Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Steve
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I finally decided to install some of the parts that I bought last winter (okay, I've been busy). I installed some chrome levers (no problem there) and relocated my front turn signals to the lower triple tree. During my checkout ride, I noticed that my security key light remained "on" during the ride. That didn't seem familiar to me, so I checked the manual which states "... see the dealer for assistance".

I'm wondering if I might have disturbed something that might have caused this to happen and was wondering if anyone had anything similar happen to them. The long version of what I did follows below:

I've got a 2007 VRSCAW with the factory alarm. The bike was kept vertical in a chock (about 90 minutes) and the key fob was kept under the passenger grap strap. I did NOT remove the maxi-fuse. During the relocation, I disassembled the clamshell, setting the Instrument Cluster aside but did not disconnect it from its harness. I removed the headlight assembly and disconnected the harness for the front turn signals. I removed the pins for the right turn signal while I installed them onto the relo kit, then re-installed the wires and the harness connector after the turn signals were mounted. I checked the turn signals before putting everything back together and the lights worked just fine. I re-assembled the clamshell, the headlight assembly, then tucked the excess turn signal wiring into the space behind the left front louvered cover (along with the other front end harnesses and connectors). I didn't yank on anything too hard, but did have to re-arrange a few connectors to get the cover back on.

So... any ideas on what I may have done? Is it possible that the TSSM module didn't like having the front signals removed while it was armed? At this point, the TSSM is the only common point in the scenario.

The bike still starts and runs, so I'm not S.O.L. for the weekend. It's also still under warranty, so it shouldn't cost me anything to get it fixed.

Thoughts?

Steve

·
Retired Devil Dog
148 Posts
Down a little further in this forum. http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70404 Do you have a fault code 1154? Does the key light come back on after riding about a mile after resetting the fault? Betcha they gave you the wrong clutch handle. The '07s have a micro switch in the clutch housing to detect "clutch coast". Compare your old handle with the new, the old will probably have a ramp the new one does not have. Look into the clutch housing and you will see a micro switch that this ramp actuates. Don't forget to thank the dealer for giving you the wrong lever, they gave me a set of plugs for a twin cam today, swearing they were the right ones for a "07 DX........DC

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
From what I've read, Diablo has it right. Easy enough to check your fault codes.
srwilliams said:
I did NOT remove the maxi-fuse.
:spank:

·
Steve
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot DC. I'll pull the chrome lever and compare it to the old one, and check for the code. I wonder if I can add something to the new lever to make it work, or just short out the microswitch since I certainly don't understand why it needs to be there!

Steve

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
That switch on the clutch is a redundant safety so the bike will not start unless it is either in neutral, or the clutch is pulled in. New feature on all 2007 bikes. You'll notice that the left hand control has 8 wires instead of 6 (2006 and older bikes).

Best of luck.

RJ

·
Steve
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
srwilliams said:
...I'll pull the chrome lever and compare it to the old one...
Well, it was pretty obvious if you knew what to look for. Here's a few pictures, one showing the microswitch and the other a side-by-side of the levers. I guess I should have known something was up when the instructions referenced an original part that didn't exist on my '07. I did all sorts of comparing around the plunger area, but never thought of looking at the back portion of the lever.

I haven't checked for a code yet, though the security key light is no longer illuminated while the bike is running. It went on briefly when I started it (after switching back to the original lever), then went out.

Time to look up again how to check my codes...

Steve

Attachments

·
Steve
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rjrivero said:
That switch on the clutch is a redundant safety so the bike will not start unless it is either in neutral, or the clutch is pulled in. New feature on all 2007 bikes. You'll notice that the left hand control has 8 wires instead of 6 (2006 and older bikes).

Best of luck.

RJ
RJ,

I see it in the wiring diagram. Funny, I had that page of the manual open while I was looking up the front turn signal wiring harness. I never would have thought about comparing my '06 manual to the '07 (though I DID notice that there was only one lighting circuit page in the '07 manual).

Looks like I'll get my '07 levers chromed over Winter, then use the original chrome set on the '06 VRSCD. You just got to love the subtle improvements that Harley makes... it will probably be another 2 years until they offer chrome (or black) versions to fit the '07 and later models. Looks like I might have to add another comment to my next Advisory Panel survey.

Steve

·
Retired Devil Dog
148 Posts
srwilliams said:
RJ,

I see it in the wiring diagram. Funny, I had that page of the manual open while I was looking up the front turn signal wiring harness. I never would have thought about comparing my '06 manual to the '07 (though I DID notice that there was only one lighting circuit page in the '07 manual).

Looks like I'll get my '07 levers chromed over Winter, then use the original chrome set on the '06 VRSCD. You just got to love the subtle improvements that Harley makes... it will probably be another 2 years until they offer chrome (or black) versions to fit the '07 and later models. Looks like I might have to add another comment to my next Advisory Panel survey.

Steve
Apparently, the '07 diagnostic manual says fault code 1154 is a clutch coast nuisance fault (I now have one on order and will verify that). Keith at Eagle Harley explained to me that the ECM monitors the clutch handle and trips the TSSM if the clutch is engaged for more than 10 seconds while in motion like coasting down a hill. Since the micro switch is never closed with the wrong handle, once the bike is placed in motion the ECM thinks the clutch is engaged and trips the TSSM after 10 seconds. Why it is a key light hard fault makes no sense to me, I chased my tail for a few days thinking I had a TSSM problem but could not get it to happen while the bike was stationary which further frusturated me. Another mystery is the key light staying on for a nuisance fault, sounds like a programming issue to me.

The chrome '07 handles should be available, check for part number XXXXX-07, the black ones 42275-07 are available. Is the part number of the kit you received XXXXX-06? Some of the older literature references the -06 handles and the box even says for '06 and later VRSC models, but in reality a -07 is needed which says "new" on most literature I have seen.

Try leaving the fault code in memory and ask the dealer what it means........DC

·
Steve
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DiabloCanine said:
Keith at Eagle Harley explained to me that the ECM monitors the clutch handle and trips the TSSM if the clutch is engaged for more than 10 seconds while in motion like coasting down a hill. Since the micro switch is never closed with the wrong handle, once the bike is placed in motion the ECM thinks the clutch is engaged and trips the TSSM after 10 seconds. Why it is a key light hard fault makes no sense to me, I chased my tail for a few days thinking I had a TSSM problem but could not get it to happen while the bike was stationary which further frustrated me. Another mystery is the key light staying on for a nuisance fault, sounds like a programming issue to me.

Is the part number of the kit you received XXXXX-06? Some of the older literature references the -06 handles and the box even says for '06 and later VRSC models, but in reality a -07 is needed which says "new" on most literature I have seen.
This forum never ceases to amaze me. I was pretty sure that something I had done caused the problem, but I would have been looking for a LONG time without your explanation. I suppose that the TSSM could have the logic to detect this problem, since it uses movement to help determine when to shut of the turn signals. I'll leave the code alone and see what the dealer says. The bike is going in next week to get the SE 16ga exhaust download (this a leftover spring project).

My kit was the xxxxx-06 part, which did say for '06 and later bikes. The design team must have decided to make this improvement fairly late in the '07's design cycle, otherwise I doubt that they would have released the chrome kit for '06. Then again, it might explain why they were on the clearance rack :)

Thanks again for your help. I owe you a beer or two!

Steve

·
Retired Devil Dog
148 Posts
Received my Diagnostic Manual today. DTC B1154 is "Clutch switch short to ground". This DTC may occur if the vehicle is ridden with clutch disengaged at speeds greater than 10mph for more than 60 seconds (coasting down a long mountain road).......DC

1 - 10 of 10 Posts