Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
LEX MALLA LEX NULLA
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the slotted chrome and rubber custom foot pegs on the front and back of my 03 A model. Every time I ride more than 20 miles these things end up in the down position. I’ve looked, but there doesn’t seem to be any way to adjust the tension on the mounting bracket – which seems to be pretty strong actually. Never had this happen on any other bike I’ve ever owned. Has anybody else dealt with this annoying little problem? Thanks in advance for any tips on fixing this.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
That iseems to be a common complaint. Thats why I leave my stock pegs on the rear, they never fall.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
There is a little piece of spring steel wedged in there. Take it out and give it a little more bend (vice and pliers worked for me).

·
Bike is for sale!
5,075 Posts
Daniii said:
There is a little piece of spring steel wedged in there. Take it out and give it a little more bend (vice and pliers worked for me).
:stupid:

Give a little bend,

Side note does anyone know the size of the screw that holds on the rubber boot? Mine is stripped and needs to replace it.

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,171 Posts
Check out my gallery. You can see a close up of my rear pegs. I had the same problem. I got a chrome allen bolt and a chrome locking nut (just happen to have this stuff in my garage) and used that. Now you have to force them up or down - you can tighten the nut as tight or loose as you want it.

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Daniii said:
Same trick worked for me. No problems since.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
Daniii said:
beat me to it...

just arch that piece of metal a little more and that will give you more tension.

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
So I just need more cowbell...ah so

I bought new clips and I coulda had a V8!

OK....non-sequitur, but that's what can happen after a few beers LOL

·
Gotta Blast!
3,389 Posts
Agreed - more cowbell!!!

·
LEX MALLA LEX NULLA
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As usual, the forum members have come through - thanks for the info. Now I just need to replace my:stac: circlip pliers. Always Something.

dmlkm - I couldn't really see what you were describing in your photographs - but you have a great looking bike!

Firemedic - sorry, but I'm not very good at guessing the size of fasteners (especially metric). I'd probably tell you wrong.

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,171 Posts
KVD said:
As usual, the forum members have come through - thanks for the info. Now I just need to replace my:stac: circlip pliers. Always Something.

dmlkm - I couldn't really see what you were describing in your photographs - but you have a great looking bike!

Firemedic - sorry, but I'm not very good at guessing the size of fasteners (especially metric). I'd probably tell you wrong.
Take a look at this picture: http://www.1130cc.com/gallery/files/1/2/8/1/5/rod2_original.jpg
Look at the rear foot peg. I have a chrome allen bolt and locking nut. I can tighten/loosen the nut and get the feel I'm looking for. They never drop since I have the nut tight even using my hands to take down the passenger pegs takes some force.

·
TRANNY KILLER :)
14,572 Posts
Daniii said:

I've done this, and bent it so much it took a dead blow hammer to get the peg back in, and it still dropped down when ever it felt like it, almost immediately after the fix.....

·
Gotta Blast!
3,389 Posts
Johnny,

Are you sure you didn't bend it the wrong way?! ;)

·
LEX MALLA LEX NULLA
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
dmlkm said:
Take a look at this picture: http://www.1130cc.com/gallery/files/1/2/8/1/5/rod2_original.jpg
Look at the rear foot peg. I have a chrome allen bolt and locking nut. I can tighten/loosen the nut and get the feel I'm looking for. They never drop since I have the nut tight even using my hands to take down the passenger pegs takes some force.
Okay - I see it now. The Chrome allen bolt and locking nut take the place of the pin and circlip that secure the peg to the mounting bracket. Thanks! Once again, that is one good looking V-Rod.:notworth:

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,171 Posts
KVD said:
Okay - I see it now. The Chrome allen bolt and locking nut take the place of the pin and circlip that secure the peg to the mounting bracket. Thanks! Once again, that is one good looking V-Rod.:notworth:
Thanks for the compliment. I think it looks even better now that I got rid of the front fender and put a polished superbrace on it. Now that I think about it, I should take some pics and post since my wife and I just waxed it.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Jerry Shane's new (to him) Yamahammer sport cruiser has ball bearing detents that snap the pegs in position up (or down). Wonder when HD will think of that.....

·
Will Work For Mod $$
2,866 Posts
VrodG said:
Tie straps.... leave them loose enough so you can reuse them

Zip tie plastic straps you mean, right? That's what I have been using and it works well. Thin black tie with the chrome mounts and it's pretty hard to see.

The only one that moves is the exhaust side on mine and I found the problem (after living with it for over 2 years) only yesterday....The air inlet on my Smoothride shock was contacting the peg at full downward travel, causing the peg to drop. I angled out the peg a little and it eliminated the problem.

I always wondered why there were blemishes on the chrome peg, duh.......

·
Ricky Love MooreHead
1,440 Posts
dmlkm said:
Got ya, Thanks, Going for chrome bolts...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts