Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Vroddin' Madman
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my tires replaced this past weekend and the tech said that the rear axle was seized and couldn't be taken out. He was sure that he was going to have to destroy it and likely the bearings to get it out.

He called back and hour later and said after beating it with a sledge for 45 minutes it finally broke loose. He determined it hadn't been greased at the factory and was the cause for the problem.

It drove fine to the shop and rides great still now. Does anyone have any insight as to what this sounds like?? Max??

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Whitelighter, the rear axle shaft tends to get water in it and the bearings on the rear wheel seize to the axle. It can be a chore to get the two seperated. Make sure to assemble the rear axle with all the anti seize compound you can when you put them together and it will help to avoid this in the future.

Max

·
Vroddin' Madman
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What we did was applied a liberal coating white lithium to repel the water. Hopefully that will do the trick. I guess there is no real danger in having the bearings seize to the axle.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Whitelighter, no if the brgs seize on the axle it won't hurt you just makes it damn tough to get it apart for tires and other service.

Max

·
Registered
54 Posts
Whitelighter,

My axle was also locked on the bearings. The shop charged me for the replacement bearings ($40 if I remember correctly) and the labor to get the axle off. I was out of warrentee, but there was nothing I did to cause the problem, like Max wrote, they came that way from the factory.

You are not alone

·
Vroddin' Madman
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, it is nice to know that I have company but not in this case. This is the first issue I have had with the way this bike was put together. I am interested to see what it'll look like when I go to change the tires next time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts