Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of picking up one of those Sears Motorcycle lifts. Do they work OK. Has anyone had any experience with them. Do they do the job and are they worth the money?

Thanks

GAry

·
Ted
1,631 Posts
I like mine but I have nothing to compare it with. I think you will find many on this forum agree it is one of the better ones for the v-rod. The only negative is I must hold the bike upright in order so slip it under the frame. Very tight fit.

·
V-ROD User
99 Posts
Go look at Sam's wholesale. That is where I got mine, it is about the same but comes with more attachments. I paid 85 for it. It works great.

·
Cruzin' the Canyons
1,485 Posts
you should check out the new lift Harley have (VERY COOL)
But $300.00 - Looks like high quality lift & roller.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just lean the kick stand on a 2x4 and that will give you enough clearence for the the lift, it does for mine which is a Canadian tire version.

Michel

ihringert said:
I like mine but I have nothing to compare it with. I think you will find many on this forum agree it is one of the better ones for the v-rod. The only negative is I must hold the bike upright in order so slip it under the frame. Very tight fit.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
I have one that I use all the time on both my rods. As others have stated the bike must be leaned up to get the jack under but it is easy to lean straight and then slide the jack under. The good thing about that is the jack can be down all the way and the bike still would not turn over even if the stand were left up.:)

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
Max said:
The good thing about that is the jack can be down all the way and the bike still would not turn over even if the stand were left up
Its not a problem, its a feature! :laugh:

Seriously, the Craftsman is a pretty good piece of home equipment. And some sort of lift is pretty useful for a whole bunch of bike maintenance/upgrade tasks. I've had mine for a couple of years and it has held up well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help from everyone. Picked one up and I am going to rip open the box here very shortly.

Thanks

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
You''ll Love It! :cool:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK Guys! I feel like a Total Dip Shi% here. I got the Jack open and I put it together and I was going to give it a try and I realized I didn't even know the obvious.

MY question: Just exactly where do I place the jack under the Bike so as not to put the stress in the wrong area. It is very close under there so is there a trick to getting the V-rod up on he sears jack. I think I may have to roll the bike up on to something to get it high enough to get the jack under it. Also where do I place the jacl under the bikes frame?

Any of yuou guys still have enough patience left to help the rockie.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
purevenom said:
OK Guys! I feel like a Total Dip Shi% here. I got the Jack open and I put it together and I was going to give it a try and I realized I didn't even know the obvious.

MY question: Just exactly where do I place the jack under the Bike so as not to put the stress in the wrong area. It is very close under there so is there a trick to getting the V-rod up on he sears jack. I think I may have to roll the bike up on to something to get it high enough to get the jack under it. Also where do I place the jacl under the bikes frame?

Any of yuou guys still have enough patience left to help the rockie.
thats it i'm through helpin! :chair: I SAY WE LET HIM FIND OUT THE HARD WAY! :diablo:
J/K ;)

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Purevenom, you lift the bike by the frame, under the engine area. Roll the jack to the exhaust side of the bike. roll the jack forward until it touches the underside of the engine area, making sure that the jack pads are under the flat sections of the bike frame. Grab the handle bar and pull the bike to an upright position. While holding the bie upright, slide the jack underneath the the frame. make sure you leave about 1 1/2" of pad showing (it sould be approx. the same on the left side). Start raising the jack, and the bike will settle onto the pads. Once there, lift until you have it at the desired height. (note: the bike will rock alittle backwards due to the weight balance being a little rearwards.)

This is my method. some have different ones. Hope that this helps.

·
Rocky Mountain VRodr
524 Posts
You know, for $80, the Sam's Club lift looks great! It has stabilizing bars that swing out to ensure there is no tippage. Anyone ever use one?

KARAF

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think I have a problem with my jack. It doesn't go down far enough to get under the bike. What I am trying to say is that the jack does not freely slide under my V-rod. The Bike is just to low for the lowest setting of the jack. The jack hits the side of the frame and nver even gets under the frame...whell mabe about 1" or so. I was thinking of rolling the bike up on a board to get it high enough to slide the Jack under. Open to better suggestions.

I told everyone I was new at this. I know that my machanical knowledge and abilities need some work. Hopfully with some experience it will improve.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
If the jack still doesn't fit under the bike after standing it upright, then get some thin wood or 3/4" plywood and put under the tires only. Then try the jack again. It should fit after lifting the bike upright.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
on my bike "lowered and 240 rear" I always need a custom wedged 2x4 I made thats 2ft long.It works perfect.I ride right up sitting on the bike I role the jack under the bike.jack it up with my left foot.Jack is on my left.Enough pumps to get the wheels off the ground and I get off.It looks pretty cool when it's done,and is very easy once you learn how. :kaz:

·
4,638 Posts
Super Kaz said:
on my bike "lowered and 240 rear" I always need a custom wedged 2x4 I made thats 2ft long.It works perfect.I ride right up sitting on the bike I role the jack under the bike.jack it up with my left foot.Jack is on my left.Enough pumps to get the wheels off the ground and I get off.It looks pretty cool when it's done,and is very easy once you learn how. :kaz:

KAZ..... Please your getting me excited......

Originally Posted by Super Kaz
on my bike "lowered and 240 rear" I always need a custom wedged 2x4 I made thats 2ft long.It works perfect.I ride right up sitting on the bike I role the jack under the bike.jack it up with my left foot.Jack is on my left.Enough pumps to get the wheels off the ground and I get off.It looks pretty cool when it's done,and is very easy once you learn how. :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts