Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Great forum here! I've been lurking around for a while doing a lot of reading, tons of great stuff on here.

I took my MSF course two months ago, and bought a brand new Harley Sportster "Forty Eight." I absolutely fell in love with it when I saw it, and I've put around 2500 miles on it during the past two months (I try to ride every day I can). I've done the Stage 1 kit on it as well, and it's definitely a very fun bike to ride. Anyway, I've always loved the V-rod from day one. I didn't want to jump into it right away of course, but now that I've gotten rather comfortable on my Sportster, I've been itching to buy a Night Rod Special as a second bike.

Just curious what the biggest differences would be compared to my Forty-Eight. I know the extra 100 pounds or so is obvious, as well as the power, and I'm sure the Brembos are far superior to what I have on my Forty-Eight. I already have the forward controls and the riding position seems similar to the V-Rod.

I guess my main question is, would it be appropriate to be looking at a V-rod right now, or should I wait a while longer until I get some additional experience? I love my current bike, so I have no problem doing so. Just wanted to get some opinions. :ride:

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
600 Posts
I don't believe you will have any problem making the transition from a Sportster to the NRS. I know i didn't. Just don't underestimate the power of the VROD. It will sneak up on you if you are not paying attention. The brake on the NRS are 1000% better than the Sporty not to mention the anti lock capabilities. If the Sporty had decent brakes and antilock i believe new riders would have fewer accidents on them. I would say wait until this winter to buy a NRS but I see you are in Florida so you have no concept of what winter is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi All,

Great forum here! I've been lurking around for a while doing a lot of reading, tons of great stuff on here.

I took my MSF course two months ago, and bought a brand new Harley Sportster "Forty Eight." I absolutely fell in love with it when I saw it, and I've put around 2500 miles on it during the past two months (I try to ride every day I can). I've done the Stage 1 kit on it as well, and it's definitely a very fun bike to ride. Anyway, I've always loved the V-rod from day one. I didn't want to jump into it right away of course, but now that I've gotten rather comfortable on my Sportster, I've been itching to buy a Night Rod Special as a second bike.

Just curious what the biggest differences would be compared to my Forty-Eight. I know the extra 100 pounds or so is obvious, as well as the power, and I'm sure the Brembos are far superior to what I have on my Forty-Eight. I already have the forward controls and the riding position seems similar to the V-Rod.

I guess my main question is, would it be appropriate to be looking at a V-rod right now, or should I wait a while longer until I get some additional experience? I love my current bike, so I have no problem doing so. Just wanted to get some opinions. :ride:

Thanks in advance!
I had approx the same mileage on my Nightster when I swapped it out for the VRSCAW model.

A few things you'll notice-

-Heavier but deceptive you wont feel it til the bike tips over a certain amount then it'll rip right out of your hands.

-The front forks suck they sink in too much when using the front brakes, I would not recommend using the front brakes in very slow turning situations your more likely to drop. Some members use heavier oil in the forks but this doesn't really solve the issue.

-The raked out front end makes the bike much less agile then the fourty-eight, as long as you give yourself time to get used to it you should be fine. Slow turns are kind of difficult without turning wide - get on and try it out make sure your comfortable.

-The VRSCs are Far superior to the Nightster/Sportsters on the highway - I feel very confident and don't get pushed around while going 90+.

-The Brembos are far and beyond superior in stopping power no doubt.

-Engine on the VRSC is much much smoother and just a great motor all around. Far superior in pickup and passing - I've personally never had any issue with getting in trouble. I don't blip the throttle and I keep the RPMs around 4k-4.5 to get better mileage. The engine really shines at 5k+ tho pulls all the way to the redline in just about every gear.

-I consider the VRODs excellent road-trip type bikes rather then parking/city lot cruising bikes. It doesn't have the agility for city/shopping area cruising in my opinion.

-Not sure about the Night Rod but the VRSCAW doesn't sound like a Harley with its exhaust note. Its much quieter then my Nightster with the Screaming Eagle. I kind of like the quieter sound so I haven't bothered to do anything exhaust wise.

-Less support and accessories for the VRSC line of bikes. The motorco doesn't push these very hard (if at all) but they're still great great bikes.

Might as well go to the dealer and test ride one and see how it works out!

-dx

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Excellent points, thanks! Yep, I'm definitely planning to rent one for the day in the near future. Does it really take that much more effort to get them to lean into a turn (compared to the Sportster)? The 32 degree lean angle (same as my Sporty) is still impressive for a bike like that.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
I have a 2002 VRSCA, with Z BArs (Makes it closer to the DX set up) and the Gurlfriend has a 883 Iron Sportie. I Love riding that sportie because it feels like it weighs Nothing when I am slamming it around the canyons turns etc... The Mid controls and just the "Slimness" of it make for a very different ride, I like having the 2 "Different" bikes around to ride.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Excellent points, thanks! Yep, I'm definitely planning to rent one for the day in the near future. Does it really take that much more effort to get them to lean into a turn (compared to the Sportster)? The 32 degree lean angle (same as my Sporty) is still impressive for a bike like that.
Depends on how comfortable you feel. The vrod likes really drop over when you lean it into a turn - makes me nervous I'll drop it. It doesn't feel quite the same as a Forty-Eight would since your sitting right INSIDE the bike rather then right ontop. If your doing turns on the highway and such it really flows right into the turn no problems there. Its those slower sharp turns that make me a bit nervous since the bike likes to lean over so much due to most of the weight being on the low side of the bike. (By slow sharp turns I'm referring to parking lot and 10-20mph turns we have up here in the mountains.

The bike does feel very very stable tho. Only times I didn't think it felt that way was when I went on gravel roads and grooved roads. I find the front end seems to move too much perhaps since all the weight is in the back end of these bikes. Nightster felt better on these types of roads.

-dx

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
2ND Bike?????

Hi All,

Thanks in advance!
Behavior would be the biggest difference. By that I mean traditional Harleys are loaded with torque down low and come into their power range very quickly, then they are all but done! LOL!
The Revo has comparable torque but a bit later in the range and continues to produce HP and torque into the 8000rpm range or so with a red line of close to 10K. It cruises very nicely in the lower range and gets nasty really quick beyond. They are both hole shot machines but the V is made for it from top to bottom - a monster outta the hole. I'll warn you, the 48 will sit! :D

Depends on how comfortable you feel. The vrod likes really drop over when you lean it into a turn - makes me nervous I'll drop it. It doesn't feel quite the same as a Forty-Eight would since your sitting right INSIDE the bike rather then right ontop. If your doing turns on the highway and such it really flows right into the turn no problems there. Its those slower sharp turns that make me a bit nervous since the bike likes to lean over so much due to most of the weight being on the low side of the bike. (By slow sharp turns I'm referring to parking lot and 10-20mph turns we have up here in the mountains.

The bike does feel very very stable tho. Only times I didn't think it felt that way was when I went on gravel roads and grooved roads. I find the front end seems to move too much perhaps since all the weight is in the back end of these bikes. Nightster felt better on these types of roads.

-dx
Handling will need to be learned, it's long wheel base and rake are different if you are used to a short base and less rake, But once you figure out what the bike needs from YOU - it will handle like a dream.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like all that's left is to take one for a test ride and go from there. :moped:

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I wouldn't get a DX myself for the simple reason that everyone else has one.Plus the DX has to much of the same look as the sporty you have.
If I was going to get a V-Rod again,I'd get an 02,or an 03 real cheap and personalize like I did w the 03 I have now.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
I wouldn't get a DX myself for the simple reason that everyone else has one.Plus the DX has to much of the same look as the sporty you have.
If I was going to get a V-Rod again,I'd get an 02,or an 03 real cheap and personalize like I did w the 03 I have now.
LMFAO - The the A really is a "different" bike, instead of all black - all silver.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
LMFAO - The the A really is a "different" bike, instead of all black - all silver.
You missed my point.He already has a black bike.
The 02's and 03's can be had for next to nothing anymore,and it's easier to change the skins and colors around on the anodized bikes than it is to change the black ones.A wide wheel and tire looks better in the old bikes than the new ones.This mod is real easy to do with all the different parts availability today.By the time he gets an older V-Rod into the personalized look he wants,he should only be at around 10 grand.
I looked into getting rid of my 03 last week.Doing a quick wholesale movement I can get a little over 4 grand for it.If I sit on the bike for who knows how long,I'd be lucky to get 6 for it.My 07 X would have brought me a whopping $7800!
It's definitely a buyers market right now.

·
New but Old!
354 Posts
What bike isn't out there eventually that's any good? The DX might be the best selling and longest lasting V Rod but hardly mass produced, not by a long shot.
Whatever you buy just make it your own if you are hung-up on what the next guy rides.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have a sportster 1200C for about 2000 miles before I traded it for the DX, you will not have any problem with the transition. All the differences are for the better, specially at higher speeds, the falling away when leaning at lower speeds disappeared when I changed the tires(to avon). I have driven my sporty past 100mph and it gets spooky at about 115, the DX still feels really good at 125. I still have another sportster and drive both of them a lot, they are different but nothing that you can't handle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a sportster 1200C for about 2000 miles before I traded it for the DX, you will not have any problem with the transition. All the differences are for the better, specially at higher speeds, the falling away when leaning at lower speeds disappeared when I changed the tires(to avon). I have driven my sporty past 100mph and it gets spooky at about 115, the DX still feels really good at 125. I still have another sportster and drive both of them a lot, they are different but nothing that you can't handle.
I haven't changed the tires on my VRSCAW yet since I just got her early June. Nice to know that the ride would be more confident on Avons like other people have said in this forum. That's the only part on the bike I get nervous at low speeds.

As for the Nightster I completely agree - on the highway it was really out of its comfort zone at 80+. while the vrod I've taken to 80 without breaking a sweat and cranking her up to 100 without much issue if its not too windy. Nightster/Sportsters make good canyon carving and riding around bikes I didn't like taking mine on the highway if i had to go 80 or more it just wasn't fun.

-dx

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Good to know, thanks! Yeah, I agree, my Forty-Eight isn't the best bike over 80 or so. I typically have it at that speed, and sometimes a bit more. The low speed handling I'll just have to get used to I suppose. Just trying to rack up a few more miles on my Sporty before I tackle the V. Can't wait..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Time to bring back my thread from the dead... Took my Sporty in yesterday for its 5K service and finally took the plunge on the Nightrod as my loaner. Oh man, I'm in love. It handled better than I thought it would, especially coming from the Sporty. Road for the entire day, around 250 miles. This bike is so much more comfortable than my Forty-Eight and I got a heck of a lot of compliments while out with it yesterday. And it actually stops well, lol. Needless to say, I'm working out some numbers on a 2011 now. I didn't want to give it back yesterday. ;)

·
boo
5,211 Posts
why buy a new DX? you can get an 07-10 much cheaper - find one with low miles still under warranty.

·
boredom kills
2,324 Posts
the black and silver ones are faster

1 - 20 of 20 Posts