Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what would cause my security light to come on when I try to start up. Everything seems to work just fine but can't start up. I've tried turning the security on and off with the fob but nothing happens. I really don't want to have to take it in if I can fix it myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
RICK
648 Posts
Try Your Other Fob. I Had Issues With One Of Mine. It Sounds Like Your Alarm Is Activated.

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
Did you do anything with your blinkers? Are all the bulbs good and making contact? I put LED bulbs in and this always triggers the light. Check your fault codes.

Re-reading your post...are you saying the bike won't start at all? Or is it just the light that won't go out?

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
RNTRACING said:
Try Your Other Fob. I Had Issues With One Of Mine. It Sounds Like Your Alarm Is Activated.

If the alarm is active and you attemtpt to start, the blinkers will flash...if you have the siren installed, you and your neighbors will know about it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't done anything other than ride before this happened. I have tried both fobs, put new batteries in both of them and still the same results, nothing!!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Do your blinkers flash when you use the key fob? That should tell you if the fob is communicating with the alarm system. Sometimes the fob and the system lose their minds and forget how to talk to each other.

There is a way to reset this but I don't know the procedure off the top of my head but in the meantime, if you have your owner's manual, it tells you how to disarm the system manually. That will at least get you up and running. Also, if you have your system set to arm automatically, you can disable that feature as well until you reset the system.

Let me know if you need the info from the owner's manual. I can look it up tonight.

Good luck.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nothing, no flashers. When I turn it on to start up, in just a few seconds after the fuel pump stops is when the security light comes on and everything is dead, no starter no turn signals. The headlight and the instrument panel is all that works. I'll check the codes tonight when I get home and see if that tells me anything.

·
Registered
79 Posts
mine did the same thing. I was re-routing the alarm siren to the front of the bike because of limited space under the seat....when doing the wiring I blew out the security fuse and it did exactly what this thread describes.

thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
591 Posts
A blown TSSM fuse caused by say, a shorted turn signal wire will cause this. The bike will run if you can push start it. Don't ask me how I know. :hidesbeh:

·
Rotor Trash
22 Posts
Dude, I have the same problem. Last night after class I went to start up and everything came on except for the engine. A classmate (riding a sweet cherry red Road King) told me that if you are near something that gives off high EMF it could interfere. The dealer had said the same thing. I figured that should be the problem since I was on base when it's happened numerous times. I guess I am going to have to make a aluminum foil ignition cover:banghead: .

·
H-D StepChild
940 Posts
Security Light On

Some Vrods have a clutch switch, some after market levers are not clutch switch capable. Please check with your HD Dealer before ordering....Not only will this light remain on, but you will no longer start your bike in gear with clutch depressed.

·
I fly lower now...
1,578 Posts
Ummm

6 years too late?

Mobile Response
Expect slow typing!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts