Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like my 02A, the power, handling,and it is comfortable, however, I am having second thoughts on the reliability-----with all the problems people on the forum are having with the V, I am getting to the point where I'm reluctant to take the bike on any trips. I have always had metric bikes before the V and never any real problems, and I have had a lot of bikes.
Am I over exaggerating????????? I have had to replace the coolant lines , fuel lines, coolant bottle, motor mount, headlight wiring----16,000 miles, whats next----shifter shaft, trans, my bike is stock and not ridin hard.
Input??? Thanks, Floyd

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Wow Floyd I have beat the crap out of mine and have 64k and going strong. When you say all the problems keep in mind people only post when they have a problem and not when they have had a great reliable bike. All I know is my v is twice as dependable as my last Honda was and never in 64k miles has it ever failed to bring me home or even made me think twice about riding it cross country.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
Just remember that many of them are "garage mechanics", nuff said? If you haven't had any problems then go riding and forget about the whining. I beat the shit out of my V and it begs for more!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Max, you are making me feel better, all I know is my 02A is the most enjoyable, best handling bike I ever had, bar none, and I want to keep it a long time, after all i'm going to be 72 years old come this Jan. and it probably will be the last bike I ever have,hehe.
Thanks again bro. Floyd

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I have only had mine for a few months and no problems. And I WOT all the time. Love the power.

·
Revolution02
3,978 Posts
I have ridden mine as hards as any rice bike I have ever owned, maybe even harder and she is as good as the day I bought her. I love mine and she will stay with me till I die and my son will get her!

·
Paintless Rider
1,326 Posts
Sound like you have gotten all the bugs out of it. For a first production year bike, I think my 02a is pretty solid. I haven't had it that long and bought it used. Sometimes it worries me, but that is because I wasn't able to find out any history about it at all. So far it hasn't let me down. Most of the cars or trucks I have owned have had more issues than the V-rod.

·
9 second club member
2,326 Posts
Im a hard rider also. everyyear I ride to the KC ralley 1200 miles one way race there at the track and then ride home. my bike is an 03 and 40k on it.

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
My '02 has 42K on it and has not had any problems. I did have to have the coolant bottle replaced because the nipple broke off, but that wasn't a 'left on the road dead' failure. My scoot has never even hiccuped and I'd get on it right now and head for the East Coast (but it'd be a dam cold ride!). I've replaced the fuel lines because it was recommended but my take-offs were fine. I've done most of my own service so I know it's been done correctly, and I've not had any of the other issues that are so much discussed on this site. My transmission shifts smoothly, motor is tight and strong, clutch works right, and I have no strange noises anywhere. Still on the original belt. I've not had any leaks, and none of the cases on my engine have ever been opened up except the cam covers for valve clearance adjustment. I did finally replace the brake pads (three years and 30K) and the battery (still good but 5 years old), but that's about it.

I've had a bunch of bikes in my lifetime, but this one has stayed the longest, and there's nothing else out there that trips my trigger like this one. I'll still have this machine after I'm done riding, I'm thinking.

·
Ducking for cover!
8,455 Posts
Floyd - you need to put things in perspective. There are a lot more V-Rods out there than there are members on this forum. One of the reasons this forum exists is so that people can find solutions to the problems they're having with their bike. I can assure you; you're going to run into the same thing no matter what forum for whatever vehicle you have.

·
FireBum
485 Posts
Floyd, I think its normal for the first model year of anything to have a few problems. The replacement parts are usually improved to eliminate the original defect. You may be in good shape now. I am extremely hard on everything I drive and the V has been one more example of my demanding nature. I've hammered this thing way harder than it was intended to be. Although It's only been one year and 10,000 miles, I'm more impressed as the days and miles go by. Fuggettaboutit and ride!

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
mattj said:
Im a hard rider also. everyyear I ride to the KC ralley 1200 miles one way race there at the track and then ride home. my bike is an 03 and 40k on it.
Same here,in fact I was out riding tonight.

I know people that own new RR's that have piles of problems.One guy has his new one in for the second time for tranny problems.

Elrod on the V-Rod:moped:

·
Dark Side
560 Posts
TexasV-Rod said:
Floyd - you need to put things in perspective. There are a lot more V-Rods out there than there are members on this forum. One of the reasons this forum exists is so that people can find solutions to the problems they're having with their bike. I can assure you; you're going to run into the same thing no matter what forum for whatever vehicle you have.
:them: So true.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts