Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Check that P clamp!
686 Posts
It's all free operating on mine. I've found under certain rpms and speeds it slips right in. The more aggressive the riding with shifts at higher rpms the more the dogs resist engaging without the mini grind thing going on. It is what it is since so many do it, I won't worry about the possibility of the dogs grinding off. They probably are but the effect might not be noticed until a bazzillion miles.
Ron
That might actually be somewhat "normal" for these, I've read lots of complaints about it and the "answer" is usually just amsoil. I've been running that in mine forever and don't see a difference at all. The shift lever did make a huge difference for me though, so I thought I'd throw it out there.
For what it's worth, mine was doing the same random clunky, grinding, stumble into gear thing for over 75,000 miles and still seems to be ok :)

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
That might actually be somewhat "normal" for these, I've read lots of complaints about it and the "answer" is usually just amsoil. I've been running that in mine forever and don't see a difference at all. The shift lever did make a huge difference for me though, so I thought I'd throw it out there.
For what it's worth, mine was doing the same random clunky, grinding, stumble into gear thing for over 75,000 miles and still seems to be ok :)
Doing the amsoil change likely tomorrow. Don't expect any difference, just prefer syn in my engine, that's all.
Ron

·
Registered
655 Posts
Doing the amsoil change likely tomorrow. Don't expect any difference, just prefer syn in my engine, that's all.
Ron
I will be better or at least it has helped on every bike i have had,and they all do it to a degree.The throw threw neutral is a bitch.Flicking the clutch also helps.the v rod is actually smoother than most other cruisers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello every one there.
I did open engine looking for a sight of what broke my gears output bearing and I found out it was the second gear. Well it is still making that horrible noise when doing from 1 to 2 gear. I researched quite a lot and I decided to remove the handle cover 2mm thicker than others. Clutch does not play properly with them. Already gears looking much better. CHECK THIS VIDEO FELLAS. https://youtu.be/QlOcODeUB6M

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hello every one there.
I did open engine looking for a sight of what broke my gears output bearing and I found out it was the second gear. Well it is still making that horrible noise when doing from 1 to 2 gear. I researched quite a lot and I decided to remove the handle cover 2mm thicker than others. Clutch does not play properly with them. Already gears looking much better. CHECK THIS VIDEO FELLAS. https://youtu.be/QlOcODeUB6M
If that horrible noise you speak of is like a grinding from first to second, it's somewhat normal. Try shifting to second at a lower speed and rpm or a brief pause in neutral before going into second. For racing, it will have that crunchy feel and sound slamming second gear.
Ron

·
Registered
15 Posts
I found that if I blip the throttle while shifting it helps make shifting a lot smoother. It's easier to find neutral from first when I do that too.

Jamie

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Yes rpm matching really helps jblange - also as Ron says shifting at a lower Rpm is great and it works for me -18 Mph to second is smooth as silk on my R model. I'm fixing it with hardened straight cut 2nd gears - to get rid of the helical type that side load the shafts -they just came in $ 370 from Robinson Industries, and I might do a "street cut " of the entire transmission gear sets to make it even smoother. Hopefully a full Rpm shift will be possible 1st to 2nd with no clunking, grinding or resistance to shifting. No reason with some attention to detail and new straight cut 2nd gears this Revo gearbox can't be smooth as silk. NWG output bearings can be defective from new H-D stock - refer to the " Transmission Bearing " thread, it often has nothing to do with your 2nd gear action.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts