Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Chad 02 V-ROD
Joined
·
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I cut the inner baffles out of my exhaust now I understand it is hard to explain how to do. On the inner side that comes out of the headers I took a carbyte bit and grind the metal down thin so you can fold it inward because there is 2 tac welds that holds the baffle on this side that you can't get to.
On the end of the pipe I took a plasma and cut a circle as close to the factory exhaust hole then took the carbyte bit and started making the hole bigger a little at a time till it was big enough to slide the baffle out. The hard part is making the hole on the end of the pipe round because the end of the pipe is not really round. Will take some pics later today. :spank: :spank:
 

·
Chad 02 V-ROD
Joined
·
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh ya it sounds so much better. :hitit:
 

·
Todd
Joined
·
482 Posts
I made one hell of a mess doing mine :banghead: I just used a die grinder for the hole thing. Still pulling metal splinters out :rofl:
 

·
Chad 02 V-ROD
Joined
·
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
some pics of stock baffle

and end of pipes
 

Attachments

·
Chad 02 V-ROD
Joined
·
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
think I got this picture resize thing down

Baffle ends
 

Attachments

·
Fireman/investigator
Joined
·
1,965 Posts
Nice job, and thanks for posting the pics. It got the gears turning for me :)
 

·
Chad 02 V-ROD
Joined
·
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:dance: :dance: :dance:
 

·
V-ROD User
Joined
·
99 Posts
I have a set of stock slip-on and would like to mod them my self. Do you have more pics of how to do it. How do they sound? I was going to send them to v-mod but I would rather do it myself.
 

·
Flamed Rod
Joined
·
161 Posts
:helpme: Is that are they do to the pipes is take the center baffle out the pipes? They look totaly different on the v-mod website.. please let me know
 

·
Chad 02 V-ROD
Joined
·
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
crvte84 said:
:helpme: Is that are they do to the pipes is take the center baffle out the pipes? They look totaly different on the v-mod website.. please let me know
I think the pictures your looking at on v-mod are Screaming eagle 16 ga pipes that have been v-modded if i'm not mistaken. Which to me is buying screaming eagle then paying to get the bafles removed. I'm not that experienced on the v-rod mods yet but just get the stocker and v-mod it or send it to chopper [email protected] what I did is bought an extra stock set just in cause I messed mine up. You can get stock sets for $50.00 Thanks Chad
:kaz: :jeannie:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
What I read is the SE's that are moded are not as loud as stock moded. Also the stock moded produces a few more ponys. TIP: I found a set of stock pipes at the Harley dealer they where from a bike that got SE's and sold them to me for $50... The only time my ass was not sore leaving the Harley dealer.
 

·
Janitor of Anarchy
Joined
·
172 Posts
mvette said:
What I read is the SE's that are moded are not as loud as stock moded. Also the stock moded produces a few more ponys. TIP: I found a set of stock pipes at the Harley dealer they where from a bike that got SE's and sold them to me for $50... The only time my ass was not sore leaving the Harley dealer.
I'm trying to take all of this in...

Stock pipes vmodded make more hp than the SE pipes.
Stock pipes vmodded are louder than SE modded.

Geez, that could save me $600 if I vmod my stock pipes. Which flash p/n to use with self-modded stock pipes?

I planned on buying the TT or the 16g. If I joshed up my stock pipes trying, I wont lose anything. So anyone with a diy writeup on Onan-Modded stock pipes?

I'm still not clear as to how.
 

·
G'Day mate
Joined
·
175 Posts
Hey Chad,

Is there some sort of packing (fiberglass or similar?) inside the stock mufflers that can be pulled out? I thought I read in a post somewhere that you can remove some packing and it makes the stock muffler a little more throaty.

I'm plannin on getting a set of V-Mods soon, but thought this might be something simple I could do to the stockers in the meantime.

Thanks for any advice.
 

·
Chad 02 V-ROD
Joined
·
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Da-Smasha said:
Hey Chad,

Is there some sort of packing (fiberglass or similar?) inside the stock mufflers that can be pulled out? I thought I read in a post somewhere that you can remove some packing and it makes the stock muffler a little more throaty.

I'm plannin on getting a set of V-Mods soon, but thought this might be something simple I could do to the stockers in the meantime.

Thanks for any advice.
Just what you see in the pics above plus a lot of metal shavings just a few in my finger lol :cheers:
 

·
G'Day mate
Joined
·
175 Posts
Chad,

I dont see any packing, just the inner baffle that you have removed (nice job on the exit hole by the way, looks great!). So I take it there's no packing...

I'm not brave enough to try to remove the inner baffle myself - guess i'll just have to wait for the V-Mods.
 

·
Chad 02 V-ROD
Joined
·
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
G'Day mate
Joined
·
175 Posts
The method they used on that fantasieonwheels.com website looks very crude and unprofessional.

They talk about punching metal out with a screwdriver, drilling holes thru the side of the muffler etc.

Compare the pics of the result with how Chad's look - i know which ones i would prefer...
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Top