Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've had my D for almost 8 months now. I've really gotten comfortable with handling it and I noticed I'm being a lot more aggressive with this bike than I've been with any street/cruiser. I guess to me it feels like a sport bike that's how I ride it. But along with the sport bike feeling come the aches and pains. I ride for hours at a time and only stop for gas and when I can no long handle the pain in my left side. As much as I love the mid controls I get serious hip pains like cramps. And putting my feet on the highway pegs transfers more weight to my butt and that only hurts more.

So I figure the seat height is too low for me with the mid pegs. And frankly the seat itself is not comfortable enough for long rides. I checked the Harley website. Are there any aftermarket seats that raise the seat height and provide a more comfy ride for the long haul?

Thanks

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
Peter, you could try the Tallboy seat. It supposidly moves the rider up & back. HD's got it listed at p/n 52927-05 for $259.95. In the pic it looks pretty comfy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the same problem. I put the Tallboy seat on and it gives about an inch and a half up and an inch back. It definitely helps but further back now has me thinking about handlebars with a longer pull back. I ride my BMW R1100S for the long hauls, I can be on that for 10 - 12 hours with minimal discomfort, but the Tall boy helped.

·
Banned
4,397 Posts
There is a member here who installs gel pads, leathers etc, something like american custome motorcycle seats, your limited with the D model, not to many choices..

·
Official bike nut
1,099 Posts
Ergoguy34 said:
There is a member here who installs gel pads, leathers etc, something like american custome motorcycle seats, your limited with the D model, not to many choices..
Ergo:
Just curious, who is the member?

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
Yarvis, it was amsss and check out this post for more info: link

·
Registered
19 Posts
Seat Problems

I was going to buy the sundowner but I was afraid it would change the look of the bike. Can you post some pics?

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
Jason Bell said:
I was going to buy the sundowner but I was afraid it would change the look of the bike. Can you post some pics?
Look in my gallery for Sundowner pix. It is bulkier than the other seats, but I can ride for 16 hours with no issues.

·
Registered
10,065 Posts
Brentley on the forum and several oldtimers up here say the Corbin is by far the best seat they've ever had. I have a stock seat now, and I am sure I will get a Corbin without even trying it out. Don't know if they raise your seat or not. Talk to Brentley. He made a believer of me. Just talked to a long time rider Saturday and he said Corbin - best seat ever, no question.

PattiO

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I checked out the Corbin site and the Mustang site. The Corbin seats are really nice and they have an excellent reputation. I'm convinced the problem is the seating position. The seat comfort or lack thereof is only exacerbating the problem. If Corbin made a seat that was higher and more comfortable - I'd buy it.

I've considered moifying the seat but that's a no no unless it's done by a pro.
I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks for the help.

·
Non-erator
9,795 Posts
Peter...

Call me and I will lend you either the Sundowner, Tallboy or both for a few days and you can try them out.

I also went through a few seats looking for the best one.

I don't think I found the perfect seat yet, but I'm generally comfortable on the Sundowner and the Tallboy.

I PM'd you my numbers to get in touch with me.

Cheers,
Mike

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
NightMare said:
Peter, you could try the Tallboy seat. It supposidly moves the rider up & back. HD's got it listed at p/n 52927-05 for $259.95. In the pic it looks pretty comfy.
Hi NightMare,

I went to check out Mikep's Tall Boy. It was considerably higher and further back. I thought it was a little too hard but the position is a lot better. The thing I really don't like is the passenger seat. I would definitely mod that if I had it. So I'm thinking maybe I should just mod the stock seat. I could have it done the way I want and padded with gel to be nice and comfy. It would end up costing as much as a new seat, but what the heck...

So my local HD dealer recommended a guy. I contacted him and he can do it for sometime in September. Untill then I'm gonna be taking a lotta breaks when I ride...

Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
urbanstyles said:
I put the HD Sundowner on.. much nicer.. 7 + hours no problem.
+1

It changed the look a little but it's a small price to pay. SD seat is the way to go...but I am 5'8 so the bike fits me perfectly anyhow.

·
Registered
148 Posts
It does change the look.. but it's a quick swap so I only put in on for longer trips... along with my windsheild and luggage.. Ten minutes to switch everything from off to on... I like the look of the stock seat best.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I too found the OEM seat uncomfortable. However I only got round to getting the sundowner after changing the rear suspension for a pair of fully adjustable WP and some progressive springs up front.

Overall the bike is comfortable because of the seat and the suspension lets me get there more "securely"

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I went to see a seat guy on friday.
He said he can definitely raise the seat height but not much he can do to push back the seat position. I will do it anyway.
But I must say- the Corbin Young Gun seat is the nicenst I've seen.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sundowner seat made all the difference to me. I had a Goldwing before my NightRod and was used to comfort. I rode 400 mile rides and found the stock seat uncomfortable. The sundowner seat made all the difference. I'm in the process now of having the Bmodel extended reach handle bars put on now as I am short and have to lean forward.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts