Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this lift and would like your advice regarding the best way to secure the V on it. Thanks! Edit: Please be specific as to placement if you are recommending straps.

·
Ducking for cover!
8,455 Posts
cinching straps

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Lil, most come with a strap to secure them. Make sure not to hook the strap up until you have the bike lifted, then I open the seat and hook the strap across the frame at the front of the seat area so it doesn't mark anything.

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Perfect! Thanks, as always!!!

Can I use regular cinch straps as the originals were lost in moving?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Diamond Lil said:
Perfect! Thanks, as always!!!

Can I use regular cinch straps as the originals were lost in moving?
Yes I use some of the wratchet buckle straps when I do mine.

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! I'm getting ready to give those bushings a run!

·
Registered
922 Posts
Lil, in addition to the staps I sometimes use a second car jack (floor jack) under the rear wheel once the bike is up. It steadys it pretty well. Also, if your taking the rear wheel off, you may want to place something under the front wheel as the weight will shift forward suddenly once the rear wheel is removed. If you dont have a floor jack, then two or three bricks placed under the front will work.

·
LOS ANGELES
1,757 Posts
It looks like a Craftsman. That should come with 2 wratchet buckle straps. Like Max said, open your seat before strapping.

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MurphysLaw said:
Lil, in addition to the staps I sometimes use a second car jack (floor jack) under the rear wheel once the bike is up. It steadys it pretty well. Also, if your taking the rear wheel off, you may want to place something under the front wheel as the weight will shift forward suddenly once the rear wheel is removed. If you dont have a floor jack, then two or three bricks placed under the front will work.

Thanks. I'll have to put taking the wheel off directions in the file for now. I'm being daring trying to do the bushings on the jiffy stand. :)

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Scrmng E said:
It looks like a Craftsman. That should come with 2 wratchet buckle straps. Like Max said, open your seat before strapping.
The straps were lost when we moved from one home to another. :chair:

I do like that strap idea. Much more stable than going over the seat. Too squishy one would think.

Thanks

·
Ride Free, Alex!!!
1,422 Posts
Diamond Lil wrote...
"I do like that strap idea. Much more stable than going over the seat. Too squishy one would think.
Mmmmmmm....me too, Baby....but squishy's good sometimes, too, y'know... :lick:

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
I use the ratchet straps to the footpegs on mine; it's very stable and the straps are out of the way and easy to install/remove.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have the same lift-about 1 year now- haven't used it yet. I want to but was wondering, do you have someone hold the bike upright while lifting or will the bike right itself up as you lift?
Is this a one person job?:hmm:

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've never used it, but what I can tell you is that I bought it because my understanding was that it is a one person job as long as you place it properly under the motorcycle.

·
Dragon
92 Posts
Diamond Lil said:
I've never used it, but what I can tell you is that I bought it because my understanding was that it is a one person job as long as you place it properly under the motorcycle.

i do a little dance to get my bike started. my lift will not fit under my bike with the kickstand down so i stand the bike up w/my left hand and ease the lift under w/my right. i put the lift as far back on the frame as i can because the vrod is back-heavy. once i pump the jack the bike levels itself nicely on the lift and "bob's your uncle" away it goes. oh, small jobs i usually open the seat and strap across the middle down to the front attachment hooks. if it's more serious i strap from the back shock mounts to the back attachement hooks and the front trees to the front attachement hooks. it all depends on what i'm working on. careful when tourquing or moving cause the back stays real heavy. i learned this the hard way:bash: .

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
One man job. Put jack beside bike, straighten bike upright, step on pedal till bike goes up as high as needed. Piece of cake! Strap to foot pegs as needed.

·
Ride Free, Alex!!!
1,422 Posts
All kidding aside about your straps, your seat and you being squishy....and all that...

With my lowered VRSCA, I roll my bike up on some 2x6 blocks...about 10" long, and put the side stand down on another 2x6 block. Then, from the right (high) side, the Craftsman jack slips under the frame very nicely. While steadying the bike with my right hand on the right grip, I pump the jack with my right foot until it just touches the frame...a couple of more pumps and the bike sets level on the pads of the jack. Before I raise it all the way to the top, I tie it down using the straps - one under the seat like Max suggested, and the other under the front of the air box cover, so I can use the hold down catches for the air box to keep the strap from slipping. It's damned stable after that...I can even roll the jack with the bike strapped on it to the other side of the shop.

The Craftsman m/c jack also has some adjustable stabilizer legs that screw down to jam against the floor. These are very helpful, if not mandatory, when crankin' down on something...they completely immobilize the jack if they're screwed down far enough.

Hope this helps...

...and any time you need a strap across your seat....well, you know... :angeldev:

·
Phil Z.
1,117 Posts
I have the same jack and use it all the time. since our bikes are so low and this jack doesn't go low enough I let the bike over onto the stand and put the front wheel straight ahead, then with the jack pushed as far as it will go from the right (brake) side, I grab the right handle bar and pull the bike upright and while holding it there with my right hand I use my left hand to slide the jack straight in until about an inch of the black rubber on the jack support is visible. pump it up just until you feel the jack take the weight of the bike then reach down and adjust the levelers alternating left and right until they wont move anymore. now you can pump the bike up to the height you want, but make sure you drop the safety bar and let just enough pressure off the jack to lock both safetys into place. now you can strap the bike with the ratchet tie downs.

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow! You guys have got this down to a science! I would have thought there was no hope of getting the bike on the jack if it just didn't slide under. :notworth:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts