Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
COOLER RIDER
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know absolutely nothing about electronics but was wondering if it was possible to integrate a full time oxygen sniffer with a self adjusting race tuner that way everyone would have a perfect running bike. Maybe one day? Or would something like this cost the stealers too much in tuning charges? Or is it not feasible?

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
It's not possible with the current ECM but there is at least one company making a Delphi ECM replacement with this capablity, except it doesn't work on the V-Rod!

I assume there will be others or this company will make a V-Rod compatible one sooner or later but for now there's nothing available.

Oh, BTW, their full blown product it $1200 :broke:

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
Mark,
I can't wait for that ECM.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
They are right here in Daytona (about 40 miles away). I may have to pay them a visit Friday when I'm over that way for the Rolex 24.

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
Take pics of the race if ya can.
That system would just about eliminate the tuner guy.Just slap it up to the computer and see what needs what and then the fun begins.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
It looks promising. The setup is a bit cumbersome with welding the bungs on the exhaust and moving it from front to back to get the staggar measurement. Still, it's well worth it to be able to swap parts without having to go to a dyno. There is one other system on the market that works by taking AFR readings and modifying the output pulse to the injectors (like a PCIII with an O2 sensor). It's a piggyback system. I'll try and find the link.

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
I've seen the TEC system used a lot on hopped Porsche turbos. It seems to work very well but can get pricy when you add the fuel management.

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
Mark,
is that the link that Z16monte posted?

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Vinny,

Z16monte's link is to an automotive system.

The Harley EFI upgrade link is here: http://www.daytona-twintec.com/

There's one other system that monitors the AFR but I can't find the link. It's a piggyback system like the PCIII

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
I just thought there was more pages.I didn't have time at work during lunch to read through it.
Thanks,for that link again.I could remember what thread it was in from a week or 2 ago.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
I've run the Felpro F.A.S.T System and Now have Accel's Gen VII DFI System on my car's that does just about everything your describing.I thankfully Have great tuners to do that"tune it" for me also! :thumb:

·
Autobanmod
9,896 Posts
I have strong doubts that a tuned EFI system with a lambda probe would make any difference compared to a well tuned stock EFI system.
The lambda probes are mainly for emission control under partial load conditions. We have got a MAP sensor on the engine, what benefit do you expect from a higher advanced system which is designed for supercharged engines?

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Jan-Dirk,

I agree that properly configured the speed-density system on the V-Rod should work flawlessly but the big problem is getting the system configured. The process for correctly mapping the VE rations to the RPM and MAP settings are well beyond most motorcycle dyno shops. Additionally, most motorcycle dyno shops do not have the correct equipment to properly setup an EFI motorcycle for normal riding. They are great for WOT performance but as seen my many on this forum the rest of the power band is forgotten (<35 mpg cruising fuel economy etc.).

The perfect system would be either an enhanced Delphi system that allowed you to plug in an EGA and autoadjust the VE tables based on real world conditions. Once you had taken sufficent samples at each of the variable points (330 per cylinder or 660 total) the system would rewrite the VE tables. You then remove the probe and set the system into normal run mode. By setting up the AFR and timing tables for maximum performance and combining that with the calibrated VE tables the bike would run perfectly.

The next best thing would be to combine the dataloging capabilities of the Race Tuner with the output of a EGA probe. The resulting data could be crunched to find the areas where tuning was required and make suggested changes to the VE tables. You would load the changes in and do some more data logging. After a few cycles you should have the data points and the ending map file would be close to perfect.

Or, you can do like the rest of us do and go to a dyno shop, take about 10 data points and hope your tuner is sharp enough to extrapolate those into a full blown 660 point map.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts