delivery. If you are a member of a club or forum (which you are), you get an additional discount.

I used Silkolene Comp 4 20w-50 Synthetic Ester Based 4-Stroke Engine Oil For High Performance Motorcycles -4 Litres @ £32 delivered.
SKU: SILCOMP420W50-4

Tech details http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/New-Fuchs-silkolene/COMP-4-RANGE.pdf

Kev
yeah good choice ! silkolene are just starting to promotoe the fact they use the best base syn "ester" dont think you could go wrong with this best base , good brand , and weight for the engine , i will prob go this route in 5-6k time ! £32 for this or £80 for amsoil no contest got to be the silkolene !

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just put an order away today for 8ltrs of motul 7100 100% synthetic-ester for a special price,i telephoned the order through as this forum was not on there list ( the guy gave me the 10% discount in the end) he said if someone in authority from this site could get in touch with him he will put 1130cc.com in with his list

·
Brush
107 Posts
I can recomend opie oils as well, quick delivery and good price. I am also runnng the Silkolene fully synthetic as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts